[DEMO] Turn it off!

WerTicus

Veteran X
Okay i have bought the game! Now I want more players in it - so force the demo chumps who are cheap to either buy it or go away.

No, I tell people about this game and I let them borrow a CD with the demo and some movies on it. They won't immediately buy the game unless they try the demo.

Also I don't think the Euros even have the retail availible yet, so they need something to keep them occupied.

Add 1 or 2 levels to the demo, fix the netcode, and perhaps more peeps will play.
Why resort to more stupid decision making?

no, do not add more maps to the demo, keep it just that: a demo. And in future promotional movies show mostly footage of the maps that are not in the demo.

Guy.Welch needs to release a NEW SP demo actually. The arena SP demo was HORRIBLE in that it didnt give an accurate impression of just what the SP is about and like. I wouldnt have otherwise purchased T:V based on the T:V demo.

Guy, release the first Mercury episode. If that doesnt hook them, then nothing will.

But he wont read this in any case.

JimBodkins said:
Guy.Welch needs to release a NEW SP demo actually. The arena SP demo was HORRIBLE in that it didnt give an accurate impression of just what the SP is about and like. I wouldnt have otherwise purchased T:V based on the T:V demo.

Guy, release the first Mercury episode. If that doesnt hook them, then nothing will.

But he wont read this in any case.
I have no idea what the first Mercury mission is like (post a spoiler and I'll steal your megahurtz), but it can only be better than the arena.

The current SP demo actually is UT with jetpacks.

Amadeu5 said:
I have no idea what the first Mercury mission is like (post a spoiler and I'll steal your megahurtz), but it can only be better than the arena.

The current SP demo actually is UT with jetpacks.

I wont spoil it. It involves a non-human assasin that traverses some interesting terrain and has an interesting mission. Visually interesting, interesting story element and mission.

Posting the mercury episode would definitely attract players, but they wouldn't get a good idea of what the whole game is like, so the good shoppers might not bite.

Edit: also releasing a second demo would be seen as an act of desperation.

My sense was that the SP demo occured early at about the time the beta's were out. They could release a different episode for the Euro release to cover their motives.

Amadeu5 said:
I'll pretend you never said that.

Pretending. So whats different?

Makes sense to me. If people aren't buying the game, than beef up the demo. Beats waiting for the limited number of modders to save it.
The SP sucks badly in all respects. It reminds me a great deal of a combination of UT and Serious Sam with jetpacks.
Releasing a new one will likely increase sales but will do little for online MP.

Last edited:
Actually the demo is hurting itself. The 4 maps they allow you to play is an over abundance of crap. The only decent map being Emerald, they'll assume all the beta maps are indicative of the retail maps(which they are, but we want people to buy into this crap)

menes said:
Pretending. So whats different?

Makes sense to me. If people aren't buying the game, than beef up the demo. Beats waiting for the limited number of modders to save it.
The SP sucks badly in all respects. It reminds me a great deal of a combination of UT and Serious Sam with jetpacks.
Releasing a new one will likely increase sales but will do little for online MP.
My post was directed more to the original idea of the thread.

Anyway, new maps for the demo won't do the game any good. In fact, why would people buy the full game when they can get new maps for the free demo?

As for the SP demo, it should be canceled and a new one should be released (with the better physics, a different mission etc.), but that won't happen. I don't know who's responsible for choosing the SP demo's mission, but he didn't make a very good decision.

Amadeu5 said:
My post was directed more to the original idea of the thread.

Anyway, new maps for the demo won't do the game any good. In fact, why would people buy the full game when they can get new maps for the free demo?

Basically because the present demo maps are super small and suck.
PLUS people just aren't buying the game.
VG has seen enough feedback on WHY people aren't buying, so the easiest thing to do is add 1 or 2 better maps, if not adding additional depth.

Anyway turning off the demo is clearly not the answer cause worst case the demo folk won't buy the game and the mp numbers would really scream failure.

Last edited:
WerTicus said:
Okay i have bought the game! Now I want more players in it - so force the demo chumps who are cheap to either buy it or go away.

Wow, just because of what you said I'm even MORE embarrassed to be a member. You make us look bad please shut up.

you cant pressure people into joining a game unfortunately. most likely it will be a slow transition to get players into tribes.

also vivendi i'm SURE is playing high ball with the current price. they just wanted to see how many suckers they could get to buy the game for that much. after a while they'll quickly bring it to something reasonable, maybe 30, and then the new players will start making the jump.

if anything demo will be the rope that brings them in.

They chose that SP mission because of it's replay value, I think. Most of the other missions are fairly linear, unless you're horrible and die every 5 minutes. In the arena, you get a good taste of what you'll be going against in the retail, from the ninjas all the way to the armored corps..

I don't think it was a bad choice, we're just not satisfied because we're whiny vets that will bitch at any little thing they throw at us. :)

WerTicus said:

Thats right close the demo down for a game that hasnt even been released yet to half the world :rolleyes:

Its members like you that give other members a bad name, please think before you post and save yourself the embarressment.

Back