Dedicated servers are the lifeblood of PC gaming. This sans-servers trend is death

Doaln

Contributor
Veteran XV
So I was reading on Ars Technica about how Microsoft and Infinity Ward are banning people for using a glitch. I'm reminded of course that MW2 doesn't offer dedicated servers, so this basically kills the PC users for the duration of the ban.

Background info in spoiler
Spoiler

What's interesting is the last full paragraph of the article (link in spoiler info btw)

No one is going to defend cheating, but glitches, exploits, and bugs have long found their way into strategy and helped to move gaming forward. Would rocket jumpers have been banned from Xbox Live? If Valve shut down dedicated servers and sought to control every aspect of their games, would there have been Counter Strike? The control Microsoft exerts over Xbox Live, and its ability to block your access to online play remotely, and without appeal, means that you'll be playing the games how they want.

Starsiege: Tribes was obviously awesome because of a bug (after skiing ruined Tribes). But also, what about the recent lack of dedicated servers in PC gaming.

For example, I'm thinking specifically Borderlands. Borderlands seems like the perfect game for a community mod paradise. With the right tools, the community could easily double or triple the variety of the game. Modders could create more bad guys, guns, levels, classes, etc. Think of all the shit Oblivion or Morrowind has. Borderlands could have been awesome.

Apparently iD Software currently plans on having no server support for their next game Rage. iD Software dropping dedicated server support has me seriously concerned as a PC gamer. I hope Carmack changes his mind.

/end ranting ramble

spanish_inquisition.jpg

I wasn't aware that it was a trend? I thought only MW2 had done it so far.

Same. I've seen numerous PC developers state their intent to support dedicated servers following the excitement from the MW2 debacle.

It's funny to watch IW and MS's heavy-handed approach come back to bite them in the ass. They have really botched this whole MW2 experience.

It's funny to watch IW and MS's heavy-handed approach come back to bite them in the ass. They have really botched this whole MW2 experience.

Hooker, please. I'm as bummed as anyone about this anti-PC move. I got so much mileage out of CoD4, just like I got out of CoD:UO, and CoD vanilla. It was a lock for more hours gaming than I'd care to confess because it's shameful.

But let's not lose sight of the facts:

Modern Warfare 2 sales nuke all previous records | csmonitor.com

Read 'em and weep: "highest grossing launch in entertainment history. You might even know that tard in the picture who probably fragged a couple nerds [with his deluxe edition night vision goggles on] and chucked a flashbang into Gamestop in order to get those copies

That aside, it's clear that nothing is biting IW in the ass except fits of unstoppable laughter as their executives sip on mimosas and get blow jobs in Vegas hot tubs this winter.

Nerdvirgin petitions and low PC sales are utterly expendable.

being able to customize your server and playing on other's is the only reason fps's stick around the length they do. Hell I still love TF2 because there are a couple servers that just have some neat customizations.

Lastnight a TF2 server I play on added the Dice mod. We were having a blast playing around wth it.

You type in !rtd which stands for "roll the dice" and it randomly gives you a bonus or negative. Sometimes you blow up, sometimes you go blind and sometimes it gives you god mode.

I rolled 1 second before start when we were on D. I recieved insta kill. I was demo so every single one of my stickies or pipe bombs kills anyone who takes even the smallest about of damage. I killed their entire team twice over with it. It was hilarious. People on my team were so busy laughing nobody was helping me. 20+ kills in 20 seconds. I liked it. :D

Last edited:
is using sans a hip new trend way to use french in english, or has it been used for sometime? i've never heard people say it except for on a few threads on TW

obviously way out of the cool loop on tw

depends on the game of course..you dont want private diablo server for instance

why not? weren't mods very popular with Neverwinter Nights? There could still be the vanilla official servers, just like there are for games now (like Left 4 Dead 2) but custom servers with extra mod community content would be great.

and i said trend because Rage (by iD Software) will not have dedicated server support according to John Carmack. that's two huge games in a year (assuming Rage comes out 2010)

Last edited:
20+ kills in 20 seconds. I liked it. :D

that sounds incredibly unbalanced. i see what you're saying with the customization stuff but i can guarantee i'd quit the game if playing a server with big game mods like that

i do like that most players eventually come to realize a certain gametype is the most balanced and competitive. tribes 1 base for example was a much more competitive, balanced, and skill-oriented gametype than renegades or shifter for example. the great part about it was people had the option, a bigger number chose the base type I believe, but the option was there.

unfortunately I don't think this would work on games with smaller communities. MW2 is not one of these though...

i agree 100% with the op

it makes me sad. i played quite a lot of cod4, but i refuse to buy mw2.
now that im older and have less time to play games i can be more selective.
so i mostly stick to games from companies that i dont hate.

Last edited:
I guess one instance is a "trend". Doaln must have gone to Fox News School of Journalism.

Also, as for the MS and IW bannings. I am all for it. I realize that "glitches" in games can sometimes add a whole new level the gameplay experience. BUUUT, when developers & the community at large decide that a glitch is actually an exploit then they are within their rights to ban users who repeatedly exploit the glitch--at least until the patch is released. There is nothing gayer than the giant faggot that finds a way to fall into the map and run under people shooting or, in this case, turn themselves into a suicide predator missile-like bomb. "Oh but the developers made the game and the users are just playing within the bounds of the game"... give me a fucking break you losers.

IMO, the nerdrage over the bannings stems from butthurt cheaters that got caught using a cheap exploit.

Which would cause more problems?

A. Releasing a rushed patch that fucked something else up. God knows the nerdrage over that would be exponentially worse.
B. Temp banning people who repeatedly exploit the glitch while developing a patch that works.

A
which is why i suggested it

or C: Release MW3 in 6 months bundled with a plastic gun peripheral for $129

Last edited:
Back