[Decisions] I just got a job offer so I of course come to TW for advice.

gibsonic

Veteran X
Ok...

So...

I've been at my current job 7 years. It's been old most of that time. The pay is not where it should be, but the bene's are pretty good. This is a dead end job unless someone dies. Cost of living here is really low btw.

I make ~$50k salary + yearly bonus.

The job is for $38/hr guaranteed 40hrs/week with a possiblity of more hours, though not at time and a half. It's an 18-month contract position that could go perm or at least get a few month extension. ~$80k/year

The placement agency has decent bene's though not as good as what I have now, so that will be extra cost.

The downside to the new job is that I may not be on TW much if ever. :)

The real downside is that it's a tech lab environment, fast pased and more pressure than my current lazy cushy job. (private office with outside window)

The job is also just doing the same thing all day with only minor variance. No travel is required and it's a little closer drive.

They only did a phone interview and want to hire me. I dropped a few names of people I work with at their company and that must have done the trick...or something.

They want me to start 2 weeks from tomorrow.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to take it, i've just got to work out the benefits cost compared to my current job.

What say ye TW?

cliffs:
got offer for new job that is ~$30k MORE per year, should I take it?

your not being on tw any more is not a detriment

I'd never exchange a good job with an office for a temporary consulting type gig which temporarily offers me more hours and more money, but I'm extremely risk averse and value life comfort over job comfort

skweek

on a serious note it sounds like you'd be going from a shitty job to an even shittier job with only 18 months of job security for more money (for those 18 months)

sounds like a stupid idea to me unless you won't have a problem getting another job after this one ends

your not being on tw any more is not a detriment

I'd never exchange a good job with an office for a temporary consulting type gig which temporarily offers me more hours and more money, but I'm extremely risk averse and value life comfort over job comfort

see that's me. the work isn't really all that hard (programming small phone systems), but im all about creature comforts, plus i got a wife, 3 kids and mortgage...STABILITY IS KEY...but ive proven im marketable and will be keeping my options open for other positions along the 18-month ride....including my relocation to Oregon (sorry ptavv and Brasstax)

but for $30k more...that alone would put us in a great financial position in less than a year.

I don't think you should take it because for all you know your next yearly bonus could be $35k.

not likely. the biggest it's ever been was ~$5k before taxes..so i brought home like a buck 25 or something. fuck the IRS!

my bonus is based off of corporate earnings, which are struggling again.

no

18-month job security basically means you need to start looking for another job halfway in

also, is the guaranteed 40-hours/week in contract or did they just say "trust me, we'll give you 40 hours a week of work?"

this has the potential to be a shitty blowup, especially since i'm inherently skeptical of internship-type positions where they give you only a limited employment time

although this might not be the best switch for you, I do think it's time to make A SWITCH going from your current job description. 7 years and maxed out at 50k/year with no room for promotion... yeah it's time for a new job bro. Look around, there should be options open that give you room for career advancement.

Just curious, what do you do?

30k gets taxed down pretty hard, you'll make more money, but 50k is about $1,500 every 2 weeks here in MA. 80k is around $1,800. So you're talking about $600 bucks a month after taxes. It's a big raise, to be damn sure, but it's so temporary that I'd be weary of it. If you feel you're so damn marketable, keep shopping for a 70k job with job security and keeps some of your creature comforts

skweek

on a serious note it sounds like you'd be going from a shitty job to an even shittier job with only 18 months of job security for more money (for those 18 months)

sounds like a stupid idea to me unless you won't have a problem getting another job after this one ends

i don't have a problem with the duration really. it's obviously less secure than my current position. I'm not worried about finding a job that makes at least what I make now or more after or during my 18 months. I will keep my job seekers going the whole 18-months.

I would worry about that "could" part of the 18-month contract. The only reason I took my current job (which had a similar increase in pay) was because it was contract to hire - which means the offer came to me from the client company before I even started with the consultancy that recruited me.

Back