Dear Road Runner Customer,

DarkBlade

Veteran XX
Please be aware that Road Runner has received a report of unsolicited or bulk
email from a machine connected to the cable modem on your Road Runner
Internet connection. This violates the Road Runner AUP (Acceptable Use Policy)
for your residential account. We are aware that the majority of such activity is
caused by an infected or compromised computer. You will receive an email to
your Road Runner master email address with additional information regarding
this incident. If you are unsure of your Road Runner email address, please
contact your local office.

We ask that you read the Road Runner Acceptable Use Policy and bear in
mind that violations of the Road Runner AUP can result in actions taken against your
account up to and including account suspension and or termination of high speed data
service. Please be aware that these steps are taken to protect the quality of service
we provide to you and the rest of our customers.

To resume your normal Internet connectivity, click the button below.

For additional information on securing your machine, please go to help.rr.com.

What a bunch of crap, plus on one computer I can only access TW now. Anyone else gotten something similar. I would figure it would be one of those ambiguous e-mails about downloading something from a torrent but this just makes it seem like a computer is infected with a zombie/bot when in fact it is not the case.

More likely, you don't know what you're talking about and your computers are spamming the internets...

What a bunch of crap, plus on one computer I can only access TW now. Anyone else gotten something similar. I would figure it would be one of those ambiguous e-mails about downloading something from a torrent but this just makes it seem like a computer is infected with a zombie/bot when in fact it is not the case.

virus time anyone?

that happened to me, they turned off our internet. i must have been churning them out. we had to go down and sign something saying we would quit spamming. when we had no idea we were in the first place.

You're infected. Happened to a buddy of mine who was clueless as well.

First off, its not monitoring that got you, its many people reporting they got mail originating from your IP address. It was sent to roadrunner, they didnt go looking for it.

Secondly, your going to tell me that they blocked access on your computer to all sites except TW?!? Do really think TW is that high up on their list of "must have access to sites"?

Update your virus def
turn off system restore
boot into safe mode
scan for nastiness
virus, spyware etc etc

This is rather odd, as most broadband ISP's like RoadRunner would ban port 25 traffic outbound (and would suggest using their SMTP server instead if you really had to run a mail server at home.)

Easy answer is unplug the computer from the router (you are using a router, right? no direct unfirewalled connection to the intarweb, right?) for a day or two. Call them back, have them check the logs and see if the spam disappeared. If so, burn all your mansex pr0n to CD/DVD and format/reinstall.

Back