D&D Lite Thread I: Pythons of Fate

swollins agrees with waffles suggestion but first wants to stop and see if any tavern wenches are up for a quickie

maybe they know these fuckin scums and can give Intel on the situation

Doggor could ride Hasken but Maggie isn't strong enough to carry both Goshin and Meyog

e8026dcf9dbcbd52001fbfd6cb5d2310.jpg

or

222b1055908ad4bd534027018114eb3b.jpg

otherwise, there's "Spell Jamming", which is pretty much interstellar space travel on ships that seem to be hybrid: tradition vessel and giant ocean creature.

ya lets buy horses if we have monies

Based on what I remember from the last time, you all have enough money collectively to purchase a single horse, assuming you took the cleric's money before leaving him in the cave, and you're not too picky about the quality of the horse.

Dmaul

“One step closer and you’ll find it difficult to see with an arrow in your eye!” Dmaul declared to the approaching riders.

“Easy there Dmaul,” a familiar voice replied. “With your aim you’re more likely to blind my horse,” the man chuckled.

As the group entered the firelight, Dmaul could see them clearly. Opfor’s men, well a few of them anyway. The man who spoke was named Illo, although women referred to him as “Cute” Illo, due to his boyish charms and childish antics. His toothy grin was almost always present on his face, and he just had that sort of look that women found attractive. Dmaul knew him to be carefree, but also careless, bordering on reckless. He lowered his bow. “Hello Illo.”

Illo hopped off his horse and walked over, shaking Dmaul’s hand in greeting. “Looks like we got here in time for dinner,” said Illo, reaching out to cut off a piece of the cooked rabbit. “You boys want any?” he asked the other two riders behind him, who had since dismounted as well. They shook their heads.

Illo shrugged and cut himself off another piece, ignoring Dmaul’s sudden stoicism. He began talking as he chew. “Didn’t make it very far did ya? That’s ok, we brought a horse for you. Opfor wants us to set up an ambush for anyone who looks like they’re also heading to Ogl. Got his two best archers here with me. With you that makes three. You’re ok with a bow right?”

Dmaul raised an eyebrow. “An ambush? From where exactly? The road is barren of cover.”

Illo looked nonplussed. “Does it really matter? We’ve got archers, they probably don’t. We’ll find a spot somewhere up ahead, no doubt about it. I’m not worried. Got any more rabbit?”

Dmaul could feel a headache coming on.

Swollins, Ztir, Skittlebrew, and Waffles

Swollins emerged from the stables, three horses in tow. Presumably they had belonged to their dead attackers, although none of them felt inclined to ask him. “Looks like transportation is covered,” Swollins laughed. “Let’s find ourselves another tavern. I always say nothing is better after a fight than a beer and a woman.”

Ztir and Skittlebrew nodded, and hoisted themselves up onto their new mounts. Waffles jumped up behind Swollins on the third horse. “You there,” Swollins shouted at a passing bucket holder. “Is there another tavern close by, one that is less on fire?”

The man scowled, but choked down any thought of a clever retort. “You got coin?” he asked.

“None of your fucking business what I’ve got,” Swollins barked.

The man blanched under Swollins angry tone. “I only ask because if you’ve got coin, The Whispering Eye is where you want to go, two streets over that way. If you don’t, there’s always The White Swallow.”

The four shared a look with each other, and suggested “The Whispering Eye” in unison. “Ask for Emy,” the man advised before returning to the desperate attempts to extinguish the fire at The Busted Pig.

They rode two streets over, and found it where the man had said. It was a fairly non-descript building, nothing too fanciful, just a large red door with windows on either side, illuminated by red candles. Flower boxes filled with red roses were hung beneath the windows. There was a sign hanging out from above the door with “The Whispering Eye” written in loopy letters and roses carved in the wood beneath it. They wasted no time in tying their horses up and entering the building.

Inside it was warm and cozy. The ceiling was a little low for Swollins and Ztir, but it wasn’t uncomfortable. A small common area was off to the left of the entrance, filled with comfortable looking chairs and cushions. On the far side of the room was a well-polished bar, behind which stood a skinny barkeep who was busy cleaning mugs. Throughout the room were several pretty girls, who looked terribly bored. It was hardly surprising as there appeared to be only one other customer in the joint.

A redheaded woman approached them in the entrance. She had dark brown eyes and a smattering of freckles across her nose. “Welcome to The Whispering Eye! How may we be of service?” she inquired.

“I was told to ask for Emy,” Swollins replied.

“I am Emy,” the redhead replied. “This is my establishment. We offer a wide range of libations, food and companionship. Was there something in particular you were looking for?”

“Drinks for my men, and entertainment. This one here needs his arm tended to as well,” Swollins laughed, clapping Ztir on his back.

Emy smiled, “I’m sure we can manage that. Forgive my bluntness, but in these trying times I must ask up front to see some form of payment.”

Swollins tossed her a rather full purse that jingled as she caught it. “I’ll assume that’s more than enough,” he laughed.

She stole a quick glance inside. “Gentlemen, please enjoy your stay with us,” she winked and disappeared into an adjoining room.

“This seems like an excellent place to pump someone for information, eh boys?!” Swollins laughed.

Goshin, Meyog, Doggor, and Maggie

“Oy!” Doggor shouted at the guard. “Is there a place we can buy a horse around here?”

The guard chuckled and spit on the ground. “Haven’t had a good look around here have you?” he laughed. “Most everyone who had a horse left weeks ago. Might be Ol’ Johnny has some stock left, his place is just down the way,” he pointed down a road to the left. “I wouldn’t trust him further than I can throw him if I was you. Man doesn’t have an honest bone in his body.”

They thanked the guard and set out in the direction of Ol’ Johnny’s stable. After walking for about ten minutes along the dirt avenue, they found the stable. The guard had been right about the pickings. The stables were empty save for two horses, a goat and one mangy dog that growled at Haskens as they approached. The two horses were in sad condition, one looked like it had never gotten a full meal in her life, and the other looked like he had lived two decades longer than he should have. His right eye was milk white, obviously blind.

“What can I do for you lads?” a man asked, appearing seemingly out of nowhere. He had dirty blond hair that looked remarkably like the straw strung about on the floor of the stables. He was instantly unlikable.

“Are you Johnny?” Meyog asked him.

“Aye, that I am. That I am. Name’s Johnny, but people call me Ol’ Johnny for short. Looking to buy a horse? No finer place than Ol’ Johnny’s. You won’t find a better animal anywhere in the city!”

“That’s hard to believe,” Doggor muttered, looking at the horses. “Are these all you have?”

“Indeed, quality animals both! I can assure you they’re worth every coin. The young mare is Timber and this sturdy beast is Wheatley,” Johnny said, patting the old stallion on the rump. “Frankly I’m not sure I even want to sell them, it would be too difficult to provide for my family without them.”

“This one looks underfed. Can she even support a rider?” Meyog asked, pointing at the mare.

“Of course she can, wouldn’t sell her if she couldn’t. She’s stronger than she looks, she comes from real good stock. Two days in the open air with fresh grass and she’ll fatten right up, I’m sure of it!”

“Thissh one issh blind,” Goshin waved at Wheatley.

“Nonsense! Oh I won’t lie, he has trouble seeing out of his right eye, but like I always say, ‘You don’t need to make a right turn when you can make three lefts!’ am I right? I’m right. You’ll never find a more loyal and capable horse. In fact I don’t think I can bear to part with him. My children would be most upset with me if I did,” said Johnny.

“How much are you asking for them?” Meyog inquired.

“Oh I couldn’t sell them for less than one hundred gold apiece, I have a family to feed. I might be able to knock that down to eighty gold apiece if you take them both. It comforts me to know that they could stay together. They’re really good friends you know. Say would you be interested in trading your horse straight up? That seems like a win-win. Timber and Wheatley get to stay friends, and I’ll still have a capable horse to help feed my family. What do you say?” The words came at a blur, Johnny was quite a fast talker.

What's the one patron look like? Should we flex on him and get the club to ourselves for the night?

Back