Crysis 2 leaked 49 days early.

Personally I think video/computer games have become the latest way to over inflate budgets into the stratosphere much like the movie industry has.

60 million dollars eh? well then I guess these fat fucks need to spend a little more of that money on their employee salaries so they don't get so put off by being worked to death and then laid off that they leak a copy of the game onto the web.

As for the leak itself, unless Crytek really screws up by not supporting the PC base with mod tools and public server code then they're going to reap the whirlwind of a disgruntled community - which they created in the first place.

Despite what is included with the leaked beta files they're already saying a big N O to allowing private server hosting, I'll be absolutely floored if EA allows Crytek to officially release the sandbox editor for the game.

Also, poor Valve. They had HL2 beta "leaked" onto the web and everyone and their dog downloaded it. Oh, it went on to sell 12 million copies?

Well so much for the doom and gloom theory.

The Master of Online Mayhem - Forbes.com

Unfortunately for the industry, not every game can be a Halflife 2.

EA incurs $322 million loss in Q3, 22% of employees in 'low cost locations' | Joystiq

So their profits are way down, and then they're hit with this leak? What's the natural response going to be? FUCK THE PC!

I hate to say it, but people are kidding themselves if they don't think that these sorts of things are damaging in the least. There's been less and less interest in developing titles with high production values, especially on the platform that's the easiest to pirate software with. People bitch about games being consolized, but really that's where the focus is because that's the only area that garners a decent return on their investment. PC is an afterthought, and is delayed in some cases because piracy is a problem.

What's more worrying is mentioned right in that article. Iphone games, and social games seem to be a hit for two reasons. Development costs are dirt cheap in comparison to many other things, and secondly people actually pay for these games because the platform is relatively well locked down. If those are the types of games that are going to make a profit, that's exactly what you're going to see more of in the market.

EA incurs $322 million loss in Q3, 22% of employees in 'low cost locations' | Joystiq

So their profits are way down, and then they're hit with this leak? What's the natural response going to be? FUCK THE PC!

I stopped there. EA is a horrible company who never innovates and does nothing but milk games completely dry and then moves on. I've refused to play most game that have their logo on it (minus games made by Bioware) and have been better off for it. I'm sure many others have did the same which doesn't help their profits I'm sure, but they've did it to themselves. [/ngfm]

Maybe if they started actually caring more about the games they make (and their own employees) and less about money grabbing they'd start doing better.

I stopped there. EA is a horrible company who never innovates and does nothing but milk games completely dry and then moves on. I've refused to play most game that have their logo on it (minus games made by Bioware) and have been better off for it. I'm sure many others have did the same which doesn't help their profits I'm sure, but they've did it to themselves. [/ngfm]

Maybe if they started actually caring more about the games they make (and their own employees) and less about money grabbing they'd start doing better.

And who is a good company? Activision sure as shit isn't doing much better. Call Of Duty keeps going down the shitter with this annual release crap. They've made so many fucking stupid plastic toy music games even koreans can't keep track of them all.

The companies do it because it makes money, and alot of it usually. I'm suprised EA pulled those numbers, they have some titles that sell friggin huge.

apparently this fixes the missing textures issue (haven't tried it as I will probably only play the single player campaign, so I'll wait for the polish). Taken from another forum:

Spoiler

I hate to say it, but people are kidding themselves if they don't think that these sorts of things are damaging in the least. There's been less and less interest in developing titles with high production values, especially on the platform that's the easiest to pirate software with. People bitch about games being consolized, but really that's where the focus is because that's the only area that garners a decent return on their investment. PC is an afterthought, and is delayed in some cases because piracy is a problem.

What's more worrying is mentioned right in that article. Iphone games, and social games seem to be a hit for two reasons. Development costs are dirt cheap in comparison to many other things, and secondly people actually pay for these games because the platform is relatively well locked down. If those are the types of games that are going to make a profit, that's exactly what you're going to see more of in the market.

The leak isn't a platform specific issue, could have just as likely been the xbox or ps3 versions released - given the way the CryEngine 3 works you develop for all three platforms using the same set of tools. So no it's not "FUCK THE PC", it's "FUCK THE EA CONTRACTED EMPLOYEE WHO DECIDED TO RELEASE THE BETA VERSION OF THE GAME ONTO THE INTERNET".

I think it's pretty obvious that you need a strong multiplayer component to thwart piracy - and used game sales on consoles, unfortunately for Crytek they've opted to do a "me too" Call of Duty clone with 6v6 which is pretty much destined to failure, another 3 to 6 week wonder that will fizzle out. $60 for a mediocre single player experience isn't going to go very far.

The death of the PC cries have been going on for years and years now, hasn't happened.

There's a huge push towards streaming games through a web browser, no need to install anything but a small java app and you're playing the latest EA blockbuster game, completely autonomous of what operating system or hardware specs you have (within reason). No piracy, no used game sales, no retail disc based distribution, no consoles either - at least not like we have today.

Say goodbye to Best Buy, Gamestop and all the other retail outlets that rely on videogames for revenue, they're going to go away just like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.

ANIHv.png

:ftard:

Game was leaked 49 days early, doesn't mean I posted the news right as it was leaked.

Jesus this game was brutal on my poor PC :(

avg 12-30 fps, lowest setting/res, and that might have been playable but the godforsaken mouse lag was unmerciful.

I love [strike]pirating[/strike] sharing as much as the next guy, but you really have to wait until the release date or the host, er, friendly suppliers of content will move away from our feeding grounds towards the relatively parasite-free consoles.

So the intro scene was pretty intense.

I also need to disable the stupid dev info shit at the top right.

Then the game intro movie froze or some shit while he was getting shot by the APC.

Pretty cool so far though.

I'll probably get this game when it's on a steam Christmas sale for 10 dollars in 2 years. So it doesn't really matter if it gets leaked or not to me.

If it hurts EA, Activision etc. then it's a good thing. Shit is turning into the movie industry and that is very bad for the consumer.

Back