Crashing issue [L2, H:S, GE:S] [Athlon 64 3000+, GeForce 6800, RS480M2-IL]

Uritel

Veteran X
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/53175/

I recently built a new computer based around the RS480M2-IL motherboard (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb) and a 500w power supply. The processor is AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html) which stands at around 1.8GHz. The memory in it I don't recall exactly what it is, but it's 1gig of Corsair DDR (two sticks, 512 each).. or something close to that. The video card I popped in it is an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (standard model, not GT, not Ultra.. etc). The difference though is that it was ripped from a Dell computer.. the XPS I think? The computer that I'm currently using is NOT a Dell, which may contribute towards the reason why I'm posting this.

I play Lineage 2 and two Half-Life 2 mods, Hidden:Source and GoldenEye:Source. Regardless if I go with high detail, or low detail, ranging from a few minutes of playing up to an hour of playing, my computer will lock up, crash, and reboot. It does not do this with Counter-Strike:Source or various other games that I play (at least not yet). Unfortunately I am unsure as to the reasons behind it. I have three ideas though, and we'll see if anyone has any suggestions beyond. Oh, furthermore.. all my drivers for the video card, motherboard, and DirectX are up to date.

1) It's the video card. Because it was based around a Dell computer, dell managed to interwork their own little network into the card and is trying to screw me out of not having everything else Dell.
2) It's the processor. The processor itself runs at around 1.8GHz, which meets the required processing speed posted by HL2, but not so much the recommended. The games may be more stressful than CS:S, which is why they are crashing and CS:S is not.
3) Overheating in general. I went ahead and bought an extra pci slot fan for my video card after it started crashin a few times.. thought it helped, but apparently I'm still having those problems.

If anyone can possibly confirm these assumptions, or come up with other ideas.. or just want more information to come up with a solution, please post.

Well its not a dell thing. I had a 4200 gf4 from a dell comp run fine in other pcs. Im not sure if the normal 6800 requires a 4 pin molex in the back or not but look. If not its possible the ram make sure it dont do this in any other game. and The processor(not sure why you would choose that one but ok) doesnt seem to be the problem.

do this first:

A) check and see if video card needs 4 pin molex
B) test ram sticks in other pc(s)
C) make sure no bare wires are touching anything else rap that shit in some tape
D) rma the video card. But test it in another comp first pray you got a warrenty, its dell so you should be ok.

1) Can't be because it's dell, but it can be overheating or just broken in some way. See if it works in another rig.

2) It's called a 3000+ because even though it only runs at 1.8 GHz, it offers approximately the same performance as an Intel 3.0 GHz (at least I think that's why it's called that). In any event, I have a 3000+ too and can run HL2 flawlessly.

3) Most likely. PCI fans don't do jack, don't bother with them. Open up the case, put a table fan next to it blowing in, and see if the problem occurs again. If not, you need better cooling.

It could also be faulty RAM (most likely considering the symptoms), so test both sticks individually.

Brad998 said:
Well its not a dell thing. I had a 4200 gf4 from a dell comp run fine in other pcs. Im not sure if the normal 6800 requires a 4 pin molex in the back or not but look. If not its possible the ram make sure it dont do this in any other game. and The processor(not sure why you would choose that one but ok) doesnt seem to be the problem.

do this first:

A) check and see if video card needs 4 pin molex
B) test ram sticks in other pc(s)
C) make sure no bare wires are touching anything else rap that shit in some tape
D) rma the video card. But test it in another comp first pray you got a warrenty, its dell so you should be ok.

4 pin molex? You talking about a power cord? I don't think it does, the GT and ultra does.. but I'll test it later after I get home to make sure. Unfortunately on the ram part I'm unable to test it in my other computer because it's a piece of crap dell that's already capped out. :/ I may plug them into my roommate's, though, we'll see. Bare wires I'll contend with, couple times in the past they have touched a few items. As far as RMA, I'll see what I can do with it, what type of warranty I have..

Amadeus said:
1) Can't be because it's dell, but it can be overheating or just broken in some way. See if it works in another rig.

2) It's called a 3000+ because even though it only runs at 1.8 GHz, it offers approximately the same performance as an Intel 3.0 GHz (at least I think that's why it's called that). In any event, I have a 3000+ too and can run HL2 flawlessly.

3) Most likely. PCI fans don't do jack, don't bother with them. Open up the case, put a table fan next to it blowing in, and see if the problem occurs again. If not, you need better cooling.

It could also be faulty RAM (most likely considering the symptoms), so test both sticks individually.

What type of cooling do you recommend? I know jack about computers in general, so what type of cooling for what I know very little about. I'll put a table fan next to my computer in the meantime and see if that works, but beyond that, I dunno what to do. And is there a good means to testing the sticks using a specific program or anything?

Running Prime95 for a few hours usually does the trick. If it can run the Blend test for 3 hours then the RAM is probably okay.

As for cooling, what do you have now? Case fans are very important to move hot air out and cold air in. Good cable managment also helps with the airflow.

Amadeus said:
Running Prime95 for a few hours usually does the trick. If it can run the Blend test for 3 hours then the RAM is probably okay.

As for cooling, what do you have now? Case fans are very important to move hot air out and cold air in. Good cable managment also helps with the airflow.

I'll crack open the case and find out what type of fans I have, hopefully. If not, I'll get one of my more computer-literate friends to check it out.

Thanks so far!

Well I've cracked open the case and this is what I've found so far:

CPU Fan:
Thermaltake Heavy Duty Cooling Fan With Heat Sink
For Athlon 64 CPUs
Fan Speed 2500 ?10% RPM
Bearing Type One Ball bearing
Heatsink Dimension 80x80x39mm
Life Expectation 40,000 Hours

GPU Fan:
PCI Slot Blower Case Fan
43 CFM Air Flow
Says "Gacaxe" on it I think.. but when I googled it, nothing came up.

Then just have another fan on the back of the case.

I haven't ran Prime95 yet.. running Windows Memory Diagnostic right now and haven't gotten any errors yet. When I wake up in the morning (gonna let the diag run overnight) I'll download Prime95 and run it.

Edit: Haha, upon reviewing my own post I realize that the fan I posted for my video card said it was a case fan. Meaning I have the wrong god damn fan? lol

I saw this vga cooler fan that works with 6800.. but not sure if there will be enough room for that and my motherboard. Anyone have any suggestions or previous experience with it?

VGA Cooler: Kingwin KWVC-3 http://www.xpcgear.com/kwvc3.html
Mobo: RS480M2-IL http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb

Last edited:
If you want an aftermarket VGA cooler, get a Zalman VF-700Cu or whichever ArcticCooling NVSilencer fits your card (personally, I'd go with the Zalman for compatibility's sake).

PCI fan cards aren't very effective... chances are it's interfering with the VGA cooling. I'd rather get rid of it and put an intake fan in the front of the comp.

Back