[Cooking] Gyuto selection

CapnPyro

Contributor
Veteran XX
Not sure if any of you are cooking knife nerds here but I'm getting a new place and buying all new knives and cookware.

I want to go with a 210 or 240mm gyuto but am getting hung up on which to buy. Anyone use one here? Was originally looking at takeda but I think it's to tall of a blade. Considering koki kurouchi and masakage

And I'm posting this here because the rest of the internet sucks more than here apparently and I want a giant nerdy japanese knife because I've used one a few times and they're fucking awesome

Are you using it as an AP knife, do you not like full bolster? Do you currently use japanese style knives? Do you maintain your knives personally?

Last edited:
i use a tojiro dp 240. it does what i want. i sharpen it myself.

between that, a paring knife, and a flexible filet knife, i don't really use anything else at work. heavy cleaver for bones maybe.

at home i use a cck small cleaver as my chef's knife.

I tried some Shuns, but they were too small for my hands. I wound up with Wusthof Classic Ikons.

i was just looking at the same style of knife to add 2 kitchen hardware

the thinness of blade is so much better imo

do you prefer the 240 over the 120?

to me there is not much use to a small knife unless it's a paring knife

you can do small things with a big knife and you can also do big things with a big knife. so imo it's good to have the biggest chef's knife you are comfortable using.

i use a tojiro dp 240. it does what i want. i sharpen it myself.

between that, a paring knife, and a flexible filet knife, i don't really use anything else at work. heavy cleaver for bones maybe.

at home i use a cck small cleaver as my chef's knife.

That's my theory, you only really need 3 good knives, and I'll do 90% of everything with my chefs knive.

Right now I'm debating on one of these three, then I'll go cheaper on the paring and filet

Tanaka SG2 Gyutou 240mm - 9.4" | Chubo Knives
The Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives
Japanese Knife Imports

I'm totally a sucker for a knife that looks pretty, makes me want to cook more

i bought a masahiro chef's knife a few years back. haven't made a dishonorable meal with it yet.

img54.jpg

misono ux10 from chefknivestogo. 210mm It's rather light. Other knife is a global i put in the bag.

Last edited:
i would like to buy the very very very best knife that everyone on food network and bravo says is the very very very best but i also want it at a deep deep deep discount and then i will sit in a fancy comfy chair and post about my fancy new knife as i admire it while it sits in an expensive block of wood wood wood

Put in the bag? Cook?

I keep the misono at home. I bring the global to cookouts and whatnot. Globals are easy to replace. I dont like other people using my knives. It's funny but the misono has gone up a bit since I got it back around '10.

i use a wushtof french knife b/c i am cool not like u thx

also i have a sharpening steel and honing steel both

also u need a serrated knife

also u need a good board alot of u ppl r fuckin noob with ur boards

ever since I got around to sharpening my knives my wusthof grand prix 8 inch chef is my go-to knife. the grand prix II is similar, but with a different handle.

for sharpening I'm using one of these:
Amazon.com: Japanese Combination Knife Sharpening Stone K-80: Whetstones: Home & Kitchen

and a 6000 grit stone.

I like my shun nakiri
Amazon.com: Shun Classic Hollow-Ground Nakiri Knife: Asian Knives: Home & Kitchen
but it's just not as versitle as the classic french chef blade. it's slightly better at a few things, but generally not good enough to make me use it unless I need a clean knife and I don't feel like cleaning the wusthof.

you don't need a serrated knife if your knives are sharp. or unless you're cutting bread I guess.

if I was buying new knives now I'd be tempted to go with globals all the way. I have a GS-3 and I like it a lot. I like the globals.

Back