computer problem (pics)

-prAna-

Veteran X
for about 4 months i have had a very strange problem with my computer. whenever i would use microsoft word my computer would freeze. the times that they would occur would be different and there seemed to be no pattern. in would be a total freeze and i would have to turn the power off to restart. it could happen anywhere between one minute to once every hour. it is very frustrating to say the least. i checked the temp of the cpu after freezing and there would be no high temps. i formated and got a new video card with no success. recently i have been playing freelancer and then it started freezing while playing that to. Then i had a revelation: both are microsoft products. so hopefully with this new development it can shed some light on the problem and it can be fix asap.
system
512ddr ram
1.566 gighrtz athlon xp
xp professional
GeForce 4 ti4600
a 60 gig hd 7200rpm
a 80 gig hd 7200rpm
office xp
since i am asking for help here are the pictures
swims2000.jpg

sportsswim991.jpg

veronica04.jpg

tat134.jpg

LostDuck said:
Details on your motherboard (for the tech-heads...cuz they will ask)
unsure i will look around....it is a abit
edit: i think it is either a KA7-100 or a KA7

[MoM] Gort said:
What wattage on your power supply?
unsure i looked at the power suply and under "dc output" it had 315W as the max. the switch at the back of the ps is set at 115.

Last edited:
Based on your response, I'll provide you with two options:

1. Make sure your BIOS is up to date and apply the latest Via 4-in-1 (if your mobo has a Via chipset, natch).

2. Up your PS to 400W. DDR + Athlon XP + GF4 + two 7200 spin drives can really tax your PS.

[MoM] Gort said:

1. Make sure your BIOS is up to date and apply the latest Via 4-in-1 (if your mobo has a Via chipset, natch).

2. Up your PS to 400W. DDR + Athlon XP + GF4 + two 7200 spin drives can really tax your PS.
what do you think about the fact that it only freezes when running word or freelancer? do they use alot of power?

Probably coincendence.

I have people report to me all the time, "It only freezes when I.<blank>.." only to find it freezes randomly. They just tend to <blank> more frequently. ;)

Did you try doing a control alt delete? Does the mouse stop moving or just the app does not respond? Can you click start? Does the numlock light still respond if you tap it?

If you can bring up the task manager can you shut down apps/processes till it starts responding again?

I ask this cause I get calls all day long from people saying their machines lock and that they have to reset them. I then find out its only a app locking and windows or the hardware doing this.

[MoM] Gort said:
Probably coincendence.

I have people report to me all the time, "It only freezes when I.<blank>.." only to find it freezes randomly. They just tend to <blank> more frequently. ;)

Agreed.

Doc Holliday said:
Did you try doing a control alt delete? Does the mouse stop moving or just the app does not respond? Can you click start? Does the numlock light still respond if you tap it?

If you can bring up the task manager can you shut down apps/processes till it starts responding again?

I ask this cause I get calls all day long from people saying their machines lock and that they have to reset them. I then find out its only a app locking and windows or the hardware doing this.
yeah it is a total freeze the sound repeats like the same thing kinda like a skip cant control alt delete the mouse does not move unknown on the num lock will check next time.

do you use anti virus software? are you sure your PC is clean of viruses and spyware? my kids computers always start locking up when they get them infected with viruses or spyware.

i would also definetely upgrade that PS to 400 min. compusa has some decent 500-600 watt ps with the dual fans. (don't buy the cheap ps's)

ThrillKillKulT said:
do you use anti virus software? are you sure your PC is clean of viruses and spyware? my kids computers always start locking up when they get them infected with viruses or spyware.

i would also definetely upgrade that PS to 400 min. compusa has some decent 500-600 watt ps with the dual fans. (don't buy the cheap ps's)
yeah also formated and scan bi weekly with frequent updates...do you have a link to a better ps?

-prAna- said:
thank you, also i am looking for a vet to adopt me....
sorry, can't help you there, i have enough problems. i am waiting for them to demote me to member someday because i like windows millenium.

-prAna- said:
yeah also formated and scan bi weekly with frequent updates...do you have a link to a better ps?

i am lazy, so i always buy the best PS that compusa offers (usually the high end Antec's in the pretty boxes). I have heard that enermax's are pretty good if you do online shopping, i am sure good advice will appear soon as far as that goes.

ThrillKillKulT said:

400W is maybe a bit overkill for that system

aScotiA said:
400W is maybe a bit overkill for that system

Actually no, it's not. And it may in fact be the cause of instability in his computer. I would definitely suggest a namebrand PSU, such as Enermax. 400W minimum. Also check to see that the processor is not overheating, before it freezes. Play a game for an hour and then check, and try to do it with a program from Windows, not in the BIOS, because the processor will cool down very quickly.

Ixiterra said:
Actually no, it's not. And it may in fact be the cause of instability in his computer. I would definitely suggest a namebrand PSU, such as Enermax. 400W minimum. Also check to see that the processor is not overheating, before it freezes. Play a game for an hour and then check, and try to do it with a program from Windows, not in the BIOS, because the processor will cool down very quickly.

Actually no. the larger powersupply is just a way of saying "my computer penis is bigger".

You can support a brand new system on a 280w powersupply. Major retailers do this, and their computers are stable.

[MoM] Gort said:

I run a 2100+ XP, 7200 RPM WD 120 GB, 5400 RPM Maxtor 27 GB, GF4 Ti4200, and 512 MB of Corsair XMS PC2700 on here with a 250 Watt PS. I'm doubting that's his problem.

Edit: I'll adopt you.

Last edited:
Back