Comcast Cable internet > Frontier DSL

Thumper

Veteran X
DSL

Comcast

:bigthumb:

Same price for first 6 months then it goes up $30 but ill hopefully figure out a way to get out of that. I know its not as fast as a lot of yours but its a hell of a lot faster that what I had!!

And I cant get my fucking Router to work with it either....

Its a netgear Wireless N WNR1000

Anyone know the default IP for a Motorola SB5101 modem? 192.168.1.1 does't work.

Thanks

DSL
:bigthumb:

Same price for first 6 months then it goes up $30 but ill hopefully figure out a way to get out of that. I know its not as fast as a lot of yours but its a hell of a lot faster that what I had!!

And I cant get my fucking Router to work with it either....

Its a netgear Wireless N WNR1000

Anyone know the default IP for a Motorola SB5101 modem? 192.168.1.1 does't work.

Thanks

Connect your router up correctly, and open up a cmd window. Type ipconfig. Your Default Gateway is your router's address.

I know the routers address. it was hooked up correctly. With just the modem hooked up I have a 68. ip address, with the router its a 192. address.

I want to get inside the modem and see if I need to change anything to get it to work with a router. I had to do this with my DSL modem. Create a bridge or something like that

Just switched to comcast after having verizon/dtv for almost 3 years, more than cut my bill in half, and best part is the rep that was coming around selling gave me their Tier 3 digital package (HD+stars/HBO), BLAST internet (20 megabits) and their phone all for a total of 79.99$ the first year, and it goes up to 115$ the second year, which STILL saves me a lot of money. I'm not a fan of Comcast after shit they pulled when I had them in the past but on the bright side their tech support isn't outsourced, like Verizon.

Well, don't most dsl lines have interleaving enabled?

that pretty much makes it inferior for all gaming

Oh, bloops. I thought you meant the router. I could hook mine up and find out, but I have to go to skewl.

no clue |V| :shrug:

The modem works great, no clue how to get it to work with the router.

i was going to go the easy way and use the netgear install disc but its asking me for DNS stuff and I dont have a clue where to get that...

Oh well

Well, don't most dsl lines have interleaving enabled?

that pretty much makes it inferior for all gaming

No, at least for ATT DSL.

Most Uverse vdsl lines do have interleave enabled, but the hit is pretty small... less than on traditional adsl.

After messing with the router it seems to be working.

Bad thing is I read all over the web how this router drops constantly with comcast....

I just bought the damn thing about 4 months ago, so far the only fix is to buy a different brand router.

fuckers

Edit: This is through my router....

WTF? :shrug:

Last edited:
Just switched to comcast after having verizon/dtv for almost 3 years, more than cut my bill in half, and best part is the rep that was coming around selling gave me their Tier 3 digital package (HD+stars/HBO), BLAST internet (20 megabits) and their phone all for a total of 79.99$ the first year, and it goes up to 115$ the second year, which STILL saves me a lot of money. I'm not a fan of Comcast after shit they pulled when I had them in the past but on the bright side their tech support isn't outsourced, like Verizon.

Shit I pay 150/month after taxes for COX digital w/HBO and NFL :(

Think I have the 8meg service:

Most modems are 192.168.100.1, but they don't really offer much in settings other than restarting it. No idea why your bandwidth would be cut in half for using the router.

A lot of cable modems deliver a real ip address to whatever is connected to them (like a bridge). They only have a local ip during startup, before they have been assigned a real ip.

If you disconnect the coax you can usually get into the interface, but there isn't much to see there.

Shit I pay 150/month after taxes for COX digital w/HBO and NFL :(

Think I have the 8meg service:

I was having trouble with my Verizon internet the week the comcast guy came around, I was getting .18 megs and after dealing with their tech support for 3 days telling them something was fucking wrong and having them tell me it was my shit that was fucked up I got irritated. Later in the week I started getting calls about how I was a "valued" customer and that they found a problem in my area and it had to do with one of their central servers or some bullshit. I'm pretty happy with Comcast at the moment (Pittsburgh area anyway)

Back