[College Graduates] After college...

zodie

Veteran XX
1. What was the first thing you did after college (traveled to celebrate, started work right away etc.)?

2. What were you doing the first few years after college?

3. If you could go back and change what you did after college, would you?

:heart: TW alumni
I just joined your ranks yesterday.

Well, I haven't graduated but will in December and will be able to answer all of those:

1. Going into the Army.
2. Army
3. Probably. I enjoy school and would eventually like to get at least my masters.

1. I went on vacation to Florida.

2. I work for the state univ which I was formerly a student

3. This was something actually pre-graduation I messed up on: Did not plan well enough for post-graduation employment. I hate my current job and settled on it prior to graduation because I knew 1) I could easily get it and 2) I thought things were going to be different than they actually turned out to be. Should have worked harder on acquiring a better job and/or going to grad school.

I will either

1) Travel the world for approx 1-2 years on a low-budget quest for experience, attempting to teach & learn about worldwide theater culture
2) Go to Philly and start a theater company with a 5 year plan
3) Stay in NY and audition / Fly out to LA for pilot season and audition

But probably if anything it will end up happening in that order.

(I go to school for acting obv)

Oh PS Edit: never have regrets!!

1. I got a job right away. Graduated on the 21st of April... started work on the 23rd of April.

2. Working

3. I'd have taken a little bit of time after school.

1. What was the first thing you did after college (traveled to celebrate, started work right away etc.)?

Congrats on graduating. :birthday:

I took a semester off, but it was a forced vacation because I didn't get my grad school application in on time. I worked during that time period, and then I began attending grad school in the Spring semester of 07. I'm still in graduate school so I can't really say whether or not I would change anything, but I love what I'm doing (school plus working as a teaching assistant for the department).

Zodie is a hot name for a girl.

PS: I never went to college. UNIVERSITY FTW :p~~~~~

PPS: Got a bit boozed last time. We're getting a free cocktail party next time :sunny:

Edit: OH... and I plan to work 60 hour weeks.

Last edited:
i'm going to travel.

i'm thinking that my parents will be so happy that i finally made it out of school that they'll bankroll me for a while....i plan to be gone for at least 4 -5months. then we'll see what happens

So what will the next rank of degree be? With everyone now saying Bachelor's aren't enough and you should go for your Master's what will happen in several years? Associate's get bumped off the map, Bachelor's get bumped to GED level and Bachelor's becomes the high school grad equivalent and then everyone just goes for Master's to fuck around and then the REAL job is for Doctorate.

What then after that? Will they make up a new level of degree?

1. I took a year off; went to Europe w/ my fiancee for a while, did research with a former professor, went to Antarctica for a couple months doing other research, enjoyed myself.

2. I'll be starting a PhD program in August of this year, so that will take ~5 yrs.

3. I wouldn't change anything. I've had a really excellent year off.

I spent my last semester living in Switzerland and traveling Europe so I didn't/couldn't afford to travel to celebrate. My last semester was my fuckign celebration and a hell of a way to end college.

I am applying for jobs now.

Join the real world kid. We are waiting for your SOUL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Welcome to the life of middle america. You will get a wife, a house, a dog, and kids. You will work 40 hours a week and you will always be looking forward to the next weekend. Every day you will wake up and do the exact same thing. Your life will become one constant stream of work for your boss. You will wither away, toiling in some chair working for someone else for the rest of your life.

Enjoy!

Right before graduation I closed on a house. Spent the two weeks after graduation pulling 14-16 hour days trying to get the remodeling done before I started work(didn't happen but it was close). Spent one week in the office and got put on a project 2 hours away from the office. So rather than finish up stuff at the house during the week and get it to a state that it looks like some one lives there I now live out of a hotel and get to visit my house on the weekends.

I would have taken another 2 weeks off but with mortgage payment looming it probably would have been bad to put off work for two more weeks.

All in all it has worked out and I'll be done with the project in another month and get to be at my house to enjoy it for at least a month before getting sent on another project.

1. Went home and slowly unpacked for two weeks. I have been reading, lifting, and doing lots of nothing the past month.

2. Training for my job starts in July for 5 weeks then its two years of hell, rarely seeing the light of day. The life of a junior banker sucks.

3. Probably not blow as much money in the stock market. At least I learned that I am a shitty trader and won't make the same mistake again.

too soon to post i know but...

1. got a job over spring break, starting july 21st

2. probably work

3. dunno yet....

I worked towards my profession for 2 of my 4 years of college and after I immediately took a job in a similar field to my degrees (took PR job, majored in print journalism). I took it because it paid well and I was lazy and I immediately regretted it. Lasted 6 months and now I've been working as a freelance writer while looking for a new job.

I wish I would have taken a few months to relax and do a bit of traveling all while looking for a job I really want rather than something I settled for.

Back