Clicking noise inside my PC?

MistaKe

Veteran X
70-75% of the time, when my computer is on, there is a constant clicking noise.

Not sure what's causing it, or where it's even coming from, to be honest. I've opened my computer up a handful of times now and have had a look around. It sounds like a wire or something hitting a fan but I know for a fact that's not it. I've come to think it's my harddrive, not quite sure. I've never heard this sound before and I've never dealt with a problem like this.

Anyone ever hear of a similar sound or problem? What could it be? I'm assuming if it's my harddrive, the only way to fix it is going to be purchasing a new HD.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's definitely my harddrive, 99.7% sure.

Well, that changes everything a bit. What harddrive would you guys recommend? Anything by Western Digital or Seagate I assume?

i heard some bad things about seagate when talking to a local computer shop. they dont carry seagate anymore.

As the person wrote before go with what you need and what you can afford, WD is a very good product as for seagate they too are good as well i have it as my main HD in my
Allienware PC so it goes with what you are comfortable with.

When you produce millions of hard drives, you are bound to get a few lemons.
People are quiet....illogical when it comes to computer parts. Some people get 1 failure and say they don't like this brand anymore.
Some places do Desktop support, and all they deal with is broken parts. They get jaded because they support, say dell. Of course all they will see is bad broken stuff. Computers break, parts fail.
Check Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for some good hd deals.

Alright so I got my new HD in today after a bit of a delay on the ordering process. I remove the old one, get the new one plugged in and boot it up. Surprise - the clicking is still there, turns out it's not my harddrive. I now have it narrowed down to my power supply I believe. My question is, how common is it for power supplies to "click" or make a noise at all.

i used to get a clicking sound in my computer, thought it was a wire hitting a fan or something, but all the fans were clear. i unplugged the HD and the clicking persisted. found out it was a failing northbridge fan :shrug:

If it's the power supply then most likely it's one of the fans in it.

That's what I'm thinking for sure.

But this northbridge fan business, one of my other buddies mentioned that as well. Guess I'll do a little guess and check when I plug this new power supply in tomorrow.

-edit1-
I'm also assuming that the northbridge fan isn't replaceable unless I grab a new motherboard?

-edit2-
A little more information on this mysterious clicking, not sure if it will help in deciding whether it's the power supply or the northbridge fan: the clicking noise is only there around 75% of the time. It comes and goes, mainly comes, but it's not constant but always annoying.

Last edited:
turn your computer on, and stop the northbridge fan with your finger, or jab something into it (it's not going fast enough to hurt). the noise stops, you found your problem. in the case of my motherboard, i just found some VGA fan (small video card fan, 40mm or something, check before you buy), and put it on in place of the old northbridge. the screw holes didn't line up exactly, so i just superglued the fucker in and added some arctic silver, and it's been running fine for about two years now.

At least in Finland Seagate offers 5 year warranty. No problems whatsoever anyways with them.. I trust Samsung highly too, no problem with their products.

That's what I'm thinking for sure.

But this northbridge fan business, one of my other buddies mentioned that as well. Guess I'll do a little guess and check when I plug this new power supply in tomorrow.

-edit1-
I'm also assuming that the northbridge fan isn't replaceable unless I grab a new motherboard?

-edit2-
A little more information on this mysterious clicking, not sure if it will help in deciding whether it's the power supply or the northbridge fan: the clicking noise is only there around 75% of the time. It comes and goes, mainly comes, but it's not constant but always annoying.

You can replace the North bridge fan easily, Newegg sells replacments. Sounds like if it is a fan, it's speed controlled and when it runs at a certain speed it starts clicking.

Back