cell plan or google voice

narmF

Veteran X
i have a company phone (im allowed to use as a personal phone) that has unlimited everything and then a personal phone i don't use much anymore as i hate carrying around two phones and so tell people to just fb message me or now just give them the company phone number. i still want to maintain the number but don't want to pay $50/mo for service i hardly use. what are some good options?

im thinking either a plan that works on at&t that's text/talk but don't know if there are any pay as you go that i can port my number to.

or can i port it to google voice or some other voip and have it ring directly to my company phone.

what would tw do

many thank yous

bONcX6S.gif

IWhNaGQ.gif

IQclKh7.gif

'
a6QNrEC.gif

z7OAsDh.gif

iVxbWEl.gif

I use PTel Mobile and pay $10 every 60 days. It's $0.05/min for voice, $0.02/text, $0.10/MB data. Only data app I use is Waze. I rarely burn through the $10 before having to "top up" when the 60 days comes around.

It's $20 I think to port your number to Google Voice. Would be the better option if you don't want to keep a second phone, but I don't know how hard it is to port the number off Google Voice if you want to do so in the future.

I have this same situation, and ported my personal number to Google Voice. It works pretty well, with the only irritation being that text messages sent to my personal number show up from a Google Voice number (not the original sender's number) with a tag that identifies the message as being from a contact on my phone. I figure I will just slowly transition people over to use my work number instead so that they are using the "direct" number.

One side benefit is that I still write my personal number down on every form that requires a phone number, and it's much easier to screen calls with Google Voice than with a normal setup. This way when some spammer leaves a message I can just see a written transcript of it and never even bother to listen to them.

Much better than carrying two phones IMO.

Im taking my at+t galaxy s4 to Ting in august when my contract is up. I ordered the sim card already, got to get att to unlock the phone before i go.

They say ill pay about 17 a month, i currently pay 60 to 70 a month with at+t

Yeah, I'd just port it to Google Voice for $20 and forward it if you don't want to keep the phone.

If you want to keep the phone:

My "unlimited" plan from AT&T was costing me $110/m for one phone. I don't use my phone enough, so I ported my number to GV and then got the pre-paid T-Mobile $30/m 100min/unlimited text/5GB plan (available online or at Walmart). I installed Google Hangouts Dialer on my phone and now I just do VOIP calling. My 100 T-Mobile minutes are never used. I don't see a point paying carriers when Wi-Fi is available almost everywhere now. The only time I'm making calls through the T-Mobile plan is when I'm in my car or not near Wi-Fi. I'm sure some people on this forum probably have found even more frugal ways to have a cheap plan, but this one works great for me.

Back