Carshopping - Probably going to get a 2012 Kia Optima - open to other car suggestions

I probably won't buy for another month-ish, but tomorrow will be going to test drive a few different makes/models/trim levels.

In addition to the Kia Optima, what other cars should I look at in a similar price range?

I'm pretty anti 2-door cars. So it would have to be pretty sweet to convince me otherwise. And while I wouldn't mind a truck or SUV, I don't really want the associated gas bill.

I would be willing to go slightly used as an option. The reason why I'm probably not considering a 2011 slightly used Kia Optima is just because the price difference doesn't justify it for me.

Thanks

assuming: 20-25k used & sedan

5078701692_277b0097f4_z.jpg

2652146161_6e6b61570c_o.jpg

6307096748_92f5e1fe83_z.jpg

10398171.jpeg

No, I think you would fare far better in a Honda Odyssey...

2011-honda-odyssey-interior-view.jpg

It's what I'll be getting pretty soon...

and I know how you guys strive to be like me!

assuming: 20-25k used & sedan

10398171.jpeg

Can't drive this because one of my bosses drives one.

I did look into a few used BMW models, but all the ones I was at all interested in were about 30k. And really, at that point I prefer just saving some money and getting a new car that is less luxurious.

I guess I would be more inclined to hear about good used cars for 20k or less, and new cars for 25k or less.

We can wait on a more luxurious care for a few more years when I'm making significantly more than I am right now.

What the fuck. That's low mileage for that old of a car. Why not just keep it and save your money?

Because it's just a matter of time before it starts having real problems that cost money to fix.

Already the gas gauge drops to a quarter tank faster than it really is - keeping me paranoid always about how much gas I really have. Sucks for car trips.

Makes a strange sound when idling after the car has warmed up. Spent $500 and had the car in and out of a shop for 3 weeks. They "fixed" it for a few months. I think they just set the computer to idle the care higher, which also gets rid of the sound.

Headlamps are extremely dim.

Tires are less than 5 months from needing to be replaced.

There is probably a leak somewhere in the radiator or something because the fluid will drain its self over the course of a week, but only sometimes. Other times it will last several months.

Due to several extremely harsh/long winters the protective coating is separating from the roof and quick becoming an eye sore.

The chrome cancellation is coming off from around the windows.

So nothing major. More cosmetic than anything else. Very clean and reliable for its age. But frankly I can afford a new car and would enjoy that very much. I've continually put this off, and now the time is right.

Back