Career Advice (help)

¢ent

Veteran X
I'm a junior in highschool, and college councelors, teachers, my parents etc think that we should start thinking about what we want to do in life. I'd never really thought about it seriously until recently, and after much though i would love to be an animator for movies or tv shows, possibly games etc. I would like to do something similar (as an example) to an animator at pixar animation studios. maybe help create scenes, possibly animate the characters. or even design characters in video games etc. i'm not really sure what i'm talking about but i do know that i am fairly decent with computers, and would really love to do this line of work. I'm ok with photoshop and just started fiddling with maya, and maybe with some classes or books i think that i could pick it up and do a decent job. I'm an art oriented guy, and i think this is a job i could do and be happy with.

Anyway, if you've read this far, i guess my real question is that of advice in how i should go about pursuing this. Anybody who does similar work? I remember someone who worked on Monsters Inc. posted here.. maybe some advice or anything would be great.

nothing is wrong with them if they are good at it

a lot of people are like, "oh, i like to use aim, so i will be a computer science major!"

I knew what I wanted to do when I was a freshman in HS. I had a college picked and everything, and not because I was following in mommy's/daddy's footsteps, since neither went to/finished college. It really should be something kids think about earlier than the end of their junior year of HS.

For you, look into art, graphic art, mechanical drawing (I think) etc. Take a class in something in HS or at the local community college (many allow seniors in HS to take a class at the college level). Then look at colleges which offer the degree you need. Visit, ask lots of questions, apply, and decide. You really should have been visiting colleges this year, not waiting until senior year, since application deadlines are often in December, which doesn't leave you much time to prepare and visit as well.

apollyon said:
nothing is wrong with them if they are good at it

a lot of people are like, "oh, i like to use aim, so i will be a computer science major!"
This is true.

"My mommy and grandma said I was a computer genius and that I would be the next Bill Gates because I installed office on their computers!"

Also, there must have some anime convention where all the anime fanatics decided they were all going to major in computer science as well. These are the worst... they frequently forget to bathe.

And the warez kiddies. "I downloaded quake 3 for free, I'm a l33t h4x0r"

At my school they all switch to IT and MIS by the end of the second quarter of their freshman year.

Tatiyana said:
I knew what I wanted to do when I was a freshman in HS. I had a college picked and everything, and not because I was following in mommy's/daddy's footsteps, since neither went to/finished college. It really should be something kids think about earlier than the end of their junior year of HS.

For you, look into art, graphic art, mechanical drawing (I think) etc. Take a class in something in HS or at the local community college (many allow seniors in HS to take a class at the college level). Then look at colleges which offer the degree you need. Visit, ask lots of questions, apply, and decide. You really should have been visiting colleges this year, not waiting until senior year, since application deadlines are often in December, which doesn't leave you much time to prepare and visit as well.
I visited colleges, applied to them, and applied early decision to the school I most wanted to go to all in the fall of my senior year. It worked fine for me, but it was a pain in the ass, he should definitley start ASAP and visit schools this summer.

Tribal Imperialist said:
I visited colleges, applied to them, and applied early decision to the school I most wanted to go to all in the fall of my senior year. It worked fine for me, but it was a pain in the ass, he should definitley start ASAP and visit schools this summer.
Many people go this route I know. It really should start earlier. I had a hard time getting my applications done and in even though I knew where I wanted to go and had back up schools planned by 10th grade. I guess it depends on how busy you are with extra curriculars and school work, but still, kids really need to start thinking about it at least at the START of their junior year, not the end...

Back