[Car Halp] Water Pump replacement

Lukeris

Veteran X
Any idea how much it would cost to get my water pump and related hoses replaced? The car is a 92 Bonneville, and Autozone tells me the part is only $40 something. I don't really have the car knowledge or tools to replace it myself.

Get a chilton's guide for your car. It shows everything step by step on how to replace most of the parts in your car. You need to know how to use a wrench and to keep track of the nuts and bolts...

I called them, they said they can't give me a quote without bringing it in to the shop. Which would involved getting it towed there.

I've got a manual, but I'd need to put the car up on blocks and do all kinds of shit which I don't really have the time to do.

either call the place and get a quote, or buy a manual and do it yourself. on a car that old it's bound to be fairly easy. I've replaced a handful of water pumps, and it's usually take the belt off, take out a few bolts, clean off the old gasket, put gasket sealer on the gasket, put the new pump on, put the bolts on, put the belts back on. done.

hour job maybe.

I called them, they said they can't give me a quote without bringing it in to the shop. Which would involved getting it towed there.

I've got a manual, but I'd need to put the car up on blocks and do all kinds of shit which I don't really have the time to do.

No experience with your car (and whether it's got a timing chain or belt) but we usually do the timing belt/water pump together to the tune of 5-6 hours labor, depending on the car. Our labor rate is just over $80.

The last time I had to replace a water pump, this is how it went:

1. take all the belts off of the accessory devices (alternator, steering pump, etc)
2. unbolt a couple things that were blocking it, unhook them if necessary, and put them out of the way.
3. take the water hoses off of the pump
4. unbolt/unscrew more crap that's in the way
5. unbolt the water pump. This is really hard cuz it's way down in the bowels of the engine
6. pull it out, cut my hand on some damn sharp thing on the engine
7. insert new water pump
8. attach water hoses
9. put all the other crap back in there

See, it's not that hard.

From Tony Geez on 15 June 2002:

I have a 92 Bonneville. Replacing the waterpump is almost unbelieveable. The
rightside engine mount has to be removed. What is the best way to go about this?

fuck that. get it towed to a place and eat the cost. or buy a new car.

Um you don't need to put the car on blocks to replace a water pump.

Unless you own a fucking mini.

I am a computer nerd and I replaced the water pump on my very first car, 92 mercury .. come on.

either call the place and get a quote, or buy a manual and do it yourself. on a car that old it's bound to be fairly easy. I've replaced a handful of water pumps, and it's usually take the belt off, take out a few bolts, clean off the old gasket, put gasket sealer on the gasket, put the new pump on, put the bolts on, put the belts back on. done.

hour job maybe.

depends on the car. with my civic you have to take off a motor mount, its a huge bitch.

The last time I had to replace a water pump, this is how it went:

1. take all the belts off of the accessory devices (alternator, steering pump, etc)
2. unbolt a couple things that were blocking it, unhook them if necessary, and put them out of the way.
3. take the water hoses off of the pump
4. unbolt/unscrew more crap that's in the way
5. unbolt the water pump. This is really hard cuz it's way down in the bowels of the engine
6. pull it out, cut my hand on some damn sharp thing on the engine
7. insert new water pump
8. attach water hoses
9. put all the other crap back in there

See, it's not that hard.

10. Remember to refill the radiator/engine with water and antifreeze

Um you don't need to put the car on blocks to replace a water pump.

Unless you own a fucking mini.

I am a computer nerd and I replaced the water pump on my very first car, 92 mercury .. come on.

Yeah, because all engines are exactly the same on all cars.

Back