[BZNZ] So Google Drive just came out...

perro

Veteran XV
I'm looking into managing my business using Google Drive/Gmail/etc, but I'm coming up blank in a lot of ways. Anyone have any experience using Google to manage your small business? The main things I'm looking for that I haven't been able to figure out yet:

-Using Gmail contacts as the main means of organization and project management. Essentially I would like to be able to start a project, use Drive to store files in the cloud and sync between devices, Gmail and Google Voice to manage communications, etc. and be able to attach/tag everything to a particular project and tag/attach the project to the contact. it would be awesome if there was a way to click on the client and actually view a list of projects attached to them and click on each project to bring up everything associated with it including communications and files. At the moment there isn't much inherent integration between the different Google tools.

-A streamlined method of quoting and invoicing which is integrated to the above contacts and projects. I can't find an invoicing app or service that actually integrates with Gmail or drive at all really. Ideally it would allow for uploading/updating of an existing database of products and services with prices etc.

-A method of tracking time, ideally with an android app i can use on my phone for start/stop/pause that is integrated into Google Tasks or another easily setup task app/service. For each project it would be ideal to be able to setup/clone a list of tasks, tag them to the project and thus the client, and be able to track time for each task. Obviously robust reporting tools would be nice too, but i'm fine with exporting to excel and doing my own analysis later on.

There are tons of other things I need to really streamline everything, but these are the main things I need at the moment. Anyone know of a good small business forum that isn't populated by imbecile housewives who can't figure out how to start a Facebook page...that seems to be the only kind I can find...?

BeesKnees-259x300.jpg

There isn't an all in one solution.

Just your time tracking request is so broad it's ridiculous. No one place, not even google, has tackled this sort of thing definitively because industries are so very different.

If you can get by with appointment based time tracking, google calendar will work, otherwise you'll have to go with something more specific.

There isn't an all in one solution.

Just your time tracking request is so broad it's ridiculous. No one place, not even google, has tackled this sort of thing definitively because industries are so very different.

If you can get by with appointment based time tracking, google calendar will work, otherwise you'll have to go with something more specific.

it isnt broad. right now there are apps that allow you to setup very basic task lists and track time on your phone with start/stop/pause. making the leap from said app to integrating/syncing with gmail or google tasks seems like a no brainer, but I can't find any that have this integration. what good is time tracking in a closed system where you can't do anything with the data...

look at some of the add-on apps that you can install to your domain.

I assume you using a google apps for business domain and not a stock google user account.

Back