Building a new computer [desk] thread #68423

The_Ham

Veteran XX
So I'm getting a custom build computer desk for my birthday present from a family member who does woodworking. Going to be made of oak. So now I have the job of think up what I want in a desk. So any suggestions TW? If you could have your desk built any way you want what would you do?

Also I have the idea of an exhaust fan in the back of the desk above my tower blowing all the air that comes out of the top fans on my case out the back of the desk. Not that it's really needed but hey, why not? But my concern is how will I power it. Mounting a 120mm case fan would be perfect but I don't really want to run power from my computer out of the case into the desk. So how could I power it with AC power or is there some other better solution than a case fan.

And of course will post pics when it's done.

computer-desk-modern.jpg

try doing that type of case enclosure thing, it would take away the need for a case fan built into the desk

Make sure the back of the desk is wood so it hides all cables, I like having a drawer with file cabinet bars so I can put all my mail in. I would also like a riser for my printer and the space underneath to be hollow to put paper.

Also the bigger the better!

I got a 12' craftsman workbench to use to put things on (computer case(s), papers and crap) and have it sit beside my desk. It's awesome.

mine is a triangle (corner unit), has electric hydraulics (i can stand up and type), with an adjustable keyboard level. I love it.
I worked at Steelcase for summer help during college and built the thing out of scrap metal for $.06/lb :)

Back