Britain changes drinking laws

WarAngel

Veteran X
Ok, I know you all probably don't care, but they are going to let british pubs stay open later starting in November. And half the people are freaking out that the longer opening times will cause in increase in violent crimes.

I was reading an article at bbc.com when I ran across this quote...

"Continental-style drinking requires continental-style people - people who sit quietly chatting away at cafe tables."

He said British drinking involved "standing up, shouting at each other in crowded bars, trying to consume gallons of beer at a time".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4134772.stm

and it cracked me up. I wanted to share it with you, my friends at TW.

I'll go out on a limb and postulate that violent crime will go down because people will be too drunk to... violent crime.

Well..right now pubs are only allowed to stay open until 11 pm....

so the theory is that if you don't have to get out so early, you might not drink so fast.

El Mariachi said:
So that's for pubs, what about clubs and afterhours places? What are the liquor laws.

I am pretty sure it is 11pm for all licensed premises. No drinks sold after 11 pm.

WarAngel said:
I am pretty sure it is 11pm for all licensed premises. No drinks sold after 11 pm.

i dont think this is true in london. i had a friend who spent a semester there and i'm sure they drank way past 11pm

The theory is there wont be punch ups at closing time because People will leave in a staggered manner. PUN INTENDED. :ralf:

I think someone should open a sleeping bar...

you go in, start your drinking for the night, have your fun then at a certain time they lock the doors, sober people can leave, drunks have to stay. for those that have to stay you are shown to a place where you can sleep, there can be the orgy communal room or you can pay a bit extra to get your own private bunk with toidy and sink.

solve lots of problems, no drunks on the roads, husbands/boyfriends calling woman on cell phone, 'honey I drank to much, they are making me stay at the bar' and he gets some on the side. :brows:

:bouncy:

most (not all) pubs close at 11, clubs open up and stay open until the wee hours of the morning. however drinking laws arent the same all over britain. i have been to many pubs in scotland that stay open well past 11pm. the best are lockins, when they close the pub at 11 but allow you to stay inside and continue to drink.

Got Haggis? said:
the best are lockins, when they close the pub at 11 but allow you to stay inside and continue to drink.

right, all the pubs i went to in ireland were like this. The laws stated they had to close at a certain time, so they just closed up at that time and didn't let anyone else in =P the people that were there continued to drink.

Oddly, neither scotland nor ireland are britain.

I think we are all missing the point. That quote is comedy gold.

WarAngel said:
Oddly, neither scotland nor ireland are britain.

I think we are all missing the point. That quote is comedy gold.

oddly, you are wrong. northern ireland and scotland are part of britain.

Got Haggis? said:
oddly, you are wrong. northern ireland and scotland are part of britain.

They are part of the United Kingdom, of which britain is a part, but they have their own laws and government.

ok i was wrong but so were you

great britain is made up of england, wales, and scotland

uk is made up of great britain and northern ireland.

Back