[BOOKS] I need some good SciFi ideas ...

Error|550

Veteran X
I'm looking for some William Gibson-type, "can't-fucking-put-it-down-until-I'm-done" stuff. I like epic space battles (reading "The Last Legion" now), good dialogue, etc.

Thoughts?

Alan D. Foster - Call to arms (3 books: two massive alien alliances in search for suitable races to join in the cause. One of them stumbles upon the shithole called 'Earth' and realizes the fighting potential us smart apes have, way above any other race).

Alan D. Foster - Call to arms (3 books: two massive alien alliances in search for suitable races to join in the cause. One of them stumbles upon the shithole called 'Earth' and realizes the fighting potential us smart apes have, way above any other race).

Ah, yeah, I do love Foster. I'll check this one out. Any other ideas?

Will do; thanks! Are the "Wheel of Time" books more Fantasy or SciFi? There are a metric ton of books in the series, but I've never read any so I don't know if they're any good nor do I know what genre they are.

51uldN%2BI9iL._SS500_.jpg

Will do; thanks! Are the "Wheel of Time" books more Fantasy or SciFi? There are a metric ton of books in the series, but I've never read any so I don't know if they're any good nor do I know what genre they are.

fantasy

they start out with a bang, the author meanders from about book 4 on, never accomplishing a single thing plotwise and now hes got some terminal illness so he pry wont even finish the series

stay away

fantasy

they start out with a bang, the author meanders from about book 4 on, never accomplishing a single thing plotwise and now hes got some terminal illness so he pry wont even finish the series

stay away

Hehe, cool; thanks for saving me from a bad purchase.

:D

um, a song of ice and fire if you like fantasy

otherwise neal stephenson books? snow crash, the diamond age--i like them

have you read Gibson's latest already?

I have you read all Bruce Sterling already?

Cory Doctrow?

I dont supposed you know where I can get an electronic version of this do you?

Oh, right - Error, have you read any David Weber books? They're fun to read, I highly reccomend the Empire from the Ashes (Dahak) series, good times there.

If you can handle epic scifi NON space battles, look at John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata series (A Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances, Hell's Faire, Yellow Eyes, etc). The books have a similar theme as mentioned before - aliens recognize how awesome we are at fighting. The problem in these books? The friendly aliens have been losing their war for 200 years, and Earth (located in the middle of their federation but left alone because the thought of us in space scares the living shit out of the vegetarian pacifist alien species) is about to be invaded. The twist?
Earth does get invaded, and gets its fuck smashed in. This isnt even giving away the plot, btw, which is part of why I love these books.

Ringo also has a quasi fantasy series called Council Wars (There will be Dragons, Emerald Sea, Against the Tide, etc). Takes place 2000 years in the future, and the human race is in population decline amidst nanite technology so advanced as to seem like magic. Elves exist, but are really the descendants of lab created genetic super soldiers. Dragons were genetically engineered by Disney for their theme parks. People can elect to have themselves remade into whatever the hell they want... until a civil war over the projected end of the species causes all power to be tied up, ripping away all the technology and comforts of life and forcing them to rebuild society from the ground up.

Last edited:
fantasy

stay away

Did you read all of them? I mean, I admit that some (4 included) were really slow, but others made up for it imo. Of course, I understand his style wouldn't appeal to everyone, but I really liked it... and I don't like fantasy. :p And he's working on the last book at the moment, and from what i've read on his website, he seems to be doing better health wise.

Error, I'd personally recommend them... It's not perfect, I admit, some books took me 2-4 weeks to read.. others I read in 4 days because I couldn't put them down.

Also, has to be mentioned in a scifi thread: Ender's Game.

Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

neither of these books are heavy reading, but certainly fall into the can't put it down till it's done, type of books.

As a Gibson and Stephenson fan, I will second both Richard K. Morgan and Snow Crash. I'd also add Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" to your to do list.

Morgan's first, "Altered Carbon" was probably his strongest. Fast-paced, futuristic, cyberpunk noir.

Did you read all of them? I mean, I admit that some (4 included) were really slow, but others made up for it imo. Of course, I understand his style wouldn't appeal to everyone, but I really liked it... and I don't like fantasy. :p And he's working on the last book at the moment, and from what i've read on his website, he seems to be doing better health wise.

Error, I'd personally recommend them... It's not perfect, I admit, some books took me 2-4 weeks to read.. others I read in 4 days because I couldn't put them down.

Also, has to be mentioned in a scifi thread: Ender's Game.

I stopped at book 9? Winter something or another

Spoiler

I cant remember the details because they were so uneventful. The books peaked at Dumai's Wells (which I do remember still because it was fucking awesome) but even before that it was really slowing down

Eh thats just my opinion anyway

Also, John Ringo is great but his Aldeneta Aldenata whatever books are not.... "intellectual"? in the least. But if absolute carnage with a side of chanting USA USA USA (only its humans vs everybody but everyone knows that the USA > *... ringo is a homer) is your thing then you will love john ringo

Last edited:
Back