Best laptop company?

MST3K-rules

Contributor
Veteran X
Need to buy a laptop. Don't plan to do much gaming on it (that's what Mr. Xbox is for).
Right now I'm leaning toward a lightweight Dell model with that Pentium M (or as my mom calls it, "Intel Cestrinto") thing in it.

Alienware looks nice as well, but they make it sound like their batteries only last an hour and the laptops all way 10 pounds. Who the fuck wants a laptop that can only be away from the outlet for an hour?

IBM's prices blow ass.

Here's the basics on the Dell I was considering:
Inspiron 600m
Intel Pentium®M,1.7GHz,14.1SXGA+ ATI 64MB Video
768 RAM
Price 2850 (blech)
I don't plan to carry it around with me all day at college, but I'd rather have a 6 pound computer than a 10 pound computer.

well most people here will name some supar 1337 underground laptop company that nobody's ever heard of, but if you want a reliable laptop that is relatively cheap with good warranties and support, etc, you're making the right choice with the dell.

edit: toshiba is also pretty good, but a little more pricey, and sony is okay as well. you'd be happy with any of those 3 companies.

Last edited:
dudehell.jpg

My son-in-law bought my daughter a Sony laptop right before she was shipped to Iraq so she could watch movies and such. She's back now and they've went on vaction with their kids. I relate all of this only because that laptop has been to hell and back, tossed around, etc and it's still doing a great job for her/them and she hasn't had a single problem with it.

I have a Dell right now and it's great. If I were you I'd go with a Sager (powernotebooks.com), a Dell, or a Toshiba.

IBM and Dell .. can't go wrong. IBM is a bit pricey still though. Toshiba used to be kick ass but they've had a lot of problems recently imho with quality.

MST3K-rules said:
Inspiron 600m
Intel Pentium®M,1.4GHz,14.1SXGA+ ATI 64MB Video
256 RAM
30gb Ultra ATA HD
Price 1250 (yay)

Got it yesterday, setup my wireless network last night, come to find out the netgear router I bought was a piece and kept kicking me off the network every half hour. Took it to an internet cafe (friends) to make sure it wasn't my wireless NIC, worked perfectly. Took back the router this afternoon, and with the reccomendation of the Staples employee, got a Belkin for $20 more. Brought it home, installed, works beautifully. Opened up the ports for DCC with 2 clicks and havn't had a hiccup since.

Overall I'm very happy with this notebook. So far the battery estimator has given me 3 hours from a full charge, but when I looked down at 70% it still had me at 3 hours which makes me believe the estimator is slightly off. The thing is super light and thin. As far as heat goes, it gets lukewarm when holding it, but nothing unbearable or anything of the sort. I would definitley reccomend this Laptop to anyone, I'm in love with it right now..can't wait to take it with me on roadtrips etc.

Walking around the house with my laptop and whoring from our recliner is awesome. Also a plus, I didn't bust my budget with this thing, I was looking to spend about $1600 on one, but found a great deal and saved $350 so I scooped it up immediatley.

Yeah, I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, and it's great. Battery life isn't as good as the newer ones, but it wasn't a large problem. I <3 being able to take things out easily :)

FOURSTAR_X said:
Yeah, I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, and it's great. Battery life isn't as good as the newer ones, but it wasn't a large problem. I <3 being able to take things out easily :)
Plus that has a 7500m in it iirc, so you could play tribes or hl on it, or watch it struggle with t2.

Back