Best case fan arrangement

lecatPuke

Scout++
Veteran X
I am getting a new case and a pre-filled CPU water cooler. I am trying to determine the best configuration for fans and the radiator.

The case has 1 back fan and 2 top fans. Assume fans at every grill. The radiator occupies one fan spot.

Code:
    __|      |_|      |___________
O  |
U  | 
T  
S       Top of case interior   
I
D  | 
E  |
   |
   |

I see a lot of recommendations to push cool, external air across the radiator, so this was my first thought.

Code:
Option A
 __|   ^   |_|   ^   |___________
|
|
 [R]
>[A]->
 [D]
|
|
|
|

But I'm still undecided. This would push warm case air over the radiator but exhaust it immediately:

Code:
Option B
|
|
 [R]
<[A]<-
 [D]
|
|
|
|

I could mount the radiator on top since heat rises, but I figured the neighboring fans would negatively affect suction air flow:

Code:
Option C
|   [ RAD ]
|      ^

<-

|
|
|
|

What do you think?

computer-fan-noise.jpg

I have mine set up as "Option B". Seems to work fine. No idea if it's optimal, but I'm way too lazy to try the others out and see.

a couple of my fans sound like harleys JUST when i start up my computer. they run very quiet 99% of the time. they are also relatively new and free of excess dust, so i have no idea why this happens.

a couple of my fans sound like harleys JUST when i start up my computer. they run very quiet 99% of the time. they are also relatively new and free of excess dust, so i have no idea why this happens.

do u have a fan controller? maybe they're booting up at max rpms and only run at 50% or something when it's quiet

You want to blow cool air over the radiator because cooler air will pull more heat away than warm air.

do u have a fan controller? maybe they're booting up at max rpms and only run at 50% or something when it's quiet
there is a little switch with 3 speeds under the front panel (lian-li case)...

it was set on 1 and i thought it was on 3

maybe this is the answer, if so, thx :)

I did water cooling on my most recent rig for the first time (almost three years ago at this point). I only did it because I fucking hate how loud gaming computers are and I wanted something super quiet.

Unfortunately it didn't work and I constantly hear water being pumped around and it's equally fucking annoying. On the plus side though I haven't had any issues with overheating and my apartment gets hot as shit in the summer. I won't be doing it again though.

Have mine set as option C. Rad's too big to go on back of case and I was too lazy to change around the fans. 19C idle and 25C on graphic intensive games is more than good enough.

The only reason I bothered is cause the stock fan was somehow bugging out and letting temps hit 70-80C before.

I would love to help you cat. :wave: But I have zero experience with liquid cooling. Air has always been enough for me.

Giant room fan taped to an open case has the arsin seal of approval, guys.

Tell your friends.

Back