[Badass] Ice Climbing Highlights

maxxla7.jpg

that reel barely makes any sense - are there points for doing weird shit, or is that the climbing style these days...

also about half way through (~1:15) it looks like there's a guy climbing with fishhooks which i think is pretty cool.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone wrap their leg over their forearm as a balance point while re-positioning the pick. That's pretty damn cool.

that's what i was referring to... pretty sure they're doing weird shit for extra style points or something because a lot of it doesn't make much sense (coming from a climber)...

looks like they are using that move more to rest than re balancing, but it serves both purposes.

Not only is the sport sick, but the 'arena' for that event is bad ass. I can't discern wtf they set that up, but it worked out pretty well.

It's called a figure four. It isn't used in rock climbing apart from a few very technical people for really technical passes at high levels. It can be used as a solution when everything else fails.

It's really handy in competition ice climbing. On a real ice rock/fall you'd get all your tools tangled up in your rope. They don't carry tools and their crampons only got hooks at the front so they don't have that problem.

Yeah, it's a figure four. It's used to get up on free hangers when you don't have a foothold. You're basically using that hand hold as a foothold to gain a few extra inches.

Back