Awesome F-35 info

Please, I know the article briefly compared it to the A10, but this example of interchangeable parts across teh "pond" will never touch the awesomeness that is the A10.

Barbarian said:
Let's just hope the X-32 wasn't the better airplane.
I've heard people argue that it was, but I've never seen hard specs for it published. A lot of the F-35's hard specs still are unpublished (to my knowledge.)

It's hard to make an informed comparison at this point.

haniblecter said:
Please, I know the article briefly compared it to the A10, but this example of interchangeable parts across teh "pond" will never touch the awesomeness that is the A10.
Nobody is comparing it to the A-10. It was pointed out that it can potentially have a loiter time similar to the A-10's, which is impressive. Nobody is planning to turn this into an A-10 replacement.

The A-10 is getting an upgrade, by the way. The first pictures of the A-10C pit were published a couple months ago.

Kurayami said:
Nobody is comparing it to the A-10. It was pointed out that it can potentially have a loiter time similar to the A-10's, which is impressive. Nobody is planning to turn this into an A-10 replacement.

The A-10 is getting an upgrade, by the way. The first pictures of the A-10C pit were published a couple months ago.

let's see them :]

A-10C

A10Cpic1.JPG

A10Cpic2.JPG

A10Cpic3.JPG

pic4.JPG

vs. A-10A

pic5.JPG

Even with the new MFDs it isn't too exciting. I don't know what all of the upgrades are. I know it's being outfitted to handle more modern GPS-guided munitions (like JDAMs,) and that it's supposedly getting a radar system (finally,) but that's about it.

Kurayami - are you in the airforce, or plan on joining in the future? You seem to be plane crazy is all. Curious.

I can't help but wonder where all this fly by wire shit will end up - it sounds as though the platform would be pretty fucked if it got compromised by a virus / EMP / some other crazy shit not invented yet.

Beren said:
Looks like Australia is wising up and going back to good old American equipment lately. :p

Then again, I seem to remember Australia being very interested in Britain's upcoming export Challenger 2 upgrade. Tsk tsk.

Beren said:
Kurayami - are you in the airforce, or plan on joining in the future? You seem to be plane crazy is all. Curious.
No. I'm just a big fan of aerospace technology in general.

Geck0 said:
I can't help but wonder where all this fly by wire shit will end up - it sounds as though the platform would be pretty fucked if it got compromised by a virus / EMP / some other crazy shit not invented yet.

Are you fucking kidding me? Fly-by-wire has been around for atleast 20 years and we haven't had a problem yet.

Geck0 said:
Well, even an F-16 is going to be pretty fucked up if it gets hit by an EMP.

I know it's been around for 20yrs. Did you read the article? It said that manual flight was impossible because of information overload. What I'm getting at is that in a situation where the source of all that information goes away, can the platform function?

Will it be flyable at all? If so, how much use is a platform that needs all that fancy targeting info if it's not getting any?

Geck0 said:
I know it's been around for 20yrs. Did you read the article? It said that manual flight was impossible because of information overload. What I'm getting at is that in a situation where the source of all that information goes away, can the platform function?

Will it be flyable at all? If so, how much use is a platform that needs all that fancy targeting info if it's not getting any?

do you know how many fucking safeguards they have? the fly-by-wire system is probably triple-redundant, probably as well as the rest of the plane

Kurayami said:
Looks like Australia is wising up and going back to good old American equipment lately. :p

Then again, I seem to remember Australia being very interested in Britain's upcoming export Challenger 2 upgrade. Tsk tsk.

No. I'm just a big fan of aerospace technology in general.

well it is a case of opting for what appears to be best at the time. But these days it is more a case of being able to slot in with the US in the field easily.

Durak said:
do you know how many fucking safeguards they have? the fly-by-wire system is probably triple-redundant, probably as well as the rest of the plane

Oh stfu Durak, like you'd know what was in the fucking thing or how it worked.

Geck0 said:
Oh stfu Durak, like you'd know what was in the fucking thing or how it worked.

No I don't, but I can assure whatever problems an internet nerd has thought of that could go wrong w/ fly-by-wire, they have also thought of it and more.

Back