Aussie travel advice

JuSTCHiLLiN

Veteran XX
I'm headed to Australia in April to attend a wedding. I'll be in Melbourne for a week and the rest of my time is divided between Sydney (4 days), Brisbane (4 days), and the Whitsundays (4 days).

The week in Melbourne is taken care of mostly but suggestions on good spots to visit are welcome. I'm doing a 2 day sailing trip in the Whitsundays and my hotel in Airlie Beach is booked (and I just plan on drinking at a bar or on the beach for those days) but other than that I am open to ideas and suggestions or what to do.

Do any Tdubbers, Australian or not, have any advice, suggestions, comments, etc?

Skip Brisbane, it's a boring shithole and the club violence is out of control.

On second thoughts, just skip everything bar the last bit. Australian cities are the same as any other city.

imgname--paul_hogans_tax_sham---50226711--crocdundee.jpg

This needs to be in this thread

I live in Sydney and if you have the funds man, I suggest you go for an exhilarating day on either the Center Point Tower (walk the top of it) or Harbour Bridge. It costs more to go at around sunset for the Harbour Bridge (Thats if you dont wanna do a midday session) but it's amazing up there man.

Other than that, there's shopping, shitloads of paintball facilites out in the bush not far, go to darling harbour and check out the aquarium there, go to the imax theatre if you want, pretty much if you want a beautiful and attractive setting, go to Darling Harbour..

The better clubs are situated in the Harbour anyway, plenty of babes too man

I live in Sydney and if you have the funds man, I suggest you go for an exhilarating day on either the Center Point Tower (walk the top of it) or Harbour Bridge. It costs more to go at around sunset for the Harbour Bridge (Thats if you dont wanna do a midday session) but it's amazing up there man.

Other than that, there's shopping, shitloads of paintball facilites out in the bush not far, go to darling harbour and check out the aquarium there, go to the imax theatre if you want, pretty much if you want a beautiful and attractive setting, go to Darling Harbour..

The better clubs are situated in the Harbour anyway, plenty of babes too man

Sydney is definitely a place I'm not sure what to do in so I'll investigate this.

I live in Sydney and travel around the country for work quite a bit. Cut back on Sydney and Brisbane and spend more time around the Witsundays I think.

If your going to spend 4 days in Sydney maybe go to Toronga Zoo. It has some nice views of the city and you can catch the ferry to get there from the CBD. I think Manly Beach is better than Bondi.

April is Autumn (fall) so you should see clear skys without too much heat.

Send me an email or something and I can take you mountain bike riding in Sydney bushland if your into that.

Sydney Webcam (heavy rain for the past week): http://www.sydney-webcam.com/index.php?nav=cam1&subnav=cam1hi
Rain radar: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR032.loop.shtml#skip
Local News: http://www.smh.com.au/
Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...591,151.203804&spn=0.226378,0.368729&t=h&z=12

Last edited:
ditto on Toronga go there for sure. paint balldown at helensburgh south of syd is good too. Although paintball is still paintball no mater what country you are in. Plenty of random things to do in syd as a tourist. Bridge/opera house/powerhouse museum/etc. Just grab pamplets when you arrive and see what inspires day to day while you are there.

In melb try to catch an AFL game. I hate the sport (although not as much as NFL) but tourists seem to get a big kick out of it.

brissy is kinda dull, and whitsundays are obviously very resorty. So despite peoples advice i wouldn't increase time there.

Whitsundays is quite boring, go to Whitehaven at the very least (the beach doesn't absorb heat, you can stand on the sand at midday and not burn your feet)

Spend the rest of your time drinking at the bar in the pool or using the various amenities such as kayack and catermaran as long as you stay at an island resort. If you are staying in Airlie, you will be bored shitless unless you have access to a boat.

Melbourne is St Kilda and the foodie strips.
Sydney is Bondi and Taronga.
Brisbane is actually spending time on the Gold Coast (surfers paradise in particular).

Thats all there really is to it unless you come up Cairns way where there is a shit ton to do (reef, rainforest, etc)

Thats all there really is to it unless you come up Cairns way where there is a shit ton to do (reef, rainforest, etc)

^

(at least compared to whitsundays. Obviously syd and melb are big cities so the comparison isn't that meaningful)

Whitsundays is quite boring, go to Whitehaven at the very least (the beach doesn't absorb heat, you can stand on the sand at midday and not burn your feet)

Spend the rest of your time drinking at the bar in the pool or using the various amenities such as kayack and catermaran as long as you stay at an island resort. If you are staying in Airlie, you will be bored shitless unless you have access to a boat.

Melbourne is St Kilda and the foodie strips.
Sydney is Bondi and Taronga.
Brisbane is actually spending time on the Gold Coast (surfers paradise in particular).

I'm renting a car for the time in Brisbane and wasn't planning on actually being in Brisbane. Sydney I'm on foot/taxi/public transport.

I'm renting a car for the time in Brisbane and wasn't planning on actually being in Brisbane. Sydney I'm on foot/taxi/public transport.

Well, in Brisbane itself there isn't much to do, but having spent enough time there I would do the 4 days as follows.

Day 1: Theme Parks Day - Movie World, Wet & Wild (right next to Movie World) and Sea World. May be more than you can do in a day, but it can be done, start early. At the very least a full day can be had at Wet and Wild if you enjoy water slides and shit.

Day 2: Gold Coast - SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS. Have lunch at the Pink Poodle for a selection of the worlds finest beers.

Day 3: Wine Tour, its best to go on one of the many tours that drive you around, you can get half pissed if you aren't careful. This is one thing I do religiously whenever I am in Brisbane.

Day 4: Wander around Brisbane City, go to South Bank, wander around West End for some foodie shit.

Back