ATTN: WEBSITE DEVELOPERS (I have a job offer for you)

ayzianboy said:
then you shouldn't have any trouble finding people to do it, and wouldn't need to resort to hiring off tribalwar dot com.

i definitely wouldn't do all that shit for $2500.

the other line of thought is that you're getting paid about $10,000 for it and are trying to load it off for 2.5
hehe

Thread 1: Should I get in to IT/webdesign/something that requires a keyboard
Reply: GEEZ noob dot com bubble de took ar jooobbz sandnigger 8 dollars an hour 10 in california!!!

Thread 2: Hey I need a webdesigner/IT/Can you operate a keyboard?
Reply: I do say! I have a degree in advanced calculus mathematical gramatical computation specializing in turning up my nose. I would never, ever, find myself taking on a job such as your own, its simply not worth my time. But, just to help you out, I'll tell you that you would have to pay someone a lot less talented than me all of your money as a retainer to start your project.

I love tw.

Dumpy Dooby said:
Tribalwar is the first place I went to get potential developers. I've gotten quite a few responses (20 or so) from Tribalwarriors alone (a few them flamed me in the thread, then turned around offered to take the job -- and no, that doesn't decrease your chances of getting the job). And as I've said many times before, I've been in this business for years; I'm quite sure I know going rate for a job like this (I know how much I'd do it for, anyway).
:rofl:

Dumpy Dooby said:
You never answered my question (How much would YOU charge for a job like this?). ;)
hourly rate at around $60 to $80 if I was independent. if I was through an agency I'd expect to be paid $40 to $50/hr and they'd bill me out to you at probably $70 to $100/hr.

if someone does it for a flat rate, and does good work consider yourself lucky.

normally just designing an implementing a static website I charge between 700- 2500 depending on the look they want. If they want any database driven app or special functionality your looking at 40-60 an hour depending on what language I have to use.

As far as the timeline it is fesable but very unlikely, especially if it is a side job for someone. I know myself after pounding 8 hours a day on a keyboard coding at work, will only spend about 10 hrs a week doing side work. Best bet is to find a local tech school and offer it to them as a project.

For both design and backend, in 1 month, the pay is far too low for me. Good luck on finding someone though, plenty of intro-level dev/designers will do it for that price, but it may not be up to par.

if it's so easy to complete (because he can do it himself LOL) he should just complete it himself. by the time he finds someone competent enough to take it and stupid enough to take it for the offered money his timeline is blown.

of course I guess he could always find someone who will take it for the offered money...but he'll be left with a POS site that will cost more to fix than the cost of building it when it has to scale or have the feature set expanded.

Dumpy Dooby said:
I have all of the code in one php file (index.php) so far. If I'm stuck completing this project, I'll probably keep everything in index.php, with the exception of admin.php.

This says to me that you have very little real world experience with programming. Or at least with writing anything that anyone else is ever supposed to maintain.

Dumpy Dooby said:
:lol:

The local guys in my area get $20/hr (and that's how much I've always charged). Your rates might be suitable for hp.com, but not for small b&m retailer. Perhaps I'll pay your kind in a couple years when we have 20+ stores opened up (rather, if we do).

But the rate of pay isn't customarily based on hours. It's based on the project. Your job is to assess the project and determine how many hours it would take and then charge accordingly. So you still haven't answered my question. You seem to have a grasp on my site (you've certainly been opinionated enough to give me that impression) and what I'm asking for. Now how much would you charge me for this project?

Something tells me that how long you think it will take, differs from how long I think it will take; and with all due respect, I think I would know better since I've built some of it thus far and I know what it takes to complete it. But nevertheless, I would like to hear your opinion (since you certainly seem to be more of a professional in this area than me -- and no I'm not being sarcastic).

Look, tw webwork is gonna cost you a 3 page thread of insults from 25 different people. 15 of them took a webdev class in highschool, and are now working at home depot complaining about the IT industry when they get a chance, 5 of them have done web work professionally, can show you sample sites, but can't show you this elusive professional super work for non disclosure purposes, the last 5 could probably do your project really well, but their 2 week run through the 'im going to make it on my own as a freelance web developer" has left them with a shitty 12 dollar an hour job involving a forklift.

P.S. all 25 of them will contact you via pm to try and get the job. Also, when they link you to they're sample work, 2 or 3 of them will link you to the same damn website.

If you want it done right, you need better talent. $20 an hour is what a shitty Indian developer will charge. Anyone who does it for that rate is going to give you a broken and ugly piece of crap.

jsut said:
This says to me that you have very little real world experience with programming. Or at least with writing anything that anyone else is ever supposed to maintain.

It's like I stated in that other PHP thread. Anyone who starts programming php without any actual book assistance or professional training writes horrid unmaintainable code. Which is why he's probably used to paying so little for php work. Any highschool kid can program php for $20. If you want a corporate grade website that will be maintainable, secure and scalable then find a professional.

I haven't mentioned it because I didn't think it was worth mentioning but building the site he's thinking of building in anything except a true RDBMS is ludicrous. However I have a feeling he already built the tables in a mySQL db without any relationships, user functions, or stored procedures. So the interface code will need to be much heavier and take longer in order to preserve data integrity. And like I originally stated: building a form in PHP properly takes for friggen EVER.

Dumpy Dooby said:
It's difficult enough finding great quality work online ... I don't know how I would go about doing it locally. Christ, if I run an ad in the newspaper, I'll get a response from every 12yr old and his mom that think that they have awesome Geocities. With all of the devotion and work it would take to weed through them, I think it would probably be in my best interest to do it myself. Consequently, I turned to the internet to limit responses from shitty talent. ;)
See? You already know what the talent pool is. For quality, you have to pay. Someone who is a good developer AND designer is not going to do this for $2,500. If you want to cut corners, it could (likely will) backfire.

Dumpy Dooby said:
How long of a timeline would you need in order for this job to worth your while? (just wondering)
Oh, it can be done in a month, its just not worth the effort for only $2500.

I am telling ya, goto a local tech school like Devry and offer it to them as a project. The students usally turn out good work and doit for free.

When I did mine for a local company a few years back while attending school, I worked my ass off to make sure it was prime work just because it was going on my resume.

He's looking to get this done on the cheap. If someone out there is starving for the work, maybe he can find someone. It's not unlikely that some young coder on TW needs the work. Don't flame him for trying to get a bargain just because several of you are accustomed to a more lucrative environment in which to do business.

LostAngel said:
I haven't mentioned it because I didn't think it was worth mentioning but building the site he's thinking of building in anything except a true RDBMS is ludicrous. However I have a feeling he already built the tables in a mySQL db without any relationships, user functions, or stored procedures. So the interface code will need to be much heavier and take longer in order to preserve data integrity. And like I originally stated: building a form in PHP properly takes for friggen EVER.

Come on LA, you know this site was born to run on an MS Access backend. ;)

You can live without stored procedures (at least maintainability wise) if you don't copy and paste SQL throughout your code. Unfourtunately most PHP programmers seem to have almost no clue about how to modularize code. (that problem isn't at all restricted to PHP dev's though)

mySQL does support foreign keys and fun bullshit like that, but you have to use InnoDB tables, not myISAM tables. (which i'm sure you know)

Back