Atherosclerosis

xgalaxy

Veteran X
Atherosclerosis is a biological response to plaque buildup in arteries correct? Can the plaque be reduced or even reversed naturally by eliminating certain kinds of foods or is it something that once there is always there no matter what?

eliminate some foods and add others. For starters cut out bad fats and start ingesting quality fats. Sounds counterintuitive, but oils high in omega3 and 6 actually help with arterial buildup (or so i've heard, read more on it elsewhere).

Atherosclerosis is a biological response to plaque buildup in arteries correct? Can the plaque be reduced or even reversed naturally by eliminating certain kinds of foods or is it something that once there is always there no matter what?

as far as reversing- not really...
although, google ornish diet if you're interested

I could be wrong but I think angioplasty is where they insert a balloon like contraption into your arteries and blow it up to release the plaque buildup within your arteries, therefore preventing a possible complete blockage leading to heart attack/stroke.

I didn't bother wikipedia'ing it.

On a side note I'm researching a Tgf-beta which is a growth factor that when active seems to inhibit inflammation. I just saw a paper put out just recently in Circulation, a really good cardiology journal talking about how artherosclerosis buildup can also be because of Tgf-beta. In otherwords, due to cell-signaling, and therefore through genetics, atherosclerosis is largely due to genetics as well.

maybe as important, or perhaps even more important than diet... your lifestyle/stress levels/general mood/etc. and there's physiological reasoning behind it too!

Back