army question

Zwitterion

Veteran XV
Can you get a college degree while you're serving time in teh army? I know they pay for it afterwards, but waht about during?

Ranger Bat = a batallion in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

As far as college goes, yeah you can do it. You probably won't be done in 4 years though. Many schools have agreements with the army so you can take their online classes. Many schools will also give you college credit for your training.

Its very difficult to get a degree while in the army.
You're in the field a lot of the time and there aren't many posts near collages.
You're best bet is to go Air-Force for an education. You will have a better chance at a degree.

crimedog said:
Ranger Bat = a batallion in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

As far as college goes, yeah you can do it. You probably won't be done in 4 years though. Many schools have agreements with the army so you can take their online classes. Many schools will also give you college credit for your training.

Oh, thats what I needed to know, thanks.

And whats special about the Ranger Regiment?

my current plan:

Finish my college education now

either

A. Join the army as an officer, fly apaches and do my 20 years, retire, and teach senior government until im 55

B. graduate, teach now and enjoy every summer off, and continue volunteering with EMS

Zwitterion said:
Oh, thats what I needed to know, thanks.

And whats special about the Ranger Regiment?

The 75th Ranger Regiment is THE place to be, actually any place in the 1st SoCom division is good.

Most army posts have an on-post 'campus', but while they are state accredited, you may have never heard of them before. I recieved a degree while in the army from Austin-Peay University...state accredited but they were at the time a little nothing college

Pretty much you'll need a military job where you get posted somewhere for a long period of time. If you go on a ship or submarine or are deployed in iraq you can't exactly go to night school.

I have a friend who is in the marines. He has a desk job and goes to night school after work.

You might want to just work on the basic shit while you are in the army like english 101, history, math ect. And then once your out go to a real college and finish your degree there.

I have heard a lot of talk about how military time gives you college credit. But what you really need is college credit toward your degree what ever that may be.

Has anyone ever gotten college credit from the military that actually was applided to the degree they were pursuing?

Join the guard. If you join the guard, college tuition is free. You'll have less of a commitment (at least until they deploy you to Saudi).

If you are going full time Army, pick an MOS (job) that is less combat oriented. More time out of the field means more time for college.

JuggerNaught said:
The 75th Ranger Regiment is THE place to be, actually any place in the 1st SoCom division is good.

Most army posts have an on-post 'campus', but while they are state accredited, you may have never heard of them before. I recieved a degree while in the army from Austin-Peay University...state accredited but they were at the time a little nothing college

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the rangers and thats all I needed to know. At least now I know that I can get my degree. Do you know any of the requirements (physical and intellictual) for the 75th Ranger Regiment?

Zwitterion said:
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the rangers and thats all I needed to know. At least now I know that I can get my degree. Do you know any of the requirements (physical and intellictual) for the 75th Ranger Regiment?

Their are plenty of other battalions that are great to achieve a degree in for the Army. However unlike what people here say actual combat will give you by far better job opportunity than any other non-combat brigade. Most colleges will honor your years of service as credit towards your degree. Should you really want a degree try for OCS. Graduate from OCS school is almost a masters degree by most college ratings.

Last edited:
Back