Anyone here do phone systems?

Caswell

Veteran XX
We've got a Norstar system at work, and we're changing telephone providers (From Telus to Shaw Cable). Apparently we need a technician, but they also said it only takes about 20 mins.

It's 3 line hunting, all setup and currently working.

Anyone know exactly what they're doing? Can I just do it myself? I've played around with a bunch of the phone setting before...

you're probably going from pots to pots and just need to move 6 wires(3 lines)

usually there is a 66 block from the current provider, with the current lines, and a 66 block for your phone system(or the wires run direct to the phone system). The new provider will usually set up a new(there own) 66 block.

if it's that easy, the installer will usually do it for you, even though they claim he won't.

careful if you start asking if it's voip\pots\pri

it probably technically IS voip, but they usually provide analog hookups.

and by usually I mean the sb voip providers in the dfw area.

I asked them if the new system was VoIP, but they said it wasn't...so I'm not sure exactally how it's running. I'm guessing VoIP with analog hookup though.

This is all they've told me so far:
"The other technician will program the numbers in your system after our technician gets the dial tone."

if you're going from 3 lines, to 3 lines, it's gonna be a breeze, there's no reason to program anything, you physically move the 6 wires and repunch them down.

at worst, slip the installer a 20 and ask him to do it, it takes about 15 seconds.

Norstar is Nortel I believe. IPX is NEC unless northern has something called IPX as well. If its Nortel hahahahahahahahaha good luck with future support.

Avaya purchased the non-carrier telephony portion of Nortel and handles support now. They are phasing out the Nortel product line though.

The "Shaw Cable" part makes me thing they are going from pots to VoIP in which case they will just install their gateway and plug the 3 trunks in to the PBX. Should only take a few minutes.

Norstar is Nortel I believe. IPX is NEC unless northern has something called IPX as well. If its Nortel hahahahahahahahaha good luck with future support.

Avaya is supporting Nortel hardware, but only from certain versions onward.

Third party tech services will probably support hardware older than what Avaya will support.

Avaya purchased the non-carrier telephony portion of Nortel and handles support now. They are phasing out the Nortel product line though.

That won't happen for quite a while. Avaya will support Nortel hardware for several years, and the will most likely use some Nortel tech in future Avaya systems.

They currently have a platform called Aura that is a SIP-based system which you can bolt onto your existing Nortel hardware, and it will allow Avaya and Nortel components to talk to each other.

you're probably going from pots to pots and just need to move 6 wires(3 lines)

usually there is a 66 block from the current provider, with the current lines, and a 66 block for your phone system(or the wires run direct to the phone system). The new provider will usually set up a new(there own) 66 block.

if it's that easy, the installer will usually do it for you, even though they claim he won't.
This is what I originally thought, but...

careful if you start asking if it's voip\pots\pri

it probably technically IS voip, but they usually provide analog hookups.

and by usually I mean the sb voip providers in the dfw area.
then the Shaw Cable shit made me think about them taking an amphenol cable from the block to a VoIP switch like this.

Back