Anyone else get into the Lineage 2 english beta?

LostDuck said:
Oh...was hoping more of Shadowbane level for Lineage2 as they talk of castle raids...and such. I haven't read anything like that for WoW.

WoW PvP is still subject to change, but as of right now they have instanced PvP. Bascially there are zones across the game, you enter the zone and it's open PvP. The thing is, the game sends you to different instances of the PvP area depending on your level. So if you're say, level 30, you wont be fighting level 5 guys, you'll just see a lot of similar level guys running around and fighitng. It's all seamless, so it's not like your being teleported to some new land or anything. Also, apparantly it's being set up as sort NPC+Plaer Vs. NPC+Player, meaning that there will be forts or whatever which will constantly produce friendly fighters who then go towards the enemy and fight other players and NPC's, or you can have them follow you and help you fight. They're also saying that the PvP will be objective based, so if you manage to capture say a tower on a hill your entire faction or whatever will gain a bonus, be it a new quest or something else. However, there is NO PvP outside of those zones. Again it's all subject to change, but thats the way it is so far.

Lineage on the otherhand, has completely open PvP. You can kill whomever you want, whenever you want. The only catch is, if they don't fight back then you gain badkarma. When you have badkarma your name turns red and you have a higher chance of dropping something when you die, as well the town guards will attack you on sight. Thus people with red names rarely live long once they near civilization :p.

The castle seiges are part of the guild v guild PvP thing, and I beleive are only implemented so far in the Korean full release.

Honestly I really don't like Lineage all that much, the world just seems so... dead. There's not too many quests at all, so basically you spend the entire time walking around killing creatures that are considered easy for you (Lineage is weird that way, it's better to kill lots of easy creatures fast rather than just a few hard creatures at a time) and gaining gold. Level's don't matter all that much really, aside from the obvious levels where new skills open, or you change classes, but other than that the entire game pretty much revolves around equipment, and the equipment is expensive as hell. I dunno, I just got tired of spending 6hours killing nothing but stone golems so I could get 5-6k, while the next best sword (the 4th worst I beleive, a long sword) costs ~125k.

Last edited:
StreakinMe said:
Honestly I really don't like Lineage all that much, the world just seems so... dead. There's not too many quests at all, so basically you spend the entire time walking around killing creatures that are considered easy for you (Lineage is weird that way, it's better to kill lots of easy creatures fast rather than just a few hard creatures at a time) and gaining gold. Level's don't matter all that much really, aside from the obvious levels where new skills open, or you change classes, but other than that the entire game pretty much revolves around equipment, and the equipment is expensive as hell. I dunno, I just got tired of spending 6hours killing nothing but stone golems so I could get 5-6k, while the next best sword (the 4th worst I beleive, a long sword) costs ~125k.

not so much, the NA beta is much different from asian versions as i noted before, with regards to xp, grouping, etc... also there are plenty of quests (number wise and depth wise they are really not all that different from wow, they get better at higher leves, and eventually require coordinated groups to complete)... i think you are missing something if you think it evolves around equipment, and the way you describe it isnt much different than other games (wow will be even worse for you then, since not only are there unique items. quest items, rare items, etc, there will even be server specific items, (talk about it being about equipment)...

im not sure what you played or how long, but it sounds to me like you were looking at it with something else in mind (mmorpgs all have plenty of item whoring and mindless leveling, l2 at least keeps upping the ante as you get to higher levels), the game doesnt really come into swing till your guild has a dragon, and most of your membership is 50+ in levels...

thats not to mention L2s chronicle system, which rivals WoW's 5 year event timeline

thats also not to mentiont that sieging system is for all versions, but will be a tad different on the chronicle that will be released in the US (which involve some aspects you wont even have access to in WoW)...

dont get me wrong, i didnt really have an interest in L2 for a long time, and was only waiting out darkfall/wow, but L2 is really starting to shape up, so its worth giving a chance imo...

Maniacal said:
not so much, the NA beta is much different from asian versions as i noted before, with regards to xp, grouping, etc... also there are plenty of quests (number wise and depth wise they are really not all that different from wow, they get better at higher leves, and eventually require coordinated groups to complete)... i think you are missing something if you think it evolves around equipment, and the way you describe it isnt much different than other games (wow will be even worse for you then, since not only are there unique items. quest items, rare items, etc, there will even be server specific items, (talk about it being about equipment)...

im not sure what you played or how long, but it sounds to me like you were looking at it with something else in mind (mmorpgs all have plenty of item whoring and mindless leveling, l2 at least keeps upping the ante as you get to higher levels), the game doesnt really come into swing till your guild has a dragon, and most of your membership is 50+ in levels...

thats not to mention L2s chronicle system, which rivals WoW's 5 year event timeline

thats also not to mentiont that sieging system is for all versions, but will be a tad different on the chronicle that will be released in the US (which involve some aspects you wont even have access to in WoW)...

dont get me wrong, i didnt really have an interest in L2 for a long time, and was only waiting out darkfall/wow, but L2 is really starting to shape up, so its worth giving a chance imo...

I played both the Korean and Chinese beta's, in the Korean I got to 19, Chinese I got to about 24 before I finally couldn't stand it anymore. There are not that many quests, per race, but yes, there are quite a few total, although nothing like WoW from what they've been saying. I played humans and lets see, there was the map quest, the doll thing, the fangs, the letter, one other where you ran to three people in town or so, the mirrors quest, the sword quest, golem shards, spider skins then that was it untill much higher levels. Should you go to the mainland there were a few you could do, mainly involving the killing of mushrooms, but thats about it.

If you think that it doesn't evolve around equipment then you probably haven't played all that much. During the Korean beta I saw a group of what, 7 TW players all around lvl 10 or so take on a, I beleive 23 or 24 knight and they completely got their asses handed to them. They wailed on him for a good minute or so while he was shouting something like "no, friend friend" or something, then he cast sheild stun, hit one guy, hit him again and killed him. It didn't matter that there were 7 people ranging from 9-13 vs one guy at ~24 getting in a good minutes worth of free hits, what mattered was we/they were all in crappy gear, the best had a wooden breastplate, while the other guy was in bronze armor with a Falchion.

Equipment is the end all be all of the game, Levels only give you more life and mana, and open up the option of learning new skills with skill points. A level 10 character with bronze armor and a falchion can easilly take on and kill a lvl30 character with crappy armor/wepons. Mages are a bit different as their spells gain strength with skill points, but for the most part they're the same way, you need good equipment to actually kill anything.

As for what I wanted in the game... I don't know, I wanted something a little bit more interesting. The game world is bland, the scenery is beautiful don't get me wrong, but it's just so sterile. Walking around the continent you'll see the same thing over and over and over again; a road with various types of enemies (usually they look alike with just their names changed) crammed on either side, and a few trees here and there. There may be some sort of colored mist around, but nothing really interesting.

:shrug: it seems to me like the developers designed the game solely for PvP, and the entire world was created as nothing more than a place to go out and kill some shit so you can get to the next level rather than it being an actually interesting world to explore and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the PvP aspect of the game, it was pretty interesting and I'm sure it would be fun once you spent the countless hours needed to get a castle, but from what I've heard of the current Korean game, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I signed up for, and downloaded the US beta simply for a time killer. If the game is good for one thing it's killing time. Mindless camping of mobs for hours on end, resting for good chunks of time inbetween... it really kills the hours :p

Last edited:
Limbo said:
how the fuck did you get it and I didn't.

It will be open beta inside a month probably, why didn't you play the Korean or Taiwan beta? The Taiwan beta stopped forcing proxies after like a week or two, you could have played all you wanted.

ive played 40+ levels in l2, and still dont think its anymore about items than WoW or any other mmorpg... further more, levels are VERY important, as crits and sbc, and some of the full ss abilities are based on levels, also, those high levels skills can definately make a diference, even with crap gear (but like i said, its still not any worse than any other mmorpg, including wow)

...but like i said, the NA versions are different than the asian versions, so say what you will, but those of us playing closed beta cant say much more ;o

Last edited:
Limbo said:
Is leveling faster in NA beta? Since 90% of the population have ADD?

cant say ;)

really, the game evolves around high level grouping, its not really starting to get fun till 20+ and start hitting dungeons with a good group... and then it really ramps up 40+ when you get your groups 20+ to full guilds ~40 to hit the really big mobs where you need that many people (dragons etc)...

It becomes a chore to lvl after lvl 20, I just give up cuz it gets so fucking godawful boring.

its definately not worth it if it you dont have a good guild/good groups, cause otherwise it would just be too slow, but if your guild can feild it its great...

its not a game like sb, where you have like 15 characters over the course of the game, most people will have one character.

For those that pre-ordered...

l2post.gif

if anybody preordered and got into NACB hook me up with one of your accounts so i can play. I got blocked outta jap beta and am gonna be bored this weekend

Back