Any suggestions on winter jackets?

Clever

Veteran X
I am looking for a new winter jacket but I have no clue which brands are generally considered the best as far as price and quality goes because I haven't bought one in about 6 years. With that said I was hoping there where some jacket experts on tw.com that could point me in the right direction(there is an expert for everything else it seems).

I was looking at jackets from MEC and NorthFace but have no clue how they compare. I also live in Canada so I need something fairly warm :(

I know alot of people that swear by North Face, I stuck with Columbia last year. I like most coats with a micro fleece liner and a nice shell. My new Columbia is about 5 pounds lighter and alot warmer than my previous one (probably 6 years old now).

Helado said:
I know alot of people that swear by North Face, I stuck with Columbia last year. I like most coats with a micro fleece liner and a nice shell. My new Columbia is about 5 pounds lighter and alot warmer than my previous one (probably 6 years old now).

North face is way over priced for just a winter jacket.
Maybe if he's going mountian climbing.

Although I got one of these
http://www.dickies.com/wc2/product.asp?cat=101&type=H&styd=78266CH&pdscr=TWO+TONE+TWILL+JACKET+

And it's works fine for being outside long enough to clean off your car and while it warms up. (I'm in Minneapolis BTW, so yes, winter gets cold here)

Last edited:
ZombieAFO said:
North face is way over priced for just a winter jacket.
Maybe if he's going mountian climbing.

Although I got one of these
http://www.dickies.com/wc2/product.asp?cat=101&type=H&styd=78266CH&pdscr=TWO+TONE+TWILL+JACKET+

And it's works fine for being outside long enough to clean off your car and while it warms up. (I'm in Minneapolis BTW, so yes, winter gets cold here)

Personally I like something that I can go skiing/boarding in. I don't know how much a North Face runs, but it's probably more than a Columbia.

i've had the columbia buggabo, the columbia boulder ridge, and now i have a northface

i like the northface the best. they are all about the same though.

Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, North Face, Columbia whatever. Check them all out and get the best. May I suggest a nice poofy down jacket. The ladies will flock to you and they're light and compactable. Who cares if you look like a fruit.

I have a good northface coat. If you can make it to one of the two northface outlets (In Maine or California) then they usually have overstocked jackets for cheap. Got mine for $60 (regularly $200+).

Back