Android phones in June/July

Legend

Veteran XX
My contract ran out this week so I'm looking for a new Android phone. Saw a Samsung Galaxy S3, pretty sweet. Saw a HTC One X, pretty sweet. Bit big though, these.

Are there any other imminent phones I should hang on for, maybe a bit smaller but still bigger than the iPhone? Or is this it for a while as far as nice-ass top-end mobiles go? I really want a new one within a month.

Thanks guys. :psyduck:

I have the GS2 and it's awesome, i imagine the gs3 is also awesome but i've yet to play with one.

I just got my wife the galaxy nexus, it's pretty awesome.

It depends on who you're carrier is...

bleeding edge upgrades makes the telcos happy

Go with an Evo V 4g on Virgin for $35 a month, no contract.

i just got a galaxy nexus and use tmobile. my first android phone... love it, woul recommend to anybody. and im under no contract best part. :sunny:

bleeding edge upgrades makes the telcos happy

Go with an Evo V 4g on Virgin for $35 a month, no contract.

I've got an HTC Evo 4g with Sprint now, if my contract expires can I use the same phone on Virgin? My understanding is it's the same network. Any other drawbacks (speed, something else)?

Since you're out of contract, you may want to consider buying an unlocked GSM galaxy nexus straight from google ($400). You could stick it on a prepaid network and save a pretty substantial amount of money. List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Straight Talk is popular for stuff like this. It runs on the AT&T network with $45/month unlimited talk text and data* (people have been shut off around 2gb, there doesn't seem to be an exact line where the shutoff happens).
Go Red Pocket is pretty cool too. Also on AT&T network.

Most of the others run on t-mobile network, which kind of sucks if you aren't in a metro area. T-mobile itself has the cheapest plans though if you aren't a big talker (100 mins, unlimited text, unlimited data $30 a month).

Anyway if you don't feel like checking that out, the Nexus is also available on verizon. It's smaller than the s3 and onex, has a worse camera and slower specs but I doubt the experience overall on the other two could be much better since the nexus has vanilla android with no manufacturer skinning. I've used it (gsm version) for a few months now and it's totally perfect.

I preordered a galaxy since Verizon is a bunch of assholes trying to get me out of my grandfathered unlimited data plan if I waited any longer for my upgrade.

Hopefully it's nice as my droid x is finally taking a dump.

my nexus beats out Tegra quad cores :eek:

gnex_bench.png

the reviews are starting to come in about the S3 and they are saying its great but not as good as the OneX, mainly cause the screen isnt as good and the touchwiz software is garbage

i have the gs3 addon pack on my nexus and it has touchwiz, i wouldn't say its garbage i just don't think its any better or worse than the stock launcher or Nova launcher

I've got an HTC Evo 4g with Sprint now, if my contract expires can I use the same phone on Virgin? My understanding is it's the same network. Any other drawbacks (speed, something else)?

some people have gotten other phones to work but some haven't.

Only big drawback is there is NO roaming whatsoever. I only go out of the sprint network once a year so I just throw on grooveip and use wifi. That and you have to buy your phone outright. But you end up saving a ton.

Over the same 2 year time period of a contract, I will have spent $600 for service and $150 for the phone for a total of $750 (i am grandfathered in to the $25/mo plan). Nothing comes close.

I've been up on my contract for awhile on T-Mobile and I'm holding off on the S3. It's way over priced for the 16gb blue. I might get the note if it comes out or wait until Google announces their next phones and go contract-less. T-Mobile really needs to step up their game and get some kind of exclusive flagship though. Being the first to adopt Android is why I switched.

I need to figure out the service range around here for other carriers, fuck being with verizon at the moment.

Back