airshow day (pic thread)

1011.jpg

1132.jpg

Last edited:
why the hell would I watermark AIRSHOW photos?

if I stuck my wm in the corner, 2 seconds in photoshop could fix that.

So that means a big transparent bullshit watermark over the center plane, which would look like shit. And that kind of defeats the purpose of taking the photo in the first place.

moreover I wasn't providing any photography "services" since I was just some dick at an airshow, I wasn't hired by westover or anything. I seriously doubt someone "stealing" a photo (download it btw i dont care) impacts my wedding and event business negatively.

Its not about whether or not you can remove it, its to tell other businesses that the photo is not public domain...unless you want it to be. I don't understand why you'd want to spend your time and effort and the use of your expensive camera equipment so some airplane magazine halfway across the country can stick it in their magazine instead of paying for the services of an event photographer or at least licensing stock photography.

I'm sure that your airshow photos being used elsewhere won't impact your wedding business at all, but as a photographer you should feel a part of the greater art and photography community. What if I decided to move to your area and offer free wedding photography for people because it wouldn't impact my real estate photography business?

I'm not really too concerned about these airshow photos obviously, really I'm just venting about the changes that I feel might cripple the arts industry in the future.

and I don't understand why someone who claims to support photographer rights would be bitching about what the photographer (i.e. me) chooses to put in their image.

If I wanted to ruin a perfectly good photo with a watermark I would have put one there. Plus, there were like half a million people at the show. There are 100,000 other photos of the exact same thing.

What if I decided to move to your area and offer free wedding photography for people because it wouldn't impact my real estate photography business?

Id say you're within your rights, its a free country. I also shoot real estate as well. (IRL not in a hypothetical.) Maybe i'll start giving that away for free to counter you.

Last edited:
and I don't understand why someone who claims to support photographer rights would be bitching about what the photographer (i.e. me) chooses to put in their image.

If I wanted to ruin a perfectly good photo with a watermark I would have put one there. Plus, there were like half a million people at the show. There are 100,000 other photos of the exact same thing.

pengo said:
I'm not really too concerned about these airshow photos obviously, really I'm just venting about the changes that I feel might cripple the arts industry in the future.

Meaning that there is getting to be so much cheap or free and easily accessible stock photography (and other types of artwork as well) these days that there will be less demand for artists of all types, while there are more and more people wanting careers in the area.

There will still be a place for original art creation of course, but if you think business aren't going to think twice about paying $500 (or whatever the going rate is) for a photographer to shoot an event VS searching recenteventphotos.com and downloading one for free...

Last edited:
what about meta tags in the image itself? wouldn't that serve the same purpose without screwing up the image.

Yes it can be stripped off, but that is the same as doctoring it is PS anyways.

All this is sort of intellectual anyways since I could care less if someone "steals" my images. Enjoy your 1000px photos, I have the 10mp originals..

Id say you're within your rights, its a free country. I also shoot real estate as well. (IRL not in a hypothetical.) Maybe i'll start giving that away for free to counter you.

Yes, that was my point exactly... (I don't actually shoot real estate..) We would both quickly find ourselves flipping burgers in that scenario. Anyway, yeah the whole idea was that as an artist its your responsibility to not damage the industry in any way, even if its not going to directly harm your business. Sort of like the environment, only this actually matters :D

That's a very simplistic way of looking at things.

Pro photographers who are actually competent business people get things like exclusivity contracts and longterm deals. We also don't sell individual photos after the fact, we're contracted for the event for a decent amount and we give them everything. So if someone like you comes along and tries to move in, well, you can't. Even if your photos were better or cheaper, my clients are locked in. This makes watermarks entirely meaningless, since the people im interested in selling my photos to can't buy from anyone else anyways. There's certain situations where you need them (portrait proofs) but other than that I can't think of one.

Now weddings are almost entirely different, being the one-time events that they are, but ive found that people are willing to pay a decent amount for someone who is fairly well known - unfortunately im not, which sucks, since people have been doing this for 20 years, which remains the reason I do other things in probably 3-4 other areas. But ill get there. But you know, it brings up a different point, weddings are entirely unaffected since.. who shows up to shoot some random person's wedding?

To the point: there's business, and then theres getting drunk and attending an airshow.

Last edited:
you don't watermark your photos?
these are fairly high res. no reason not to-even something small and transparent in the corner would work.

as i recall, you want to be a professional photographer. posting these around with no watermark indirectly/directly takes away from future demand for photography services.

its unfortunate, but most people think everything on the internet is free to use for whatever they want, and most artists aren't going to go through the hassle of a lawsuit even if they do somehow discover someone using their work. a little copyright symbol and your name or website would solve most potential problems.

sorry man everything on the internet is free to use for whatever you want.

Jesus, only on TW can a thread about sweet airshow pics devolve into an arguement about giving away free wedding photography services because you didn't watermark your airplane pics.

I only go to the shows at Barnes...It's not worth the stress of driving into Chicopee during an airshow. My father's place has a great view of it anyway, can see all of the arial stuff, just none of the hands on "on the ground" exibits.

Back