Air Powered Car

The_Ham

Veteran XX
This looks pretty cool to me. It's engine uses compressed air to drive the pistons instead of the small explosions from fuel in the standard combustion engine. Takes about $2 dollars worth of electricity to run a compressor to fill the tanks and it's only exhaust is clean air.

Main site: The MDI Air Car - The World´s Cleanest Car.

Of course the big oil and major car companies in America will never let this car see a road here.

running in city driving, you can get about 2 hours of drive time according to the video. for long distance driving using a small gas powered engine to run a compressor to refill the tanks you can drive from LA to NYC on 1 tank of gas.

I would imagine it has a compressor, so there's no refueling?

dunno, didnt watch the video

... and what powers the compressor? The laws of thermodynamics are absolute - it cant power its own compressor using the air that it compressed for itself without wasting more energy than is gained. So, how far can it cruise before needing to be restocked/refueled/recharged/repumped/rewhatevered?

Ok Ham, riddle me this - how much HP does it have? How many passengers can it handle, how does it handle inclines and altitude? Max speed for highway driving and best 0-60?

... and what powers the compressor? The laws of thermodynamics are absolute - it cant power its own compressor using the air that it compressed for itself without wasting more energy than is gained. So, how far can it cruise before needing to be restocked/refueled/recharged/repumped/rewhatevered?

ah. true story. didn't think about that.

In they video they say they're working to get the range up to 4100 kilometers or Los Angeles to New York. Current range is 200km / top speed of 110 km/h.

In they video they say they're working to get the range up to 4100 kilometers or Los Angeles to New York. Current range is 200km / top speed of 110 km/h.

You didn't listen. On a single tank you got 200km. If you combine that with an on board compressor and a small little (3-5hp) engine that turns on every hour to charge the air tanks. You could easily go very far on only a few gallons.

sounds fun

wont see wide appeal due to speed restrictions, capacity limit, and acceleration.

Still not bad for a first generation idea. Maybe in 15 years something like this will come out that is awesome :)

I wish I could own one for my five minute drive to work, then have a separate car for road trips.

sounds fun

wont see wide appeal due to speed restrictions, capacity limit, and acceleration.

Still not bad for a first generation idea. Maybe in 15 years something like this will come out that is awesome :)

The one using a modified engine would be almost identical to a gas one except for how freaking loud it is. It is probably comparable to a diesel I bet.

sounds fun

I bet its a blast in winter.

Back