[Advice] Moving to Madison

Lioneln

Veteran X
So I got a job offer from UW-Madison (lol party school, farmers markets, Scott Walker [sucks/rocks] my dick- delete as appropriate, etc. etc.) and I don't know much about Madison (see above). I need some seasoned Madisonians to give me some facts from the ground.

What do you like / dislike about Madison?
- Cost of living is pretty reasonable, people seemed friendly the one time I went there before... is this accurate?
- College students probably get pretty damn annoying? Shouldn't live too close to campus if I wanna be able to sleep at night?

Where are some decent neighborhoods to rent that aren't more than half an hour's drive from the university but won't be overpriced (I will have a car)... and public transportation doesn't suck, does it?

What non-cheese related activities are there during evenings (so I can chill after work) and on weekends (so I'm not sitting at home stewing about how much Tribes Assend sucks)?
- Any small music venues I should know about?
- Good restaurants?

i don't live in madison but i got to their farmers market on saturdays now and again.

as long as you are not right by the bars or near their frats you wont have an issue with non stop partying. maybe the occasional party now and again but no big deal.

how old are you? I'm 27 and downtown has a ton of bars, restaurants, and entertainment. I've never been there in the winter, but spring/summer/fall in madison is the shit.

Lastly, if I lived in Madison the first thing I would invest in is a little laser (sail boat) to dick around on. The little lakes are awesome.

Madison is good for the most part. It's very different from the East Coast (where I'm originally from) but I'd say everyone is a lot nicer here.

The cost of living is pretty awesome, especially since most places have some kind of 1 dollar beer night which is unfindable in New England.

I live about 10 blocks from Campus (right next to the Capitol) and I've never had any problems with noise or rowdy college kids. It kinda depends on your age but if you're somewhere in your mid 20's, there's a great young professional crowd at Capitol bars.

I know nothing about public transportation but I know the buses do exist. There are plenty of restaurants and music venues though it really depends what you're into. Madison has a really big semi-hipster vibe which gets annoying but it leads to a lot of good local options for food.

Depending on where you're from, Madison can get a little small, which is why I go to Chicago at least once a month since it's only 2 1/2 hours away, but that's kinda up to you.

Ask Jamie since she's spent a stupid amount of time there for school. I am quite jealous of Madison's lakes.

if i were a carpetbagger getting worked up about state-level politics, i'd probably wear a local team's hat (e.g. BREWERS) before being immortalized on national television as a local sports traitor (and therefore a state-level political traitor)

it's about winning hearts and minds, and an alternate colors, pre-weathered post-2004 sox cap  (he will not claim it is 1970s coloring b/c he doesn't know that there was a decade called 1970-1979)  isn't going to do that in wisconsin, imo

Last edited:
i used to talk to several cute university girls in Madison on the intarwebs. seems madison is chock full of hotties. fuck as many as possible. /advice

Back