ADHD

Do any of you have ADHD? I think my four year old son has it. I've been reading about it and watching videos from various websites. I thought it was something he would grow out of but it's not getting better.

My question for any of you who might have it and take medication is this: if he is diagnosed with it and needs medication, does the medication make any of you like zombies? I'd rather not have my son act like a mindless fuck who has no personality. But I also don't want him being "that kid" in school.

I wouldn't be too worried if he's only 4
in Finland we have evaluation before school, if the kid is mature enough to attend to school. and if not they post-point it a year.

psychiatrists tend to diagnose everykid with ADHD even if they really don't have it.
so I'd see few of them before actually being sure that's the case.

I have ADD, I don't think it would classify as ADHD, but I have been extremely hesitant to take medication for it for the same reasons you are talking about. I have not liked the side effects of some other medications I have been on and it makes me want to stay away from medication in general. However, I'm starting to think the ADD has more of an impact on my life than I thought it did. Honestly, as someone with similar issues, I would suggest giving it a try at some point if the problems persist. I'm not sure I would do it at 4 years old just because on top of your view of the changes it makes, I think you should wait until he will be able to help accurately determine the impact that it really has on him.

ADHD usually goes away as u get older and it becomes more ADD

dont give ur kid ritalin unless u want them to be snorting drugs by grade 5 and selling his ritalin to his classmates.. (trust me)

ritalin is the biggest gateway drug in north america as far as im concerned.

My son and daughter have it, I cannot remember the name of the pills they take but it really helps them in school. If they didnt take them they would drive the teachers crazy. My son is 11 and he act's and plays normaly and my daughter is the same....but they tend to get a bit emotional sometimes and there eating habbits tend to suck cause it upsets there stomach's. But i keep my kids active with sports and camp during the summer and keep them off the pill until school restarts.

I wouldn't be too worried if he's only 4
in Finland we have evaluation before school, if the kid is mature enough to attend to school. and if not they post-point it a year.

psychiatrists tend to diagnose everykid with ADHD even if they really don't have it.
so I'd see few of them before actually being sure that's the case.
It's been going on for about a year. He is non stop. He has been kicked out of tumbling class in daycare. He never listens. Yelling, spanking, timeout doesn't work. I take him out in public and he is all over the place. I watch other kids his age with their parents and notice how well behaved they are.

ADHD usually goes away as u get older and it becomes more ADD

dont give ur kid ritalin unless u want them to be snorting drugs by grade 5 and selling his ritalin to his classmates.. (trust me)

ritalin is the biggest gateway drug in north america as far as im concerned.
Yeah I was reading about some new drug that came out in 2003. It's a nonstimulent of some kind. I don't want him getting older and doing just this.

My son and daughter have it, I cannot remember the name of the pills they take but it really helps them in school. If they didnt take them they would drive the teachers crazy. My son is 11 and he act's and plays normaly and my daughter is the same....but they tend to get a bit emotional sometimes and there eating habbits tend to suck cause it upsets there stomach's. But i keep my kids active with sports and camp during the summer and keep them off the pill until school restarts.
That's encouraging to hear this. He does drive the teachers crazy. He's been in two different daycares and all of them said he doesn't listen at all. Even around the house he just goes crazy. I take him to the park and shit to wear his ass out but it seems like a never ending supply of energy.

That's a good idea keeping them off of the medication during the summer.

for gods sakes just dicipline ur kids.. stop doping them up because its easier.

My prescription was so huge they had me be a zombie.

by grade 4 the older grade 6 - 8 kept buying my ritalin off me. when figured out why, eventually i tried crushing it and sniffing it. IN GRADE 5.

ritalin may make ur kids "managable" but so does proper parenting.

I was the first of the ritalin generation.. im the first of them to be grown up and know the effects and im telling you, in my opinion, it should be illegal to give that shit to kids.

every kid taking ritalin in hte school became a drug dealer and an addict.

in grade 9 when i got to highschool (canada) I confronted my dad and told him what had been going on and told him i wanted him to cancel my prescription.. because the evils of Ritalin FAR FAR outweigh the benifits

Last edited:
It's been going on for about a year. He is non stop. He has been kicked out of tumbling class in daycare. He never listens. Yelling, spanking, timeout doesn't work. I take him out in public and he is all over the place. I watch other kids his age with their parents and notice how well behaved they are.

You should talk to the other parents about how to treat your child, instead of pill loving doctors.

I took several different ADD medications back when I was in school, Dexadrine and Adderall worked the best for me, but everyone is different. I only really needed the medication for school, my problem was focusing, not so much with the hyperactivity.

Edit: Also, ignore all the retards that will just cry about you parenting your kids. All the "parenting" in the world wouldn't have done shit for me. If you can't concentrate, you can't concentrate. No amount of time out is going to change that.

I took several different ADD medications back when I was in school, Dexadrine and Adderall worked the best for me, but everyone is different. I only really needed the medication for school, my problem was focusing, not so much with the hyperactivity.

Edit: Also, ignore all the retards that will just cry about you parenting your kids. All the "parenting" in the world wouldn't have done shit for me. If you can't concentrate, you can't concentrate. No amount of time out is going to change that.

the strong risk of drug addiction far outweighs any merits the drug has

There is no such thing as ADD / ADHD. It needs no medication, simply an outlet. Drugging up your kid for this completely fictional condition should be criminalized.

Whatever - every kid has tendencies to be hyper and have a short attention span. That's normal, not a condition.

I have adhd, and have been on every drug they offer. The shit works, but the health risks are too great. Just slap em around a little bit.

There is no such thing as ADD / ADHD. It needs no medication, simply an outlet. Drugging up your kid for this completely fictional condition should be criminalized.

Imma have to agree here. You couldn't pay me to drug my kids like that. Therapy at worst (and I mean worst). Don't do it man. A therapist, after lots of money, will tell you the same thing absent just did for free. A creative outlet is a good solution.

Last edited:
What most people believe to be ADHD is just lack of parenting skills. I coach 3 different sports and I've had a ton of kids who were "ADHD"...very very few of them truly were.

I personally would NEVER put a child on a drug for ADHD. The hyperactivity can be addressed through discipline...though it will not be easy.

The ADD part of ADHD is the concern that you should be worried about. I'm 32 and I have ADD. We only recently figured this out 3 years ago. It was amazing how much it explained about things I have done throughout my life and how negatively it has effected me in my school work, jobs, relationship...everything. I'm now on Adderall for it and the change has been wonderful, though it still is a large part of my life.

I would take a step back and evaluate yourself as a parent. I'd also get some input from friends. You need to figure out if you think your kid has ADHD or if you are just lacking as a parent (I do not say that to be mean either). I would also suggest reading up on ADHD and ADD online or checking a few books out of the library. I'd link you to some stuff, but I'm actually headed out the door to the doctor...for an appointment about...my ADD.

Pick up a couple of self help books on parenting. Improve your skills and try some commonsense stuff before you decide the problem is chemically based. Good luck.

Back