a million little pieces

BurninSnipa

Veteran XX
I'm sure some of you around here have read this, but many others probably have not.

1565117786.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A national bestseller and one of Oprah's idolized "Book Club" books, soccer moms and TV nerds everywhere feed off it. However the powerful story that James Frey tells has nothing to do with Oprah, or mass media, or even the everyday average Joe.

As someone who has been around and dealt with some heinously fucked up addicts and the morbid environments that surround them, a strong personal connection developed as I read on. I read constantly, usually at about a hundred pages an hour, but I've been taking my time with this book. Not because it is a hard read, or anything of the sort, but because I want to absorb every word this man has written down.

The excerpt on the back of the book tells of a beaten man who seems at the end of his days, but the depth and impossibility of his experiences are impossible to relate in a single paragraph. The depravity he encounters and speaks of is terrifying. The loss and anguish he deals with seems incomprehensible. But the power and strength this man has to live through what he has must be inhuman.

This book is for anyone who has ever felt hurt, lost, sad, alone or afraid. If you've ever had to escape your everyday life through the use or abuse of any destructive behavior, this book is for you. If you've ever contemplated or attempted suicide, tried to hurt yourself as punishment, or taken your rage out on others unfairly, then you should definitely read this book.

I hate to sound like a preacher, and I'm not purporting this as a method of self-help... I'm sure Mr. Frey would not look kindly upon that. I just think that his book might serve as a reminder to all of us who like to party hard just where we might end up. And for all of those who don't understand, this book might be an insight into a world you didn't know exsisted.

I'm sure this sounds terrifyingly homosexual to all of you, but since TW is the only online community I'm a part of, I figured I'd share it.

<flame>

I read "No true glory" monday. It was about the marines in fallujah and I'm sure it kicked the shit out of that book.

I read a book called "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs a few months ago. Now that is a fucked up autobiography.

But yeah, this post is not even close to relevant to the subject, so see you guys later.

Finski said:
I read a book called "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs a few months ago. Now that is a fucked up autobiography.

But yeah, this post is not even close to relevant to the subject, so see you guys later.
That was a sweet album.

BurninSnipa said:
And for all of those who don't understand, this book might be an insight into a world you didn't know exsisted.

I fall in that catagory, is the book interesting or is it just the guy talking about his feelings?

hey, i might read that because of what you posted, and I rarely read books. So that says something. I'll let you know how I like it if I do pick it up :]

Cael said:
I fall in that catagory, is the book interesting or is it just the guy talking about his feelings?

The book is incredibly interesting and I would definitely recommend it as a casual read even to someone uninvolved in the the drug sub-culture.

It is very Kerouac-esque and follows the stream of conciousness style, but at the same time has an interesting structure that you can pick up on.

Back