3g/4g internet -> wired router?

willisan

Veteran XV
I'm setting up a dvr system to monitor a remote location. There is no power or net on site, and now I am working on the net part. I see some 3g routers online, but anyone I talk to at Verizon or Sprint has no idea.

I am looking to use one of the Mifi's I have to connect to a router to provide an ethernet port (for the dvr.) I've read you can do this, but have any of you guys done this successfully?

How will you do this with no power?

It is just for a few weeks until temp line gets dropped in, but I have a small ultra quiet honda gas generator. It can run about 7 hours on a gallon of fuel. I figured geny-> battery backup, so the system will stay running when it is turned off to refuel.

As for noise, we will either build a container for it, modify a jobbox or keep it in a vented trailer.

It is just for a few weeks until temp line gets dropped in, but I have a small ultra quiet honda gas generator. It can run about 7 hours on a gallon of fuel. I figured geny-> battery backup, so the system will stay running when it is turned off to refuel.

As for noise, we will either build a container for it, modify a jobbox or keep it in a vented trailer.

That'll work .. just make sure and run a decent UPS off of the generator

You can pretty easily get a wireless router that supports dd-wrt or tomato and set it up as a wireless access point. Or you can just get a native wireless access point.

there's 3g modems/routers out there with built-in ethernet ports, just like you'd get in a DSL system.

Huawei E960, for example.

Though if you're out in the boonies without a particularly great signal, you might want to add a high-gain, external antenna to it.

Yeah Vlassic, I've read people saying you can do that, just that some had trouble with keeping the connection up. I will try that tonight with some spare stuff I have.

If ladies want to pee behind a pile of steel beams and construction equipment, I guess you could say Yes :brows:

It's in a city, so strong 3g/possible 4g

Yeah MC, I could dig something like that too, but when I've called Sprint or verizon to see if I could activate one of these, they have no clue.

Last edited:
Back