2nd generation immigrants

Degenerate

Veteran XX
I'm gotta write a paper on the issues behind 2nd gen immigrants.

Throw out some issues later generations might have integrating into a society (this isn't just America, any immigration group into any country).

Anyone have good ideas or examples?

aight you're confusing race relations with immigrant issues but thanks i guess? immigrant issues being more along the lines of identity issues and stuff.....

Osiris said:
..suck just as much as the 1st.

holy shit i just realized i am a second generation german immigrant. well half, because my mom is american.

so fuck you buddy :D

Degenerate said:
aight you're confusing race relations with immigrant issues but thanks i guess? immigrant issues being more along the lines of identity issues and stuff.....

Yes, "Sydney Riots".

As I said in there - it's not race, it's culture. (PS: different races come from different countries, therefore tend to be immigrants or the descendants of immigrants, therefore race relations and immigrant issues are tightly entwined)

izod said:
holy shit i just realized i am a second generation german immigrant. well half, because my mom is american.

so fuck you buddy :D

Sorry, I thought this was about black/brown people

does second generation mean your parents, or grandparents were immigrants? Never quite understood whether the immigrants themselves are considered as 0 or 1...

MC Hamster said:
does second generation mean your parents, or grandparents were immigrants? Never quite understood whether the immigrants themselves are considered as 0 or 1...

I think 2nd is parents, like if your parents immgrated and had you, youre a 2nd
3rd is grandparents.

Not sure though.

The first group of people to move to a country is the first generation, their kids (the first born in the country) are second generation, their kids are 3rd etc.

However scholars have made another group, the 1.5 generation, where a young kid immigrates here. Even though they're first generation they still grow up in the host country.

And the sydney riots just talk about race, there's no mention of immigrants. They could be first generation or they could be 7th generation, we don't know. And for me to write about it in my paper, I'd need to know.

I was born in ireland but imported to the US at 6 months and adopted by american parents...

does that make me 1st gen or 2nd gen?

:spineyes:

Putrid said:
I was born in ireland but imported to the US at 6 months and adopted by american parents...

does that make me 1st gen or 2nd gen?

:spineyes:

Hmm.. well, that "gen 1.5" thing would appear to work on the fact that the parents are gen 1, and you're not really a genuine local to get that whole extra 1 generation away from them to the two.. only a half, so you're the gen 1 of your parents, and the 0.5 yourself.. gen 1.5.

Depending on viewpoint, it could be that you don't get that extra 1 to get away from your birth parents, so you're 0.5.. that's daft, though.. Otherwise, you have to trace back your adoptive parents family trees to get to however many generation immigrants they are, and add a bit (but not a full 1) onto that.. but that doesn't account for the fact that you're biologically 100% Paddy, an Irish Fizzycist. The punchlines are making me dizzy.

It's a toughie, no doubt.

I'm gonna go lie down, my head's filled with quantum potatoes.

MC Hamster said:
Hmm.. well, that "gen 1.5" thing would appear to work on the fact that the parents are gen 1, and you're not really a genuine local to get that whole extra 1 generation away from them to the two.. only a half, so you're the gen 1 of your parents, and the 0.5 yourself.. gen 1.5.

Depending on viewpoint, it could be that you don't get that extra 1 to get away from your birth parents, so you're 0.5.. that's daft, though...

so that would make me half the woman I really am?

:bloops:

Back