[$110m] MPAA Defeats TorrentSpy

Plasma

Veteran X
Source: Slyck News - MPAA Defeats TorrentSpy

A Los Angeles Federal court has rendered a $110 million judgment against Valence Media, the company which operates the now defunct TorrentSpy. This judgment represents the culmination of a lengthy decline for TorrentSpy, which was slowly strangled to death by the movie industry.

Additionally, Judge Florence-Marie Cooper ruled that "Plaintiffs are awarded statutory damages of $30,00 per infringement pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 504(c), for each of the 3,699 infringements shown, for a total judgment in the amount of $110,970,000...

(The quoted text has a missing zero on $30,00 - I assume its really $30,000)

Excessive?

that depends on your definition of excessive.

the median annual income of an american household is under 50k. they owe 2200 years worth of income to the mpaa now. for what basically comes down to selling knockoff rolexes in the park.

that depends on your definition of excessive.

the median annual income of an american household is under 50k. they owe 2200 years worth of income to the mpaa now. for what basically comes down to selling knockoff rolexes in the park.
Actually, a better analogy is providing space in the park for the sellers of rolexes.

do people get in trouble for what they do on private torrent sites?

I'm not sure I've heard of any case of someone getting in trouble for what they do on a public torrent site. Other than getting their Internet connection shut off by their ISP. It was like 5 years ago that my Internet connection was down and I called my provider and they told me it was because I was sharing an episode of Stargate (which I had gotten from a public tracker). They told me not to do it again and turned me back on.

Since then, I've downloaded literally TBs of content from public trackers without complaint.

That being said...

as long as people continue to be dumb shits and use public torrent trackers like torrentspy, oink, torrentreactor, and piratebay... there probably isn't much danger of getting nabbed while file sharing on a private tracker, if they start going after individuals at all.

It's generally the people who run the sites that get into legal trouble.

Last edited:
Sex Abuse Settlement Reached Washington Archdiocese Will Split $1.3 Million Among 16 Men, by Alan Cooperman, Washington Post [Washington DC], December 16, 2006

Both the total dollar figure and the amount per victim -- an average of about $81,000 before legal fees -- are small compared with the sums negotiated by some other Catholic dioceses, particularly in California, where two recent settlements totaled $160 million and topped $1 million per victim.

So in california (same state as the MPAA case), where the settlements of priest abuse cases are lager than average, each guy fucked by a priest gets 1 million.

This means that running a torrent site is 100 times worse than a crusty old pedophile forcing a young altarboy to bend over the pew while the drooling septugenarian pushes his liverspotted old penis into the child's rectum as the child screams from the pain of foced sodomy, the loss of innocence that comes with rape, and the betrayal of a sacred trust.

Nice.

I'm not sure I've heard of any case of someone getting in trouble for what they do on a public torrent site. Other than getting their Internet connection shut off by their ISP.

That being said...

as long as people continue to be dumb shits and use public torrent trackers like torrentspy, oink, torrentreactor, and piratebay... there probably isn't much danger of getting nabbed while file sharing on a private tracker, if they start going after individuals at all.

It's generally the people who run the sites that get in trouble.
There's too many individuals.

If they even tried to sue 1 million people, they'd accomplish 2 things:
  • Put so many cases into the system that they bog down courts
  • Start an open revolt against their corporate offices

Last edited:
Back