[100+ big pics] My trip through China + SE Asia

As some people know, I have been off traveling in Asia for the last two months. I remember sehvi had posted pictures of his trip through South America, and thought some people want to see some of the stuff I saw on my trip. First the route:

route.gif

Yeah the map is a little ridiculous but was the first one I pulled up. We started off in Beijing, China and spent roughly two weeks in the country. It's not nearly enough time to see the country, and honestly soured it a bit on me. I wasn't a huge fan of China, although I think if I had spent more time there I may have warmed up to it. After China we went into Vietnam, and spent a month there. Vietnam for me was the highlight of the trip. The people were beyond friendly, the scenery was amazing and there was always something to do. After that we went into Cambodia for a week - just hit Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Cambodia was awesome as well, albeit stupid poor. We went to Bangkok to catch a cheap flight to Hong Kong, where we flew out of. We didn't spend much time in Bangkok, and the time we did was pretty much buying clothing for dirt cheap.

Anyways...on with the pics:
1.jpg

Day one, after getting in the night before we were really jet-legged. We got up and walked around at about 5:30 in the morning and wondered why Beijing was so damn empty. This is just a shot of a road (yes road) that runs between the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.

2.jpg

Everything in China is on an epic scale. The dome is the Opera house, and in the background is the People's hall - government building.

3.jpg

Gate at the base of Tiananmen Square. Keep in mind by this point it is about 7 am. Everyone is up early and running around in the morning because it gets way to hot to do anything in the afternoon. Also note the Chinese tourists in there matching hats being led around by flags - I tried to steal one but to no avail.

4.jpg

Maos tomb - he is essentially a plastic corpse...sort of weird. No pics allowed inside though.

5.jpg

More Tiananmen Square - line up for Maos tomb.

6.jpg

I had to stare down Mao. Some random Chinese dude approached me and tried to hand me his camera. I thought he wanted a shot with his wife who was with him. He shoved his wife out of the way and wanted a picture with the tall white guy...I got used to being a celebrity pretty quick.

7.jpg

Forbidden City. We were there for four hours and only did a lap down the middle, the place is so damn big.

8.jpg

Lion with baby under its paw - is female. The male one is crushing the earth under his paw. We win.

9.jpg

More Forbidden City

10.jpg

GAH GODZILLA

12.jpg

View of the city from a hill we climbed at the end. You can see how massive it is. The big section in the middle is what we walked, didnt even bother with the stuff on the side. You can see the Opera house at the end as well. Standing at the top of this hill you could turn around and all you could see was buildings - the city is stupid big. Also notice the pollution everywhere. By the end of Beijing I was spitting shit everywhere, the air is fucking gross.

13.jpg

Off to Olympic Park, at the Birds Nest. Best stadium I have ever seen.

14.jpg

Good old Chinese signs. This one is at least spelt properly, some of the signs we saw were amazing.

15.jpg

Media Tower at the Olympic Park.

16.jpg

Inside the Birds Nest - for a stadium that seats 80k, it seems pretty small from the inside.

17.jpg

Random Asian dude that was staring at me. Regular Occurrence.

18.jpg

Water Cube - we didn't go inside, but it was a pretty cool building from the outside. I used to swim competitively so I sort of wish I saw the inside in person, not a huge thing to miss though.

20.jpg

The Heavenly Temple. Huge temple made entirely out of wood - not a single nail used to hold it together. It was pretty deserted while we were there, good place to chill.

21.jpg

Another shot of the temple...

22.jpg

Our hostel was found down this Hutong (Alley). This is what traditional Beijing looked like - they tore most of them down for the Olympics to make it more western friendly.

23.jpg

Up the great wall! My buddy struggling to climb. We thought these stairs were bad...we found out how easy they were once we got to Cambodia.

24.jpg

More great wall shots.

25.jpg

More of the wall - I actually managed to fall down this badboy. There was no one on the wall except for the one section I bailed. Pure skill.

27.jpg

Off to Xi'an. Honestly not to much here - actually nothing, other than the Terracotta Warriors. They were cool to see in person, but you can't get up close so a little bit of a let down. They had some really well preserved ones set up the side that you could get close to though.

28.jpg

An Archer...

30.jpg

And the big Chamber. Estimated 8000 figures in here. They all have different faces which is pretty cool.

31.jpg

Up close and personal.

32.jpg

TAKE THAT YOU DIRTY COMMY BASTARDS

33.jpg

Shaghai time. We got there and it was raining and misty, oh wells.

34.jpg

Oh, and under construction. Fack. Shot of the Bund. I actually didnt really like Shaghai at first due to all of the construction, it made the city look like ass.

35.jpg

Close up of the Bund side.

36.jpg

Shanghai Old town. We met up with some other people who were on exchange in beijing. They were visiting Shanghai for the weekend and we just sort of tagged along for the time we were there. One of the guys actually lives about 5 mins from me in Toronto...random. Anyway, this is a section of Shanghai that has been kept somewhat preserved, traditional buildings and whatnot.

37.jpg

Yu Garden. Really cool Garden found in Shanghai. At one point it was the emperors retreat, now is just a badass rock garden.

39.jpg

Pudong District. All the finance buildings are on this side. Really cool skyline if you are into big cities.

40.jpg

A shot down the Bund.

41.jpg

Bottom of the Jin Mao tower. We hit up the worlds highest bar...87th floor.

42.jpg

View from said bar - behind glass so the pics are a bit sketchy, was pretty amazing though.

43.jpg

And night shot from the bar. We nursed the shit out of our 20 dollar beers. This was a pretty classy bar, filled with businessmen and other ballers. We walked in with flip flops and dirty backpacker clothing. Dressing up is for chumps.

44.jpg

Shanghai at night - note the big ass bottle opener on the right hand side. And that is the end of Shanghai - I actually really liked the town by the end of it. We went to a chinese club, were there till about 5 am, and it was still going hard when we left. I forgot my Camera that night, but I may be able to steal some photos from the Canadians we met there if anyone is interested.

45.jpg

Yangshuo. By far the nicest area we went in China. Karst moutains everywhere, rice paddies, amazing scenery.

46.jpg

Off to the river boats for a trip down the Li River

47.jpg

And on the boats - took us about an hour to get down the river. There were little vendors in the middle of the river you could buy beer from. We met our bikes at the end of the river and were nice and drunk to continue our bike ride.

48.jpg

Another shot...

49.jpg

Went caving, jumped in a mud pile. I am just chilling while my new best friend is lurking around. We eventually wrestled in the mud...crazy chinese.

50.jpg

RUN BUFFALO!

51.jpg

As I said - amazing scenery. It was a great place to just rent bikes and tour around. I ran into a rice paddy to get this shot.

52.jpg

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM. First night in Hanoi - capital of Vietnam. My friend heading back to our hostel.

53.jpg

Hello, motorbike? We thought the roads were bad in Hanoi, then we went to Saigon...you'll see.

54.jpg

Ha Long Bay. Imagine Yangshuo on water. This place was unbelievable. We stayed on one of the boats you can see in the harbour, drank, jumped off the top, had a grand old time.

55.jpg

As I said, unbelievable.

56.jpg

Went on a jungle trek on Cat Ba island in Ha Long Bay. 38 Celsius, 90% humidity...lovely.

57.jpg

Was worth the view though. The peak was only 450m, but it felt a lot higher. They had a sketchy rusted observation deck we climbed as well. This is a shot from the top of it - it was held together with rusted bolts and rotting wood. We had about 12 people up top, then realized there was a sign at the bottom that said max of 4 - whoops.

58.jpg

Welcome to the DMZ. The heaviest fighting of the American war was here. We went with a tour guide as there were mortars and UXO everywhere. We got some friends we met on our bus down to go in on it with us, ended up paying about 8 CAD each for the half day.

59.jpg

Oh look a bullet.

60.jpg

North Vietnamese Graveyard. This one has about 7000 buried in it. Our guide said there were 82 (or 84, cant remember) in the province alone.

61.jpg

Vinh Moc tunnels - tunnels in which a town lived for 2 years during the war. 3 different depths, 12, 18, and 23 meters deep.

62.jpg

They were not built for 6'2" people - I barely fit in most places.

63.jpg

Hue, just south of the DMZ. We didnt really stay here long, but they had a cool forbidden city look a like in the middle of the city. We got bombed here with some people form Australia, the UK, Laos, and Vietnam. All in all worth the trip...haha.

64.jpg

Leaving Hue for Hoi An, I got out of the bus to puke, and found more awesome scenery.

65.jpg

balllllaaaa - 1 CAD = 16000 dong, 1 USD = 18000 dong. haha.

66.jpg

Went to the beach and met some folks from the Netherlands there. We stopped at this place on the way back to town for some food. We ended up traveling with the guys from the Netherlands for the next month.

67.jpg

Rented motorbikes and road to the Marble Mountains/China Beach/Danang.

68.jpg

Herro.

69.jpg

Being responsible in Vietnam.

70.jpg

Sunset in Hoi An. This place was amazing. We stayed for 5 nights, for tailor made suits for 70 USD each, and pretty much just relaxed. Amazing town.

71.jpg

Hoi An during the day, really cool town as I said. The best thing we ate on the trip was here. Cao Lao - the only place you can get it traditionally made is in Hoi An, if you ever make the trip it is worth going here just to eat it.

72.jpg

And now Nha Trang. Not very many pics from here, as we spent our time Scuba Diving. Really cool town though - assuming you like beaches and driving. We got fully certified to dive for 200 USD. Here it would cost 1000+, plus we got to learn surrounded by coral. I have some pics from the dive I can throw up after if people want - just need to find the CD they are on.

73.jpg

Dalat - city in the Central Highlands. Nice and cool climate, almost like back home. At night it would get down to 20 degrees or so, and the Vietnamese would be wearing winter jackets. I wore shorts all the time and got awesome looks from the locals.

74.jpg

The real reason to come here is to get into the country side. We rented motorbikes for the day and just drove off. View from one of the mountains we rode along.

75.jpg

Bikes next to a coffee plantation. Vietnam is the 2nd largest exported off coffee, and the people that grow it are rich, by vietnamese standards. A crop can be sold for upwards of 40k USD, which to the vietnamese is a fortune.

76.jpg

Stopped at a local village. These tribes spoke a different langauge than the rest of the country, in all there are around 70 minority villages/cultures in Vietnam. These families were dirt poor. Living in a tin shack (you can see in the background) there were 8 people living in it.

77.jpg

Mui Ni - Tiger Prawns. Amazing. There is not much here, it is really just a beach with some guesthouses on it My buddy wanted to go to beaches again so we went.

78.jpg

We did get to rent motorbikes again so it was worth it. In all we rode about 80km and got some cool shots of the area.

79.jpg

More from the bike ride.

80.jpg

Red Sand dunes - we got some kids to take these of us. The kids there were so damn cute, and they had perfect english. We tried riding down the dunes on crazy carpets, but just ended up joking around with the kids for about 2 hours.

81.jpg

Said kids.

82.jpg

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). Reunification palace. Where the North Vietnamese drove out those dirty democratic bastards.

83.jpg

The place was stuck in the 60s, really cool to see if you are into architecture /history.

84.jpg

Phnom Penh - Cambodia. Welcome to povertyville.

85.jpg

S21 - converted school. This was the biggest torture camp during the Pol Pot/Khmer Rogue days. Super depressing. They would bring anyone with any sort of education here to be 'reeducated' aka tortured until they admited anything. Then they were carted off to the killing fields.

86.jpg

They lined the ledges with barb wired so people couldnt jump off and kill themselves.

87.jpg

And the Killing Fields. Once they admitted guilt at S21, they were told all would be better. Then they were thrown in trucks and sent to the Killing Fields to be killed.

88.jpg

The Khmer Rouge used pickaxes and whatever else they could find to bash peoples heads. It was cheaper than using bullets.

89.jpg

Walking around the ground you could find bones and clothing sticking out all over the place.

90.jpg

As I said, anything. They would take small kids, hold them by the legs and beat them against trees until they died. Then throw them in the hole. There was actually a tree that they put a big loud speaker on to play music. It was so that no one could here the screams coming from the area. No one knew they existed until the 80s, after a random farmer dug up some bones.

91.jpg

It started to rain on the way back from the Killing Fields.

92.jpg

And rain some more - the whole city flooded. These kids were swimming in the streets.

93.jpg

Outside our guesthouse, the street was running down towards the river.

94.jpg

Off the poverty filled streets to the amazing Royal Palace. It's very similar to the one found in Bangkok. A shot of the Royal Throne room. There are no interior pictures as Cambodia is very Buddhist and does not allow pictures inside temples. Had to remove our shoes to go inside.

95.jpg

Royal Concert Hall.

96.jpg

More shots of the palace. The blue french house was donated by Napoleon.

97.jpg

Side street in Phnom Penh. It was a city of contrast, Killing Fields to the Palace. Amazing river view next to slums. Really cool place to see.

98.jpg

The heavy hitters of Cambodia. Angkor Temples. This is a shot of Angkor Wat, the worlds largest religious struture. We showed up at 5:30 am for sunrise, it was cloudy as shit though so we didn't get very good shots unfortunately. When this was fully populated, there were 1 million people in the area; at the same time the population of London was 50,000 to give you an idea of how far ahead they were.

99.jpg

Another shot of Angkor Wat.

100.jpg

Entering the temple...

101.jpg

Inner courtyard of Angkor Wat, the scale of this place was crazy. It took us a solid 3 hours to walk around, we easily could have spent a day here just exploring the one temple.

102.jpg

One of the spires in the courtyard...

103.jpg

Detail work on the temples, crazy.

104.jpg

Bayon Temple, inside Angkor Thom - the capital of the Khmer empire. Me taking a cliche tourist shot.

105.jpg

216 faces in all, each tower has one facing each direction. This temple was rushed when built so some of the detail work looks hurried, pretty cool to see the difference between Angkor Wat.

106.jpg

More faces...

107.jpg

Close up of one...

108.jpg

Different temple, my friend trying to climb. The stairs here were ridiculous, some of them were probably 75-80 degree climbs.

109.jpg

Ta Prohm temple. One of my favourites. It has been left in a state similar to what it was found like, so there are overgrown trees and rubble all over the place. Makes you feel like you are really exploring it - it was actually used to film the first Tomb Raider movie.

110.jpg

Big ass tree eating a building.

112.jpg

Fallen rocks all over the place.

113.jpg

Out in Siem Reap, the town close to Angkor. I have no idea who this guy is, he was passed out the bar. I had a tower going on his head at one point, but the bar staff made me take it down.

114.jpg

BANGKOK IS FUN. Into thailand we go. We spent no time here, like I said, just wandered around a bit, bought clothes, and went out a couple times.

115.jpg

View from the bar we went to in Bangkok. Another one of the classy joints, was on the roof of a hotel, cant remember the name of it now.

116.jpg

Thai club - Hollywood. They had no DJ. Just random half naked thai chicks singing club songs (top 40 stuff), it was jokes. They butchered the songs but it was amazing to watch. The pics suck as they wouldn't let us take them inside the club, I had to sneak my camera in and take spy shots from around corners.

117.jpg

Hong Kong! My room was fabulous.

118.jpg

Nanthan Rd in Kowloon, the main shopping street. This city never stopped moving, we got back to or room one night thinking it was 11 pm, it was actually 4 am. There are people out everywhere, all the time.

119.jpg

asshole

120.jpg

More shots of the city, really cool place to explore.

121.jpg

More random shots of the city...

122.jpg

Hong Kong island as viewed from Kowloon - looks cool during the day, just wait for the night shots.

123.jpg

Random shopping mall - they know how to sell in the city. Lights everywhere, always on. AC blasting all day and night, with the doors wide open. The cold air spills onto the street so you run into the store to cool off, then sales people swarm you and try to sell you random shit.

125.jpg

Midlevel escalators. These are a series of escalators that take you up Hong Kong Island. In the morning they go down so everyone can go to work, and at night they go up so people can get home. It took us 20 minutes or so to get to the top.

126.jpg

Hong Kong Island. I dont have any shots of the cars here, but it's really expensive to drive so the only people who have cars are taxi drivers and the super rich. There are a lot of sick sports cars, Bentleys, rolls etc driving around.

127.jpg

View from the top of Victoria Peak. Took a tram up the hill at a ridiculous angle. Some crazy asian engineering.

128.jpg

I AM BATMAN. Bank of China building. Looks really cool, but apparently a lot of the chinese hate it because it breaks all the rules of Feng Shui.

129.jpg

Finally the view of HK island at night. Really cool place overall. Really expensive, but an awesome place to visit. A friend of mine was working there at the time so we met up with him - his view is a bit different as apparently they work a shitload more than us, and are paid a lot less.

Well, that's it. I have about 2500 pictures so I just threw up some, if anyone wants anymore of certain places just ask, I can try to throw them up. I dont have much bandwidth so I am hoping these stay up for now.

ps if anyone cares I'm going to throw a mix together in the next little bit as well - been way to long since I've got to play with my decks/DAW :D

Don't worry she is hiding the dick...:lol:

The picture of me facing the camera has the kid being held full frontal to the camera...baller

49.jpg

what's up with then new best friend thing

:lol:

guess I should explain that

it was a random cave we went to in Yangshuo. The guy is not actually naked - wearing some tight ass underwear though. He knew enough english to teach me how to swear in Chinese and then we just threw mud at each other for a while.

Back