HTC Vive pre-orders - Feb 29th

I think over time games are going be clearly divided into 3 categories. Games where you just sit in a chair, games where you need a small room, and large scale open spaces that would require wireless VR.

The wide open space VR experiences would likely be consumed at places like indoor paintball or laser tag arenas where you put on a headset and backpack and run around plywood "rooms" that match up with the VR world.

Things like Vive where you need a small room, I can see really enjoying something as simple as bridge builder, besieged, some Total War game, or any strategy/building game.

I like the idea of large room gaming - you could play volleyball as a team of orks against a team of elves which isn't gay at all

Actually I just realised you could do that virtually from your own little room anyway, maybe large rooms won't happen

I like the idea of large room gaming - you could play volleyball as a team of orks against a team of elves which isn't gay at all

Actually I just realised you could do that virtually from your own little room anyway, maybe large rooms won't happen

Or you could be the elves and have orcs play with your butt?

Ps4 bundle with everything you need is $499 (minus the ps4). Preorders open next Tuesday

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/18/11260808/playstation-vr-bundle-preorders

The thing I'm worried about with the PSVR is that, with it having to be driven by hardware that's less than half as powerful as the minimum requirements for something like the Vive (and no way to upgrade that), that the end results will be very sub-par. In itself, that doesn't worry me: I don't even own a PS4...

However..

Since it's also likely to be the more "main-stream" offering (cheapest option, on a system targeted at "non-hardcore" users), that that sub-par performance will become what associate with 'VR', and effectively kill it off all over again. There's massive money in AAA titles, and they're mostly developed as cross-platform things these days. If the VR experience on PS4 is that bad that no-one bothers with it, that porting to the more capable, more complete alternatives won't happen for those big titles, and it will remain a fringe tech.

Here's hoping it does well, though.

Someone has to start making games that are worth playing first.

So I spend the $800 on a fancy display peripheral that does all this fancy stuff... but then what? Where are the games that you ultimately fantasize playing with in VR? I don't see any of the major publishers lining up to announce VR offerings from any of their popular franchises... it's all indy games and tech demo's.

All I see are simple "proof-of" tech demo's of the hardware and no serious AAA experiences ready for any of this hardware. A VR paint program? A physics puzzle?

VR is going to be a fad that is dead on arrival without a clear plan for software support from major games built specifically for VR.

Don't get me wrong, the potential of all of this VR-mania is very cool and exciting... but I'm not buying into another BETAMAX/VHS consumer war... or another Nintendo Powerglove until I see games I actually want to play on the table first. And enough of them to justify the price of early adoption of another technology unicorn.

The thing I'm worried about with the PSVR is that, with it having to be driven by hardware that's less than half as powerful as the minimum requirements for something like the Vive (and no way to upgrade that), that the end results will be very sub-par. In itself, that doesn't worry me: I don't even own a PS4...

However..

Since it's also likely to be the more "main-stream" offering (cheapest option, on a system targeted at "non-hardcore" users), that that sub-par performance will become what associate with 'VR', and effectively kill it off all over again. There's massive money in AAA titles, and they're mostly developed as cross-platform things these days. If the VR experience on PS4 is that bad that no-one bothers with it, that porting to the more capable, more complete alternatives won't happen for those big titles, and it will remain a fringe tech.

Here's hoping it does well, though.

I don't see any of the headsets pushing crazy high res VR experiences to mainstream consumers. My computer is just at the rec specs for oculus and there is no way I think it could push the frames to make a clean quality VR experience in a modern AAA title. I struggle to maintain 60 frames in lots of new games, im not going to strap something to my face that starts chopping when shit gets crazy.

We are going to get a lot more stylized design and I think this need for the highest res GPU busting games wont be as much of an issue in VR. I think PSVR will kill it in that space just by having more developers taking creative looks at how to work within the system limitations.

I guess we will see Oculus hit shelves soon so we can see in the real world how these things actually run and what kind of system really is going to be required to push a high end VR experience.

I don't see any of the headsets pushing crazy high res VR experiences to mainstream consumers. My computer is just at the rec specs for oculus and there is no way I think it could push the frames to make a clean quality VR experience in a modern AAA title. I struggle to maintain 60 frames in lots of new games, im not going to strap something to my face that starts chopping when shit gets crazy.

We are going to get a lot more stylized design and I think this need for the highest res GPU busting games wont be as much of an issue in VR. I think PSVR will kill it in that space just by having more developers taking creative looks at how to work within the system limitations.

I guess we will see Oculus hit shelves soon so we can see in the real world how these things actually run and what kind of system really is going to be required to push a high end VR experience.

VR Games are designed for maintaining 90 fps

Someone has to start making games that are worth playing first.

So I spend the $800 on a fancy display peripheral that does all this fancy stuff... but then what? Where are the games that you ultimately fantasize playing with in VR? I don't see any of the major publishers lining up to announce VR offerings from any of their popular franchises... it's all indy games and tech demo's.

All I see are simple "proof-of" tech demo's of the hardware and no serious AAA experiences ready for any of this hardware. A VR paint program? A physics puzzle?

VR is going to be a fad that is dead on arrival without a clear plan for software support from major games built specifically for VR.

Don't get me wrong, the potential of all of this VR-mania is very cool and exciting... but I'm not buying into another BETAMAX/VHS consumer war... or another Nintendo Powerglove until I see games I actually want to play on the table first. And enough of them to justify the price of early adoption of another technology unicorn.

It's all experimental at this point, the big unknown is how many issues will people have on the physical side of VR let alone the technical ones.

It's going to remain a niche market for the foreseeable future. Even though the PSVR most likely offers an experience just slightly above google cardboard / samsung gear VR it probably has the greatest chance of success because developers can target a known hardware platform clear through to the performance of the system driving it.

It's all experimental at this point, the big unknown is how many issues will people have on the physical side of VR let alone the technical ones.

the-lawnmower-man-1992.jpg

VR Games are designed for maintaining 90 fps

They all will be of course, so none of them will be graphically impressive (or if they are they will lack dynamics). This is true for all the headsets and I really don't think the jump from PSVR to Oculus will look $1000 better.

They all will be of course, so none of them will be graphically impressive (or if they are they will lack dynamics). This is true for all the headsets and I really don't think the jump from PSVR to Oculus will look $1000 better.

Did you not watch the video you just quoted? Those graphics are pretty damn impressive.

Back