California is eager to restrict water and gas usage...

CaliforniaR0902151mp206.jpg

CaliforniaR0902151mp217.jpg

this is a man who loves life

those veggie quesos looked raunchy as all hell tho :sick:

Even if CA had smart people in government, the politics would still be messed up because having people vote on props is fucking stupid and we also give more to the federal government than we get back to support the inferior states.

California Farmers Are Watering Their Crops With Oil Wastewater, And No One Knows What's In It | ThinkProgress

Tests conducted by Water Defense, an environmental group founded by actor Mark Ruffalo in 2010, have found high levels of acetone and methylene chloride — compounds that can be toxic to humans — in wastewater from Chevron used for irrigation purposes. The tests also found the presence of oil, which is supposed to be removed from the wastewater during recycling.

“All these chemicals of concern are flowing in the irrigation canal,” Scott Smith, chief scientist for Water Defense, told ThinkProgress. “If you were a gas station and were spilling these kinds of chemicals into the water, you would be shut down and fined.”

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2015/08/organic-crops-can-be-irrigated-fracking-wastewater

As I reported last month, oil companies last year supplied half the water that went to the 45,000 acres of farmland in Kern County's Cawelo Water District, farmland that is owned, in part, by Sunview, a company that sells certified organic raisins and grapes. Food watchdog groups are concerned that the state hasn't required oil companies to disclose all the chemicals they use in oil drilling and fracking operations, much less set safety limits for all those chemicals in irrigation water.

Last edited:
Living in Kern County, that article doesn't surprise me in the least bit. With putting in my pool I am putting in a production garden and some other stuff.

can we solve all our water problems with shade balls?

cause they look pretty cool flying down a ramp

it takes 35,000 shade balls to cover the water required to make a gallon of almond juice

well fuck me
I've been asking myself basicly
the same ? as absent
they're building all kinds of shit out here
while demanding we take showers with thimbles
wtf
fix water problem
we have a whole ocean to use

my real difference with absent is
i would divide my world into intelligent and non-intelligent

80% of the amount allocated to humans. 50% of the overall water is actually allocated to the environment. Farmers' use 40% of the overall water. The 50% number is a bit skewed too since humans use it too in terms of recreation and some businesses. Also that water is supposed to recharge ground aquifers. The major issues is this idea of senior and junior water rights. Until that changes CA is going to have a tough time balancing its water rights.

yeah, that's the bullshit the farmers groups keep spouting in an attempt to make it sound like they're not really the problem.

80% of developed water goes to agriculture. 50% of the water in the state is developed for human consumption. (1) you can't develop 100% of the water in the state and (2) if you did there would be no water in lakes, rivers, streams, etc.

but yeah, the big issue is water rights in the state which are completely fucked up and the fact that up until very recently there were no regulations regarding the use of groundwater...which is why some areas of the central valley have sunk 2 feet.

So remember this when the farmers start complaining about being starved for water: 80% of the water is used by agriculture but they represent less than 2% of the state economy. They are not paying market rate for water. They're a small part of the overall economy. And they're also overwhelmingly conservative republicans that don't want to pay fair market rate for water and overall represent a drain on california resources.

2014-10-30-307PM2-POOLE_Page_04.jpg

all us urban users can cut back, but that's not the solution because we're not the major users.

Back