say im poor as shit, but i want to batch cook something relativly healthy

eating healthy is cheap as hell if you're serious about it

i recommend canned goods and whole grains
- lima beans (yuck), garbanzo beans (yuck), black beans (yum), farva beans (yum), refried beans (yum)
- sardines (yum), tuna (yum)
- peas (yuck), beets (yuck), corn (yum)
- oatmeal (yum), shredded wheat cereal (yuck)
etc.

all of the above are cheap and healthy

I read canned / frozen veggies lack enzymes and lose other vitamins and minerals during the cooking process. Fresh fruits and veggies that provide real health benefits are expensive. Maybe a local farmer's market will help with the prices

Suck up your pride a bit and ask your parents to buy you a crock pot. You're asking for help, but at least you're not asking for cash and you're asking for something to be more responsible. Then you can make up big batches of soup, chili, stew etc for reasonably cheap.

eating healthy is cheap as hell if you're serious about it

i recommend canned goods and whole grains
- lima beans (yuck), garbanzo beans (yuck), black beans (yum), farva beans (yum), refried beans (yum)
- sardines (yum), tuna (yum)
- peas (yuck), beets (yuck), corn (yum)
- oatmeal (yum), shredded wheat cereal (yuck)
etc.

all of the above are cheap and healthy
farvaj.jpg

Chicken + Rice

Make the chicken in advance, and then just heat it and if you can just make enuogh rice for 2 days or so and just keep it warmed. Or you can make a fresh batch each day.

Go ahead and scramble an egg and add it if you'd like.

whole grains + stock + any number of veggie additions

lentils / barley / brown rice + any number of exotic options.

If you don't mind finding a good asian store and have a bigass pot and a stove, you can make Pho that will last you for a week easily. Just get the broth boilign when you add the noodles and you don't even have to prep them seperately. Depending on the meat you buy there is a bit of prep work but it's really pretty easy.

Last edited:
eating really healthy is actually really really cheap.

Beans\lentils\brown rice\whole chickens\whole vegetables

Convenience is what's expensive.

1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatos
1 can tomato sauce
1 can jalapenos
package of ground turkey
packet of taco seasoning

cook together=easy, healthy chili that will last you a few days

or

make raman with chicken broth instead of water, and crack an egg in it. Easy and good. Can also add frozen veggies. I also ad Ponzu sauce

Last edited:
You're looking at the problem the wrong way. You don't need to eat cheaper, you need more money. I'd recommend dealing drugs or selling blood. Or get creative and combine the 2. Mix your blood with cocaine and claim it's vampire blood, it'll start a whole new craze.

you can get a pound of pasta for about a dollar and eat that for a couple of days. Maybe add sliced chicken or something if you can afford it?

theres always hot dogs and beans. chili and rice. these are better than top ramen and they'll last a few days.

lots of good options here. being a college student im also getting into "real" cooking for the first time. just got back and got some black beans, lentils, brown rice, pasta + sauce (on sale!!), fresh brocolli (for use in pasta), apples & carrots (as snacks), two loafs of bread on sale. 6 cans of tuna*, and oatmeal for breakfast.

i've def got enough food for a week, spent $40. in NYC thats kind of crazy. feel like im still missing protien, are the beans enough?? im gonna get some eggs (im used to being spoiled and buying cage-free organic blah blah blah eggs which are super expensive).

* ps about tuna: can you get mercury poison from canned tuna if you eat too much, or is that only sushi?

brown rice + chicken breast + spinach

obviously cook the brown rice

chicken breast, put about 3-4 in a pan, preheat oven to 375, stick it in there for 40 minutes. there's your food for the next 2-3 days. mix up the seasonings (make one cajun style, one with bbq rub ,etc)

boil water in a pot, dump in spinach, remove immediately when water goes back to a boil. put in a little salt.

eat an apple and an orange or tangerine a day, drink a glass of milk

carry around a water bottle and refill it with water to drink throughout the day instead of snacking

there's your healthy diet on the cheap

Back