My take on the iPad

good post will read again.

more on your point, like the iphone though the ipad will kick off a slew of better devices that are already on the horizon.

First of all, it can't fit in your pocket, which means you are forced to carry it in a bag, pouch, or backpack like a laptop. Second, it has no built in stand, which means that you will either buy a stand or you will always have it set in your lap or on a table, like a laptop. Third, the keyboard is an on-screen version of a standard qwerty-keyboard. And as has been proven by over a century's worth of consumer testing, the best way to type on a qwerty-keyboard is with your fingers on the home row. This means that, in order to type quickly and comfortably, you're left laying the thing flat on a table or in your lap, and hunching over it to see what you are typing, unlike a laptop. I could go on and on, this thing is just that impractical.

On the other hand, a laptop of comparable price will do everything the iPad can do and will be able to do many things it can't such as multitask, take pictures with a built-in webcam, and support flash material. It will have a physical keyboard, allowing for maximum comfort while watching videos, reading, talking to friends, or typing up things like long e-mails and school papers. It will be totally customizable, with no gatekeeper telling developers and users what they can and can not do. All of this, and it will be just as portable as the iPad.

your arguments don't make any sense. you're rambling about how you need a bag or a case for it like you would a laptop, but then you say buy a laptop. so, if you're getting either device you'll need a case. therefore, you can't list is as a downside of the iPad.

you can use use a bluetooth keyboard or the iPad keyboard dock if you're going to be typing papers (not what the iPad was designed for anyway.) if you were going to type a a lot of shit on it, you'd obviously have one of these devices and not use the on screen keyboard. you're comparing it to a laptop for some reason when it's not designed to be a laptop or to replace a laptop. no one would deny that a laptop can do more than the iPad.
See, what Apple didn't realize, and what a million unfortunate consumers will eventually realize (a huge portion of which will suppress it until it creates a tumor), is that the iPhone wasn't revolutionary just because of what it could do. It was revolutionary because when you were done using it, you put it away in your pocket, where your fat, clumsy flip phone used to go. Take that away, and your left with a computer that belongs on the shelves of a Toys R' Us, carrying the name "My First Computer".

I'm not sure if you realize the iPod Touch exists, but it does....and it fits in your pocket....which isn't what this was designed for.

I have my desktop for office work and torrenting and my iPad for lounging around.

I like it. I'll love it when I jailbreak it and can run multiple apps.

HOPEFULLY it will create a bunch of previous fanbois that will lose faith in apple's shitty products
.. or at least wake up

I have my desktop for office work and torrenting and my iPad for lounging around.

I like it. I'll love it when I jailbreak it and can run multiple apps.

Yeah it's not really a replacement for anything.

I'd buy one for the same reason... maybe, eventually. Used, for $200.

i actually think it'd be nice to have

i wouldn't use it to type, i'd use it to browse or watch movies and shit

your arguments don't make any sense. you're rambling about how you need a bag or a case for it like you would a laptop, but then you say buy a laptop. so, if you're getting either device you'll need a case. therefore, you can't list is as a downside of the iPad.
... :huh:

The point is that if it has to be carried around like a laptop, then it has no advantage over a laptop as far as portability is concerned. And considering the fact that many laptops, capable of so much more than the iPad, come in at or under the iPad's price point, means that they are a superior choice.

you can use use a bluetooth keyboard or the iPad keyboard dock if you're going to be typing papers (not what the iPad was designed for anyway.) if you were going to type a a lot of shit on it, you'd obviously have one of these devices and not use the on screen keyboard. you're comparing it to a laptop for some reason when it's not designed to be a laptop or to replace a laptop. no one would deny that a laptop can do more than the iPad.
So your argument is this:

iPads are not meant to replace laptops. They are just a device that costs as much as a decent laptop while doing far less than a laptop that also doesn't solve any of the issues that go along with owning a laptop, such as portability and functionality.

Wow! What a great product! :rolleyes:

i think apple fanboys think too highly of it and anti-apple fanboys think too hard about it

it's like a really convenient TV or browser or book

it's not supposed to cure cancer

i'd like to point out i own zero apple products

i actually think it'd be nice to have

i wouldn't use it to type, i'd use it to browse or watch movies and shit

i don't get how its more convenient than a clamshell netbook or laptop that you can rest in your lap and adjust the screen so that its comfortable to view without bending your neck.

the ipad is a slate that forces you to hold up or rest on a surface and flex your neck down to look at. how is it more comfortable watching a movie on?

Can you guys explain WHY you have such rage at apple?

Even if their products aren't what I'm looking for, I can admit they have appeal.

The same appeal my tablet/laptop had (when it worked).

i don't get how its more convenient than a clamshell netbook or laptop that you can rest in your lap and adjust the screen so that its comfortable to view without bending your neck.

the ipad is a slate that forces you to hold up or rest on a surface and flex your neck down to look at. how is it more comfortable watching a movie on?

I could see myself using it while taking a shit, or while lying on the couch or lounging in bed... it's less cumbersome than a laptop. It also doesn't give off heat, and you don't need to have it plugged in cuz the battery will last 10 hours easily.

Go use one, it feels like you're holding the application in your hand as opposed to a device running an application. That's kinda the idea of this whole slate thing.

if you're on the bus or chilling at a friends house on a sofa u don't see how it would be much lighter and easier to carry around or watch on?

how much effort does it take to hold something up with ur hand on it

you're saying it's easier to hold up an ipad for 2 hours while you watch a movie instead of sitting back with a laptop and a vertically propped screen angled correctly?

A netbook would actually be more cumbersome because it's further away from your eyes by default. You have to rest it on something, as opposed to a slate which you can just hold up anywhere.

And its 1.5lbs, stop being little bitches.

you're saying it's easier to hold up an ipad for 2 hours while you watch a movie instead of sitting back with a laptop and a vertically propped screen angled correctly?

i'd say its prob nicer to use a laptop if u have nowhere to go (like in a hotel room) for like 4 hours

but if ur on a bus or just watching something quick to burn time i'd rather have an ipad. and if i'm browsing between classes or something again i'd rather have an ipad than a laptop

but i really don't care enough either way, i don't have an ipad and don't plan on getting one, so u can keep trying to bring apple down thru the internet

and u obviously have never read a book if u think it takes any effort to rest ur hand on top of the slate to keep it up

The point is that if it has to be carried around like a laptop, then it has no advantage over a laptop as far as portability is concerned. And considering the fact that many laptops, capable of so much more than the iPad, come in at or under the iPad's price point, means that they are a superior choice.

longer battery life. lighter. no waiting for it to start up. better functionality as an e-reader. pussy magnet.

So your argument is this:

iPads are not meant to replace laptops. They are just a device that costs as much as a decent laptop while doing far less than a laptop that also doesn't solve any of the issues that go along with owning a laptop, such as portability and functionality.

Wow! What a great product! :rolleyes:

if you have to choose one or the other and the primary use is for work, then obviously you'd get a laptop. however, as a media consumption device the iPad is the obvious choice. for the record, you just said two issues with laptops are portability and functionality. i don't even know how i'm supposed to respond to that.

You're saying its easier to walk down the street with a laptop reading a newspaper? You're saying its easier to lug a laptop around a subway to listen to music or watch a downloaded tv show?

See how easy and stupid it is to make up scenarios where each device has downfalls? Not to mention you're not arguing against the product, you're arguing against the platform. Be less stupid, stupid!

Back