Ghostbusters 3

Well, the thing is that Ghostbusters 2016 made $230M at the box office while being controversial and objectively a terrible movie. It was a huge flop considering it's budget and marketing costs, but that gives them a baseline number for what a Ghostbusters movie could make if pointed at the right demographics with the right director/writer/cast. If you spend less than $100M on it, you likely hit at least the same $230M. That would eat into the losses from 2016.

all they need is the original cast training 4 new ghostbusters. heck make one of them margot robbie and make the other 3 guys super uncomfortable around her

ok i'll be honest I just want to see margot robbie in every film

Well, the thing is that Ghostbusters 2016 made $230M at the box office while being controversial and objectively a terrible movie. It was a huge flop considering it's budget and marketing costs, but that gives them a baseline number for what a Ghostbusters movie could make if pointed at the right demographics with the right director/writer/cast. If you spend less than $100M on it, you likely hit at least the same $230M. That would eat into the losses from 2016.

unless you did major damage to the brand in recent memory. that's where the terrible movie part hurts - not in box office, but in *sequel* box office. trailer/buzz quality is mostly what matters in immediate return.

also china hates ghosts and any movies at this scale needs china. manbusters did worse internationally than it did here, which is a good sign that the quality didn't matter.

i would not like to be in charge of this ad campaign. this needs to be like a straight-to-netflix movie.

unless you did major damage to the brand in recent memory. that's where the terrible movie part hurts - not in box office, but in *sequel* box office. trailer/buzz quality is mostly what matters in immediate return.

also china hates ghosts and any movies at this scale needs china. manbusters did worse internationally than it did here, which is a good sign that the quality didn't matter.

i would not like to be in charge of this ad campaign. this needs to be like a straight-to-netflix movie.

Very true. That's why I'd say keep it small. Cast some relative unknowns on the cheap and make it with more practical effects. You don't need massive CGI fests. You could get away with 3 ghost busting scenes including the finale and a montage just like the original. You could easily make the film for under 50M and you don't have to release it over the Summer where it will compete with tentpoles.

i just don't see current hollywood being forward thinking enough to make a modest movie JUST to revitalize the brand. it needs to make 3 billion too. it's almost like it's too sensible, you know?

i really do think a tv show or netflix movie would be better, maybe a "mature cartoon" like castlevania, since people seem to love that and it's the same demographic. ghostbusters badly needs something of quality under its belt that isn't two generations old.

Well Sony in general is desperate for hits. Outside of Spiderman properties, it's been nothing but flops for them.

Sony really wants you to know it's not a tech company

All they did at CES was marketing. When they weren't talking about how much money they've made they were dragging out big name movie/music people. They seem pretty desperate lately. :weird:

Spider-Man, The Chainsmokers, James Cameron and Pharrell Williams.

That's most of what I remember from Sony's press event at CES last night. Despite announcing new (giant!) TVs, headphones with Alexa and a wireless turntable, its 45-minute media briefing rarely touched on any new products.

When Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida stepped on stage, he laid out that he planned to "shift our gears" and showcase the company's involvement in more creative endeavors. That meant fewer product flourishes and plenty of moments where Sony simply sang its own praises. At a show famed for hardware announcements, the company sidelined its own news.

This didn't come from nowhere. In recent years, Sony's CES showcase has distanced itself from comparable electronics companies, preferring to trumpet its strengths in creative fields like gaming, movies and its huge catalogue of musical artists. The big tech reveals happen outside major shows now. Remember: Sony cancelled its plans for the E3 gaming show this year.

Speaking of, the company lead with the latest PS4 sales figures, adding millions more consoles over the holidays and approaching 100 million in unit sales globally. This was followed by a sizzle reel of its best games and the major titles expected in the next 12 months, including Last of Us: Part II and Ghost of Tsushima, among others. The CEO gave a passing nod to Sony's Alpha camera series, but then swiftly passed the baton to Sony Pictures head Tom Rothman, who opened by saying that Sony's vision is to be a creative entertainment company.

While Rothman had plenty of major flicks to tease (like Jumanji and Men In Black sequels), he went straight to the Golden Globe-winning, hugely popular Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse. (Not that I blame him.)

That, however, turned into 15 minutes of Sony's Consumer Electronics Show media briefing. There was a glimpse of the company's 2019 TVs, but it in a tangential mention, comparing the towering monoliths to the professional-grade OLED monitors used by Sony Pictures in the film making process.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the film-making duo behind the hit Spidey animation, talked about the creative process and how they made the feature look like more than just another CGI movie, but the connection to the company was a weak one. Interesting, yes, but what is Sony trying to tell us?

Sony Music was up next, with no shortage of famous names to drop. First it was the Chainsmokers, and their involvement in promoting VR headset, and then Pharrell Williams suddenly appeared on stage, the biggest name to grace a major CES 2019 press conference so far.

Unfortunately, he stumbled several times over prepared remarks on the teleprompter. The major takeaways seemed to be that he loves the Sony Aibo, and that he has one. I think that was the biggest news from the stage.

The reality is that the company's profits have consistently been buoyed by its gaming segment, while Sony Pictures saw profits triple in the last quarter — and that was before Into The Spider-Verse came out. Sony Music, having completed its acquisition of EMI Music is also in a position of strength.

It could have been worse. Sony's little-known financial services make almost as much revenue as PlayStation. The company fortunately realized that it didn't pack the razzle-dazzle necessary for a press event in the middle of Vegas.

Leslie Jones Slams New ‘Ghostbusters’ As ‘Something Trump Would Do’ | HuffPost

Comedian Leslie Jones has blasted plans for a new “Ghostbusters” movie, one that would ignore the franchise’s female-centric 2016 iteration, as “a dick move.”

50042ca8-37be-4bd2-968e-46e327e6e2b0.png

b4197e11-80fa-42a7-a6e6-ea6429904f93.png

all they need is the original cast training 4 new ghostbusters. heck make one of them margot robbie and make the other 3 guys super uncomfortable around her

ok i'll be honest I just want to see margot robbie in every film
Excellent premise. I'd watch.

Nevermind that Girl Ghostbusters was a box office flop and a PR nightmare.

Leslie Jones is just pissed she will not be getting a paycheck this time around.

What's that Ms Jones? <TRUMP> You're Fired!

I hope your "Angry Birds The Movie 2" contract included provisions for royalties and merchandising...

Leslie Jones should feel more upset about an 'all female cast' only existing as a marketing ploy - one that wasn't even successful. As well as the fact that she couldn't even see it for what it was.

She talks as if she and her cast mates were handed a movie franchise and made it great by way of their 'talent'.

Maybe people would value you as a comedienne if you were funny.

A better response would be "I'm disappointed in the direction they appear to be choosing to go, but I understand that Hollywood is first and foremost a business. If they'd like to include me in any capacity, I'd be on board."

Back