New Rogue - Thoughts?

ragingbunny

Veteran X
Howdy folks, just started playing again, hit 80 like 4 weeks ago(?), been reading EJ, but it's hard to find threads on gear and gems/enchants.

I use Shadowpanther.net but I don't know how reliable it is, so I figured I'd come ask here.

I leveled as combat, was combat until I got the two daggers in ToC25 that you see. I've gone Mutilate and see that i do a lot more dmg. Just curious what you guys think about my gems/enchants and what you would change.
The gear is what I've gotten to drop (hence 2 pvp pieces) and I go by the Shadow panther list. Also, I can't get the spreadsheet by Adriana to work. So yea.

Thanks.:wave:

The World of Warcraft Armory - Sjuk @ Silver Hand - Profile

Last edited:
I'm a Mage so I'm not 100% sure on this but doesn't Agility compute into attack power anyways?

I'd suggest downloading a program called Rawr. It's great for showing you real time DPS updates on gear. For instance it'll show you an item... your Scourge Shoulders for example and show you the DPS that item will give you based on all possible gem socketings. Be aware though that it will change as your gear changes. If you lose a little bit of hit rating due to a gear upgrade, Rawr will tell you that by adding a +hit gem it will give you more DPS than adding a DPS gem like attack power or agility. Hell i don't even know if they MAKE agility gems. But that program will show you exactly what to do to maximize your DPS with the gear you have and with possible upgrades you tell it you could get.

yea, AP is 1.1, Agil is 1

I will be dropping Skinning once I have enough gold to lvling up JCing.

Shouldn't I want hit until 8%? - edit: im at 9%.

Last edited:
you have a 1.4 in your MH, and 1.8 in OH

Doesn't every rogue spec want that the other way around?

Listen to Pessi or Pure. Not the other wannabes replying in this thread.

Or law.

When it comes to like hardcore theorycrafting, yeah pessi is the most knowledgeable, but basic rogue pickup and play is lol easy, almost as easy as being a mage

Pessi - So gem crit before hit?
God no. Hit > Crit for Mut and Combat.

Also, Rawr is complete shit for Rogues. Use Aldriana's spreadsheet, or iDPS, or Mavanas' simsheet.

1.4 MH, 1.8 OH is correct if they are the same tier (I didn't look). Deadly on fast, Instant on slow.

You need at least 237 Hit Rating as Horde to be spellhit capped in a balanced raid.

quick q, for pve, do rogues use rupture at all for hfb or is it just venom spam? Also, do you wait for 4/5 pt venoms, or just spam it regardless?

quick q, for pve, do rogues use rupture at all for hfb or is it just venom spam? Also, do you wait for 4/5 pt venoms, or just spam it regardless?

Only time I ever use Rupture is if I am in a bizarre situation with no other bleed-effect-capable players in my run. Generally just need garrote off the start and you're off to the races, piggybacking off druids/warrs.

Pessi it's not better to keep the envenom buff up overtop of 4/5 stacks anymore? I was always hitting 3/4 stacks usually because otherwise I love the envenom buff.

Only time I ever use Rupture is if I am in a bizarre situation with no other bleed-effect-capable players in my run. Generally just need garrote off the start and you're off to the races, piggybacking off druids/warrs.

Pessi it's not better to keep the envenom buff up overtop of 4/5 stacks anymore? I was always hitting 3/4 stacks usually because otherwise I love the envenom buff.

yea, i use a 1cp rupture just to get hfb up.

Pessi: sorry I don't understand the "100 - dodge - miss - 22.2" so is that euqvalent to the EJ crit cap explanation? Since my crit % is 49.72 + 9.72% hit + 4% to be dodge = less than 76% therefore im not crit capped?

Last edited:
yea, i use a 1cp rupture just to get hfb up.

Pessi: sorry I don't understand the "100 - dodge - miss - 22.2" so is that euqvalent to the EJ crit cap explanation? Since my crit % is 49.72 + 9.72% hit + 4% to be dodge = less than 76% therefore im not crit capped?
If you have 9.72 hit, you have 17.28% miss.

100 - 4 - 17.28 - 22.2 = 56.52, which is > 49.72
That's buffed tooltip crit though, so you're probably pretty close to it.

Back