News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

dunce_boy said:
I like it Yak...looks great....lot of style to it.
Those pics dont look like they do it justice though...up the jpg quality on your next pimp. Hope you finish it up, it defently has a lot of potential.

Oh, and Breadman, just so you know, Vicelord only did a recolor of Trinity's picture as a suggestion to him....its still Trin's skin. hehe :)

yup what he said ^

Yak, definitely don't abandon that. Whether it wins or not, it can be used as a good skin later. I'd pimp that suit, along with some other people I'm sure.

Phoe13.jpg

Took me 30 mins to put together. Specular maps were added, hell I didn't even know we could add those!

Yea it is :)

Greyscale map on a plane with some nice textures thrown on... can't be any easier

Last edited:
Whoa, that's awsome peach.

The only suggestion from me is turning the dark purple into a dark gold or dark orange. Other than that, sweet skin.

still dont have any clue how to make the lum mappings on the skin, can anyone explain those?

my wip "engineer" kinda dude, opinions?

wip.jpg

Last edited:
Heres my first attempt (without bump mapping)
My 3ds isnt working at the moment, so I got my friend to do it... Guess he found this funny...

I havnt ever skinned before. Basically this is a clan skin and I wont be entering it, havnt changed too much yet, made it alot more battlescared and stuff. Its pretty hard to see in this crappy paint rendered jpg shit. I also havnt started on the helmet. I'm gonna try to use a t2 bot type visor.
Render.JPG

Render2.JPG

Render3.JPG

Render4.JPG

Mimelim said:
still dont have any clue how to make the lum mappings on the skin, can anyone explain those?

my wip "engineer" kinda dude, opinions?

wip.jpg
Looks pretty good to me.

For lum mapping, you just make a new map with black for all the areas you dont want to glow, and the white areas for the areas you want to glow, grays will glow less or more depending on how close to white or black they are. In 3DS Max, just apply the map to the body's self illum in the material editor.

thnx but it doesnt work for me, made a whole black map with the area i wanted a bit white/grey but it doesnt light up when i render it

Mimelim said:
thnx but it doesnt work for me, made a whole black map with the area i wanted a bit white/grey but it doesnt light up when i render it

It wont. THe only time it will glow is ingame with the shaders from the engine.

Yak of Doom said:
*bows to Dunce Boy*

Amazing work man, that is just wonderful.

MY set never seems to get any closer to being done and I have redone just about everything on it 2-3 times at least. Plus now that I see the detail Dunce coaxed out of his I feel like ditching it all over again :)

1111.jpg

1112.jpg

I really like this.

Back