News: T:V Box Art Finalized

Status
Not open for further replies.
first things first, logroller, you're probably right, but if I was developing a game, the least I would do (and probably one of the the only things) is let the informed fans have a say of what the boxart should be. Makes me think less, instead of paying someone to design something that does not appeal to the public.

Lets see the numbers here:

1 artist dude's version of the box with limited perception or second opinions.

vs.

A few dozen people's versions of the box, all to be praised by one another by the general public who don't like the first box.

Boom bada bang.

Also... last I heard, didn't VUG asborb Irrational into itself? So the two companies are one in the same?

The white background on the box might work if the box has a front panel that folds out to show more information, similiar to what NWN and UT2k4 does. If that was to be done, and the back of the game showed a lot of neat stuff and was informational, then I think the box art I could care less about.

My two cents right there.

I feel impelled to go to a local staples of Walmart and just stand in a corner of the PC game department, just observing what pedestrians look at when they pick up a game and examine it... and try to get an idea of what goes through their head when they see it.

Personally if the front cover does not intrigue me (like the Planetside cover) I will look at the back, and the sleeve if it has one. In fact, usually I'm more intrigued of what the back of the box says than the front.

So:

-Add one of those sleeve things on the front.
-Showoff the game on the back.
-Examine what the general public looks at when they pick up a game box.
-As a developer, use the fanbase as a tool. They sometimes can think up more popular ideas than artists you offer pay. (No offense to anyone in Irrational, I hope)

Shoddy said:
Maybe it's just that picture, but the Doom 3 one looks stinky to me.

I agree. The difference is, Doom III has generated a lot of hype for itself, and casual gamers will still pick it up, despite the cover. Tribes Vengeance has a lot of ground to gain.

kanarde said:
If you had read my entire post...

I like the white box. I love it. Its great. It stands out. Fucking Awsome.

BUT... the game art that 20 people have have replaced that is on the white box sucks ass.

So once again, keep the white box, and the layout, but change the bloody game art.
ahh...i was slightly confused :eek:

kanarde said:
I don't suppose you (or someone) could replace the "offical" T:V box w/ some of the ones that have been posted in that picture... I'm curious to see how they look against D3 and HL2.

Also, Colosus, what do YOU think of the box?
I'm not a huge fan of it, but I also don't hold a master's degree in Marketing nor fully understand the science behind design. I'll leave it to those put in charge. You know, the ones that get paid to make these decisions.

If that's the box they want, so be it. I'm going to buy it no matter what the box looks like and I'm going to recommend the GAME to my friends because that's what they are going to playing.

Sure, we used to play with boxes when we were little kids, but they were much larger and made cool forts. I'm too fat to fit inside a Tribes: Vengeance box.

Colosus said:
I'm not a huge fan of it, but I also don't hold a master's degree in Marketing nor fully understand the science behind design. I'll leave it to those put in charge. You know, the ones that get paid to make these decisions.

I'm not to keen on simply trusting those in charge to make the right decisions on the philosophy that, "Hey, if they have jobs, they must know what they're talking about, right?"

Not to beat an already well tenderized horse, but I think Tribes 2 is proof that those in charge don't always make the best decisions.

It's fine not to trust them. They aren't making decisions on national security or how to best spend your tax dollars. They are an entertainment industry. Get over it.

The science of marketing is obviously:

1) spend 30 minutes making your ad
2) release it with the dictation that it will not change
3) when everyone points out it sucks, point to your college degree
4) convince several thousand people that even though they hate it, it's a brilliant marketing tool
5) get idiots to support you, since they don't have a will of their own

6) misspell

Last edited:
Yes, I'm such an idiot with no will of my own because I don't care that the box looks ugly. NONE OF THE TRIBES BOXES HAVE LOOKED GOOD. Get over it already. Jesus.

Yeah, we all know that the previous two Tribes games dominated the industry despite having shitty boxes. It's not a problem at all, guys - stick to what's proven to work!

Colosus said:
Yes, I'm such an idiot with no will of my own because I don't care that the box looks ugly. NONE OF THE TRIBES BOXES HAVE LOOKED GOOD. Get over it already. Jesus.

Maybe it's time for a change from that unfortunate trend.

OMFG. There is so much more to rally against than a T:V box that doesn't meet your expectations. Use your powers for good, not idiocy.

7) screw the profits using poor marketing and thus wasting all the time IGA spent listening to us over a shity looking box

(even tho it draws attention it kills that attention shortly with the actual "ART" if you could call it that)

That'll be one of Tribes' little "things" from now on: crappy boxes.

Future request for the next Tribes: ensure the box is ugly, since the other ones have been as well. This must not change. In fact, it's impossible to change. People go to college to learn how to make these things. What do you, the consumer, know about your likes and dislikes?

*scoff*

Consumers...

Colosus said:

If that's the box they want, so be it. I'm going to buy it no matter what the box looks like and I'm going to recommend the GAME to my friends because that's what they are going to playing.

Sure, we used to play with boxes when we were little kids, but they were much larger and made cool forts. I'm too fat to fit inside a Tribes: Vengeance box.

Well, I don't have a degree in marketing either, but as a gamer I can honestly say that the game, from looking at the box, doesn't look fun. It doens't look like it will be fun to look at or or play. But thats just my impression.

I think people (including my self) are seeing the sucktastic box as a sign, or omen. I think tw is scared that this will turn into another t2, so any little think that is wrong scares us.

But anyway, I'm fucking excited about T:V (sucktastic box or not) and I will also be buying it (and recommending it to friends... hell, I'm already preaching about it to anyone who will listen and I haven't even played it yet...).

It's like talking to a 4 year old that wants a piece of candy. I give up. Keep bumping the thread so it can continue to be ignored. I'm done.

Colosus said:
OMFG. There is so much more to rally against than a T:V box that doesn't meet your expectations. Use your powers for good, not idiocy.

C'mon now. This is Tribes talk. Sure, there are plenty of things going on in the world right now, but at this moment, right here, we're talking about the subject this forum exists for.

Colosus said:

For a game that most people have only remotely heard of and fewer play outside the community.. if they can't get past the box.. they arn't going to buy it. It is a _real_ issue for so many people in these forums because they know that it will determine the future of this francise and the size of the tribes comunity for the future.

kanarde said:
Well, I don't have a degree in marketing either, but as a gamer I can honestly say that the game, from looking at the box, doesn't look fun. It doens't look like it will be fun to look at or or play. But thats just my impression.

I think people (including my self) are seeing the sucktastic box as a sign, or omen. I think tw is scared that this will turn into another t2, so any little think that is wrong scares us.

But anyway, I'm fucking excited about T:V (sucktastic box or not) and I will also be buying it (and recommending it to friends... hell, I'm already preaching about it to anyone who will listen and I haven't even played it yet...).
Colosus said:
It's like talking to a 4 year old that wants a piece of candy. I give up. Keep bumping the thread so it can continue to be ignored. I'm done.

:confused: How in the hell did my nice, civil post cause such a harsh response? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back