[OFFICIAL] College Basketball 2009

if you underperformed in college you wouldnt get drafted in the first round.

the nba drafts on potential more often than production, particularly for freshman or sophomore

hence why GT will probably have two first round picks this season, much like they had two first round picks a couple seasons ago w/ young and crittendon

what pac 10 players underperformed in college and then went high in the draft?

they were all producers. except holiday who never would've went high if westbrook didn't start tearing shit up.

cancer is an nba guy, he doesn't realize that success in the NCAA doesn't translate into the NBA game, and lack of success in the NCAA game doesnt mean one can't be successful in the NBA

also my original comment was that teams in a smallish league (10 teams vs. 11,12,12,12,16) with a large amount of nba talent (doesn't necessarily correlate, but if he wants to use it as a performance measurement to arrive at 'dominance') should have performed better... thus the pac10 underperformed compared to all their talent.

they were all producers. except holiday who never would've went high if westbrook didn't start tearing shit up.

Nick Young
Gabe Pruitt
Marcus Williams

most would argue mayo (was supposed to be Rose/Wall-esque)
Robin Lopez is a joke (16th overall for a stanford roll player)

Hawes

DeRozen / Gibson were probably also underperformers... those USC teams despite the violations and amount of talent made a sweet sixteen, lost in r32 and r64 the other years

Can we stop talking about the shitty NBA, it's almost conference tourny time. K-State vs Kansas should be entertaining tonight.

cancer is an nba guy, he doesn't realize that success in the NCAA doesn't translate into the NBA game, and lack of success in the NCAA game doesnt mean one can't be successful in the NBA

also my original comment was that teams in a smallish league (10 teams vs. 11,12,12,12,16) with a large amount of nba talent (doesn't necessarily correlate, but if he wants to use it as a performance measurement to arrive at 'dominance') should have performed better... thus the pac10 underperformed compared to all their talent.

1. i follow players coming out of HS -> ncaa -> nba
2. lack of success or success doesn't translate. wow, what an original thought. maybe you should write a book.
3. the original post you responded to referred to the pac10 players of the past 3 drafts. in those drafts, the majority of those players played well for their teams. i don't see how you can come to a conclusion that they've underperformed collectively as a whole. you have to take into account that some coaches just aren't that good. i mean come on, prospects coming from ucla will always struggle offensively due to the shitty offense they run. as individual players, i think a lot of them did the best that they could do with what they were given.

Nick Young
Gabe Pruitt
Marcus Williams

Hawes

DeRozen / Gibson were probably also underperformers... those USC teams despite the violations and amount of talent made a sweet sixteen, lost in r32 and r64 the other years

nick young was a 3 year starter and went in the middle of the first round? gabe pruitt is a huge reach. he barely snuck into the first round.

most would argue mayo is pretty dumb. maybe he was overhyped but he was a 20 ppg as a freshman. gibson was a 4 year starter and went bottom of round 1, was pac 10 DPOY, and is 1st team all rookie. he didn't go high in the draft. for the production he's had he clearly went too low.

derozan i'll give you is a project guy but he wasn't invisible. he was pac 10 tournament MVP.

your examples are pretty terrible here.

I don't know because I don't pay attention all that much, but I'm speaking on a general level that the nba drafts more on potential for underclassmen

09 draft underclassmen in the first round (Fr or So):
Harden [conference player of the year and consensus all-american]
Evans [I'm not certain he won any post-season awards]
Flynn [all-big east 2nd team]
DeRozan [made pac-10 all-freshman team, 13.9 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.5 apg]
Jennings [technically would have been Fr, averaged 5.5 points, 2.2 assists, and 1.5 steals per game in the league]
Daye [did not make WCC all-conference teams, 12.7 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.1 bpg]
Johnson [third team all-acc as a freshman and sophomore]
Holiday [made pac-10 all freshman team, 8.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.7 apg]
Teague [2nd team all acc and all-american]
Mullens [made big-10 all-freshman team, 8.8 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.1 bpg]

relative to the production of other players, I'd say there are a number of players there that were drafted more on potential than on productino

1. i follow players coming out of HS -> ncaa -> nba
2. lack of success or success doesn't translate. wow, what an original thought. maybe you should write a book.
3. the original post you responded to referred to the pac10 players of the past 3 drafts. in those drafts, the majority of those players played well for their teams. i don't see how you can come to a conclusion that they've underperformed collectively as a whole. you have to take into account that some coaches just aren't that good. i mean come on, prospects coming from ucla will always struggle offensively due to the shitty offense they run. as individual players, i think a lot of them did the best that they could do with what they were given.

they have 23.3% of 1st round NBA coming from the NCAA and 12.5% of the elite 8 spots. ( i can do sweet 16 if we want)

Nick Young
Gabe Pruitt
Marcus Williams

Hawes

gabe pruitt?
really? didn't do shit at abcd camp in HS, so i'm not sure what was expected of him in college. there's a ton of top 20 hs pg's who never end up big like mustafa shakur.

mayo was on a shitty team, but he was a very talented player in college and still is. it's not like he's joining a squad that is established as a top 10 team. he was the team. nothing changed when derozan went there.

robin lopez? highly touted in HS, yea, but never better than brook. could he have been better stat wise? yea, maybe if he didn't play on the same team as his brother.

apparently skibbi thinks you're over drafted if you go in the middle of the first round or lower and become an effective rotation player in the nba, which is what r. lopez, young, and gibson are.

dejuan blair: over drafted bum, went high in the 2nd round and can't even crack the starting line up for the spurs!

but seriously, the odds of even getting a good bench player/spot starter, especially as a rookie, in the 2nd half of round 1 or lower are pretty low.

I'm glad that that USC team with 4/5 NBA first rounders was a bad team.

The pac10 had 23 % of 1st round talent from the NCAA and 12.5% of the elite 8s

we can do recruiting classes, but alas my work interest is terrible... so later.

apparently skibbi thinks you're over drafted if you go in the middle of the first round or lower and become an effective rotation player in the nba, which is what r. lopez, young, and gibson are.

dejuan blair: over drafted bum, went high in the 2nd round and can't even crack the starting line up for the spurs!

but seriously, the odds of even getting a good bench player/spot starter, especially as a rookie, in the 2nd half of round 1 or lower are pretty low.

I wasn't commenting on NBA skills, just college performance.

Back